Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 23:42   #1666
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Experts, please help.
Here's the situation:
1. We stay in Mumbai and last window AC (Carrier) lasted ~6 years with very limited usage. Pollution might be the reason for the coil leaking multiple times.
2. We need our next AC to last 10 years with regular maintenance and nothing else.
3. We need a window AC of ~1 ton capacity. 0.75 is not an option. 1.5 might be an overkill.
4. Because the usage is limited to a few hours every night during summer, fancy technologies and star ratings would not be a major deciding factor.

'Reliability and long life' being the major criteria, I have shortlisted only O General till now. What other brands should I add to the shortlist?

Thanks in advance
OGeneral is good enough and you can check out whirlpool as well. Excellent cooling.
Dont go for a bluestar as all of the ones i have encountered are pathetic!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:26   #1667
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Again a window? If on a budget look at BlueStar and Voltas Window ACs along with Panasonic Cube 1.25T, Else Hitachi.
Have no experience with any other brand, hence not mentioning.
Thanks mashmash. Have ruled out Voltas already. There are 3 in the family. Would check out Panasonic.

My window AC slot is perfect. It is not part of the actual window, in fact it is not even on the same wall. The slot is at 5'10" height, so no direct blast of cold air on the body. It is part of a double wall, so absolutely no part of the AC unit is exposed to the elements. I love that arrangement. Budget is not a criteria. Getting a split would mean closing the existing slot and losing part of the space outside the window for the outdoor unit. Too much of a compromise for me just to get lower sound levels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
OGeneral is good enough and you can check out whirlpool as well. Excellent cooling.
Dont go for a bluestar as all of the ones i have encountered are pathetic!
Thanks Harry10. I have hardly seen Whirlpool on display at eZone, Chroma etc. Let me look out for it.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:54   #1668
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Hello people,

the heat is picking up. and my old ACs are begging me to retire them coz they won't be able to take the onslaught of the sun's fury no more.

i'm looking at Split ACs from 3 brands, Hitachi, Daikin & General. If you own/ have owned any of these 3 brands then do share your experiences with the same.

The main parameter is not money. I'm looking at trouble free operation and excellent customer support.

1. Hitachi Ace Cutout
2. Daikin G series
3. General ASG18A

Which one should i get ?

Cheers & enjoy the Summers !

Rana
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:41   #1669
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hello people,

the heat is picking up. and my old ACs are begging me to retire them coz they won't be able to take the onslaught of the sun's fury no more.

i'm looking at Split ACs from 3 brands, Hitachi, Daikin & General. If you own/ have owned any of these 3 brands then do share your experiences with the same.

The main parameter is not money. I'm looking at trouble free operation and excellent customer support.

1. Hitachi Ace Cutout
2. Daikin G series
3. General ASG18A

Which one should i get ?

Cheers & enjoy the Summers !

Rana
Is there any special reason for Split?

I have three Hitachi, 2 window and one split. All have given me excellent service with fantastic cooling. If you have space for window AC go for it, as there is less problem in both installation as well as future maintenance - in case the window unit malfunctions you just slide it out and replace it with a good one.

The only advantage of the split is that it does not require a window and is much quieter, but then in case of any problem, the minimum you spend is for the gas even during warranty.

My window AC are mounted high so that there is no direct blast. The latest Hitachi split has self cleaning function, I have yet to figure out how.

If budget is not a constraint look for VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) models. These come with an out door unit and a number of indoor units. As long as all the indoor units are not on, the outdoor unit can be smaller than the sum total of indoor units. VRF units are extremely efficient and can supply cooling from 20% to 120% of the rated capacity of the outdoor unit, to the indoor units. Thus if you require 5 x 1.5 ton AC in 3 bedrooms and the drawing room, and at any time only 3 are on, the outdoor of the VRF units can be 4.5 tons to cater to peak load. The unit can supply as low as 1 ton when only one indoor unit is on at rated efficiency and power consumption. You can Google VRF AC and get all the information.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:16   #1670
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
Hi Friends, I ordered two split ACs today -
1 - Panasonic CS-YC24MKY 2.0 Ton
Capacity : 2.0 ton, 6.40kW
Price : 28950
Living Room Area : 245 sq ft including furniture

2 - Panasonic CS-YC9MKY
Capacity : 0.75 ton, 2.53kW
Price : 16450
Bed Room area : 110 sq ft including wardrobe

Installation : 1000
Stand : 500
Extra Cable : 30 per ft
Extra Pipe : 180/200 per ft

Initially I was looking for Hitachi ACE follow me and Panasonic inverter series (both around 75K+ for above config) but decided to trust this stripped version of Panasonic as per my current requirement - just need a plain AC which should be able to cool my flat. Not interested in green tech or sms control or aroma / virus filters.

I already have a Samsung window AC running fine for last 4 years. Its front control touch panel died few months back and Samsung doesnt supply that part anymore. So controlling it with remote only.

This thread has been a great help for making my decision. Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Will keep you all updated about how these machines perform.
You bought the 2ton split panasonic for 28950 only?I thought they were over 35000. Is this the Pearl or the Sapphire series?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:30   #1671
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
planning to buy a .75 ton window ac. Now a days i have noticed that even split AC's prices have come down. So better to go for a split AC or a window? please suggest some model numbers along with their prices. by budget is 15k +- 2k
any suggestions guys?? which one is a better brand for ACs when it comes to samsung , LG and whirlpool?
wmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:54   #1672
BHPian
 
dvprasad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: chennai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Consumer Electronics go kaput one after another - advice needed on dealing with it

My Onida Split AC went kaput yday.My 29 inch Sansui CRT TV went kaput 2 weeks ago

Both are more than 6 years old.

Both were serviced by our neighborhood electricians & not by Authorized agencies.

Electrician said that our compressor was faulty & had to be replaced in our AC.

This along with Gas filling + labor charges + other spare parts would work out to 8000rs.

I am wondering if it is worth spending so much when we can get a new window a/c for twice as much.

I have anyway booked a service appointment with Onida Authorized agency to get a second Opinion.

I am clueless about the TV, since we have never had any problems with it.

Request your advice on :

1) Best Brand & model for budget AC & best place to buy this (Rathna Fan house is where we usually by in chennai)
2) Split/Window - We have provision for both in our 140 sqft room..Our LG window ac has never caused any problems, though cooling is not on par with split ac
3) Can you recommend anyone who can accurately diagnose actual problem & repair my ac & TV in a VFM solution

Thanks
dvprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:03   #1673
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hello people,

the heat is picking up. and my old ACs are begging me to retire them coz they won't be able to take the onslaught of the sun's fury no more.

i'm looking at Split ACs from 3 brands, Hitachi, Daikin & General. If you own/ have owned any of these 3 brands then do share your experiences with the same.

The main parameter is not money. I'm looking at trouble free operation and excellent customer support.

1. Hitachi Ace Cutout
2. Daikin G series
3. General ASG18A

Which one should i get ?

Cheers & enjoy the Summers !

Rana
Daikin period. Have all 3 and nothing comes close to Daikin in performance and silence
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:04   #1674
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
planning to buy a .75 ton window ac. Now a days i have noticed that even split AC's prices have come down. So better to go for a split AC or a window? please suggest some model numbers along with their prices. by budget is 15k +- 2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
any suggestions guys?? which one is a better brand for ACs when it comes to samsung , LG and whirlpool?
Of the three brands that you have listed, only Whirlpool is worth spending your money on.
BTW I was wondering what is the area you are looking to cool with a 0.75 ton in Delhi heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Experts, please help.
See my replies in bold within your queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Here's the situation:
1. We stay in Mumbai and last window AC (Carrier) lasted ~6 years with very limited usage. Pollution might be the reason for the coil leaking multiple times.

Salty sea breeze is the reason, pollution is everywhere.

2. We need our next AC to last 10 years with regular maintenance and nothing else.

General and nothing else.

3. We need a window AC of ~1 ton capacity. 0.75 is not an option. 1.5 might be an overkill.

On an average a 1 ton is sufficient for up to 160 sq. feet rooms in Bombay.

4. Because the usage is limited to a few hours every night during summer, fancy technologies and star ratings would not be a major deciding factor.

'Reliability and long life' being the major criteria, I have shortlisted only O General till now. What other brands should I add to the shortlist?

Keep life simple, get the General.

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Again a window? If on a budget look at BlueStar and Voltas Window ACs along with Panasonic Cube 1.25T, Else Hitachi.
Have no experience with any other brand, hence not mentioning.
Avoid Bluestar and Voltas like the plague. Hitachi window air cons are not worth the money they charge. Cube is not a window model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hello people,

the heat is picking up. and my old ACs are begging me to retire them coz they won't be able to take the onslaught of the sun's fury no more.

i'm looking at Split ACs from 3 brands, Hitachi, Daikin & General. If you own/ have owned any of these 3 brands then do share your experiences with the same.

The main parameter is not money. I'm looking at trouble free operation and excellent customer support.

1. Hitachi Ace Cutout
2. Daikin G series
3. General ASG18A

Which one should i get ?

Cheers & enjoy the Summers !

Rana
To meet the criteria set out by you and marked in bold, get the Daikin. Do ensure that you buy from a company authorized dealer and not from some one posing to be one. More importantly the installation should be done by the in house team of the direct dealer and not some part time installer that the dealer outsources the job to (to take care of the summer rush).

If pure cooling with reliable performance were the main criteria followed by company support then General would be the make to go with.

Leave the Hitachi out of this race, they are just charging for the brand name for not so great products.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:06   #1675
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

1. So for my bedrooms i can go in for 3 x 1.5 Daikin.

2. Now for my living hall where the ACs will not be used much, i think i don't need a very fancy/expensive AC with overflowing technologies and i guess i can use a more economical and simple AC in there as i need 2 x 1.5 for the living hall.

So amongst the economy models the choice is bewildering. Which is the best brand amongst LG, Samsung, Voltas, Blue-star, Onida, Whirlpool, Electrolux etc ?

Thanks
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:24   #1676
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Request help with diagnosis:
I set the temperature of 21 on my Carrier AC yesterday night and noticed that even after 20-30 minutes the room is not feeling cool enough. Picked up a analog thermometer & a watch and started noting down the AC's behaviour. After restarting the AC (a la Windows style ), measured the temperature at the blower and it was in the 13-15 degrees range. The room temperature was around 26. The compressor was ON and kept running for next 5 minutes and then it cut off. The room temperature was around 24 at that point of time. I was surprised that without the room reaching the intended 21, how come the compressor cut off? May be the return-air temperature sensor is too close to the blower. Moved the sensor as far as away from the blower. Now the temp sensor is sticking out of the AC and is atleast a foot away from the blower. Nothing happened for another 5-6 minutes and then the compressor kicked in again. The room temperature was around 25. After another 8 odd minutes it cut-off again without the room reaching 21 degrees and the cycle continued.
During the next 1.5 hours, only twice did the compressor actually cut-off at the right temperature of 21. And it let the room temperature to drop to even 25-26 levels before the compressor kicking in again.

What is the threshold from the set-temperature, (after dropping to which), the compressor should kick in again? Half a degree, one degree or 3-4 degrees?

I suspect a faulty temp. sensor. Any other thing that could result in such a behaviour? Compressor overload or gas-pressure may be?

Any simple DIY solutions? Thanks in advance

Last edited by SDP : 23rd April 2011 at 07:31.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:33   #1677
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Request help with diagnosis:
I set the temperature of 21 on my Carrier AC yesterday night and noticed that even after 20-30 minutes the room is not feeling cool enough. Picked up a analog thermometer & a watch and started noting down the AC's behaviour. After restarting the AC (a la Windows style ), measured the temperature at the blower and it was in the 13-15 degrees range. The room temperature was around 26. The compressor was ON and kept running for next 5 minutes and then it cut off. The room temperature was around 24 at that point of time. I was surprised that without the room reaching the intended 21, how come the compressor cut off? May be the return-air temperature sensor is too close to the blower. Moved the sensor as far as away from the blower. Now the temp sensor is sticking out of the AC and is atleast a foot away from the blower. Nothing happened for another 5-6 minutes and then the compressor kicked in again. The room temperature was around 25. After another 8 odd minutes it cut-off again without the room reaching 21 degrees and the cycle continued.
During the next 1.5 hours, only twice did the compressor actually cut-off at the right temperature of 21. And it let the room temperature to drop to even 25-26 levels before the compressor kicking in again.

What is the threshold from the set-temperature, (after dropping to which), the compressor should kick in again? Half a degree, one degree or 3-4 degrees?

I suspect a faulty temp. sensor. Any other thing that could result in such a behaviour? Compressor overload or gas-pressure may be?

Any simple DIY solutions? Thanks in advance
As you have used the thermometer to calibrate the sensor, the answer is obvious. Your temparature is out by 4 degrees. Use that information and set the thermostat to 16 and check the behaviour. If it works, get the temparature circuit checked. Just changing the sensor may not work if the rest of the electronics is faulty.

I have observed that the temparature settings keep drifting with the out side temparature, don't ask me why. The room temparature is too high in the day time and too cold at nights, for the same settings. There fore I use lower temparature settings during day and higher temparature at night. If the differential between outside and required temparature is less than 5 degrees the behaviour is erratic.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:55   #1678
BHPian
 
amk_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 60
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
You bought the 2ton split panasonic for 28950 only?I thought they were over 35000. Is this the Pearl or the Sapphire series?
Yes, I did. They are Pearl series. Actual model numbers are mentioned in my post.

Now its a week since both units were installed and overall I am satisfied with the performance.

Need to isolate a passage and kitchen entry from my living room and will then review AC performance again.
amk_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:34   #1679
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Gents, while considering top of line AC do include Mitsubishi in you list as well

I would rate them in this order..

1. Mitsubishi (by far the best, may not be available averywhere, more expensive than Daikin) Air Conditioning - MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC in INDIA
2. Daikin
3. Hitachi
4. Panasonic
4. Sharp (technical quality comparable to Hitachi, but presence would be limited to metro, hence rated lower) :: Welcome To Sharp India ::

Last edited by Anupam : 23rd April 2011 at 12:37.
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 02:08   #1680
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
2. Now for my living hall where the ACs will not be used much, i think i don't need a very fancy/expensive AC with overflowing technologies and i guess i can use a more economical and simple AC in there as i need 2 x 1.5 for the living hall.

So amongst the economy models the choice is bewildering. Which is the best brand amongst LG, Samsung, Voltas, Blue-star, Onida, Whirlpool, Electrolux etc ?

Thanks
Please read my above post in its totality, the answer to your above query is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Any simple DIY solutions?
Write a reminder to yourself not to buy Carrier again ever. I do not say this in jest but in all seriousness based on personal experiences with the afore mentioned and almost all brands discused in this thread and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam
I would rate them in this order..

1. Mitsubishi (by far the best, may not be available averywhere, more expensive than Daikin)
Mitsubishi does make good machines but it will be another day when they catch up with either Daikin or even Fujitsu, Sharp and Sanyo for that matter. At best they are at par with the top of the line Panasonic machines. As for the costs if someone is selling Mitsubishis at a price point higher than Daikin etc. well the smart Alec is definitely making a killing.

BTW for a complete list see here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2300310 (Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?)
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 158 23rd July 2017 19:42
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks