Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 31st July 2008, 12:43   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Mounting instructions, as shown in the application-
Attachment 33962
Cool, thanks. Just as expected.

If you plan to use this software a lot, I would suggest making a special little mount for your iphone. You can use foam and rubberbands. It will greatly reduce the vibrations (especially on indian roads!) and give you better results.

A few days back I was looking at graphs of an accelerometer on a model helicopter with and without a cushioning system and the difference it made was quite huge! See the graphs here: Good Vibes

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:46   #32
BHPian

Is there any such application for GPS enabled phones? I think most of the equipment used by magazines for testing is GPS based, so there should be some windows mobile software out here.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Is there any such application for GPS enabled phones? I think most of the equipment used by magazines for testing is GPS based, so there should be some windows mobile software out here.
I found this one on googling.
Tempes GT

The key question is an application like dynolicious available on N95 which has also has a 3D accelerometer ? There are many N95 users in India (and elsewhere), and then we can make use of such a neat application.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
There are a few such applications for GPS enabled phones - I had one on my Tytn II, but the phone has been sold and I cant quite remember the name of the software. There are 3 freeware applications and a couple of commercial ones, all of which work on GPS (obviously, your phone needs to be GPS enabled).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some Nokia (like n95), and an upcoming Samsung mobile has the accelerometer.

And even the opensource OpenMoko FreeRunner Linux Phone India - Open Moko Free Runner Linux Mobile Phone Review, Features & Specifications has it. This one is already available in India.

Edit:- OpenMoko's india distributors:- IDA Systems - Home

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 3rd August 2008 at 16:18.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 02:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
...please compare this software with a vbox and post the results?
Here is one for you taddu :
Fourtitude Forums: Dynolicious iPhone Performance Meter Tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
...Acc and G force wise it'l will be way more accurate than the dyno figures it will provide....
And one for you shan:
Dynolicious vs. V-Box and Dynojet - Autoblog

Not bad for $13.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 02:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After unstrapping the Slut, we double-checked our tire pressures (38 psi all around for daily driving), inputted our estimated weight (2,900 pounds, with 1/4 tank of fuel and a monkey in the driver's seat), estimated drivetrain loss (17 percent) and set off to make a few passes. We ran to 60 six separate times, with semi-consistent launches (although we weren't clutch dropping for the quickest time) and recorded output figures ranging from 125 to 141 hp. Excluding the outliers, our average "Peak Horsepower" rating was 129 hp. Dynolicious' website says that its software provides both wheel horsepower and engine horsepower figures, but the only information displayed (see right) is the "Peak Horsepower" calculation. If that's supposed to be power to the wheels, its close, but far from exact.
I don't think it's worth it as a dyno but as a performance tester, it does the job well!!!

Coz if we were to fit that BMW with skinny tyres, the bhp at the wheels and crank shouldn't change, but the i-phone doesn't take that into acount and will give a much lower bhp figure based on the drop if acc due to traction losses.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 07:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

is it available on 1.1.4? Or should we upgrade to 2.0 to get this application?
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 13:37   #39
BHPian

Its from the App store and is for version 2.0
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:34   #40
BHPian

I already have this software on my iPhone, can anybody please let me know the average drivetrain loss for Opel Corsa 1.4? I wanna try and test this on my 2003 Corsa and see what the results are.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I already have this software on my iPhone, can anybody please let me know the average drivetrain loss for Opel Corsa 1.4?
-Pramod
That is interesting. Do you need this data on the average drivetrain loss even to get the 0-60mph results or only to calculate the horse power at the driving wheels?

If we need this data, how do we find out what it is? For example, for Palio 1.2 NV ELX, what is the average drivetrain loss?
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:21   #42
BHPian

you have to enter the Vechile info which need Weight in lbs and Drivetrain Loss in percentage, this means to run any test first we have to in these 2 values, I read in review section that the average losses are in range of 12-17% but not sure if this is true for our cars. That's why people who have done some Dyno of indian cars would be in better position to tell what would be the average drivetrain losses.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
is it available on 1.1.4? Or should we upgrade to 2.0 to get this application?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Its from the App store and is for version 2.0
You need 2.0 firmware, and for those who do not know yet, iTunes has a India App store now, so you can pay with an Indian credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks a ton for both!

And we did even more testing last weekend, the timings given by the software is pretty consistent. Unfortunately, the higher ambient temperatures, and the fact that the bigger intercoolers were in the boot, rather than on the car, meant "horrendous" timings of low 17s to the quarter mile.

Quote:
I already have this software on my iPhone, can anybody please let me know the average drivetrain loss for Opel Corsa 1.4? I wanna try and test this on my 2003 Corsa and see what the results are.
-Pramod
I used 20%, have no idea whether that is accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
That is interesting. Do you need this data on the average drivetrain loss even to get the 0-60mph results or only to calculate the horse power at the driving wheels?
The weight of the car and the drive train losses are entered in when you create a profile for your car, and is not needed if you just want the timings only. These are just used to calculate estimated HP.

And dont give too much importance to the HP values it is showing. For the Peted(stage 2) Elantras, it has been showing estimated power between 130 and 170+. Wild variations I would say, even though boost used differed, of course.

The weight fed to the software was 1500Kg = unladen weight of the car(1400kg) + 100kg(driver, two amps, a boxed sub, and a full tank of Diesel.)
Quote:
you have to enter the Vechile info which need Weight in lbs and Drivetrain Loss in percentage, this means to run any test first we have to in these 2 values
Wrong, as I was mentioning above.
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:24   #44
BHPian

Ok guys ,tryed out the software on my mondeo petrol today morning.It was raining ,so wet road and also the road had a bend so had to slow down before the 1/4 mile.

car = mondeo petrol [stock]
0-20=2.5
0-40=5.2
0-60 = 9.8
1/4 mile= 17.4
topspeed =77 miles

Will try again on a dry road , will also try to find a long enough road.
By the way tadukuttan how did u get the screen
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
By the way tadukuttan how did u get the screen
Hold the home button pressed while pressing the top power button. The phone will take a screen shot of what ever is on screen at that point, and you will have the picture in your pictures folder. When you take the screen shot, the display does a slow flash, so you know it worked.
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote