Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 16:22   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

O-General or Panasonic only. Both should be equally good and you can decide based on price. My preference would be Panasonic in split and O-general in window. We have 2 of O-general installed at our home, and because of its efficiency and blower power, use it at a higher temp (28C in a 10*15 room, with 3 people in Delhi summers).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:27   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 944 Times
Default

kb100,
I have 3 Hitachi splits in my home and they work well in hot summers of hyd. The power consumption is also economical!!We also have one Carrier window(all are 1.5 tons) and is very efficient.
Personal knowledge is HItachi were supposed to have best compressors for a/c. Costed 38k each 5 years back(if i remember it right)
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:30   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
kb100,
I have 3 Hitachi splits in my home and they work well in hot summers of hyd. The power consumption is also economical!!We also have one Carrier window(all are 1.5 tons) and is very efficient.
Personal knowledge is HItachi were supposed to have best compressors for a/c. Costed 38k each 5 years back(if i remember it right)
This could well be the case, since Hitachi has acquired a good rep. now. I recommended O-general because I have had a good experience with it. Carrier???: could be for you, but definitely not in my ownership experience (2002-04).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:33   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

National is now sold as Panasonic here. Of the 3 mentioned by kb100, the O general stands out by a mile. Cheaper alternatives would be Samsung, Onida & Godrej. I think you are going to shift residences soon, in that case a window is easier to shift.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:37   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Friends

The last couple of nights have been BAD! Its really been cooking in Cbe!

We have deferred the AC purchase in Cbe - because the weather is largely pleasant year round (except for one month perhaps) . THe evening are especially good with a stiff breeze blowing almost year round! BUT I am starting to believe Global Warming theories. Each year has been progressively bad and last two nights its been impossible to sleep!

I have decided to put an 1.5 ton split(no provision for window) and would like to know which is the BEST and the MOST EFFICIENT AC in this category. From all your last years posts I have narrowed down to between HItachi/ Panasonic and OGeneral - how would these stack up. and what would the prices be?

I need this installed tomorrow itself if possible!
KB I hear you man, the last two days have been really hot in Bangalore as well and if this is any indication of the times to come things will only get worse. I am also looking at the same options for my house. I have a couple of Voltas 1.5 T window a/c's back home in Doon and they are working fine though I find them a little noisy.

In my house in Bangalore I am also looking at split. What are the prices of OGeneral and Hitachi 1.5 split?
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:43   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
In my house in Bangalore I am also looking at split. What are the prices of OGeneral and Hitachi 1.5 split?
They should be close to 50K (I checked last year). I know a person in the AC business, and perhaps Godrej (Gree manufactured) are also an acceptable option for 1.5 split. I think the E-on series.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:25   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
They should be close to 50K (I checked last year). I know a person in the AC business, and perhaps Godrej (Gree manufactured) are also an acceptable option for 1.5 split. I think the E-on series.
Thanks Vasudeva. Wow 50K is a little more than I would be willing to spend.
Godrej, hmm now thats a new one. Any feedback/experienes with it?
I know of someone who got an awesome deal on bluestar. Worth going there?
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:32   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Vasudeva. Wow 50K is a little more than I would be willing to spend.
Godrej, hmm now thats a new one. Any feedback/experienes with it?
I know of someone who got an awesome deal on bluestar. Worth going there?
50K would perhaps include all (stabiliser+installation). These are 2008 prices and present prices may be nearabouts. Godrej is not a new one, but some of their split ACs (mentioned above) are by Gree, and are quite good. This is a solution if you do not want to spend on Panasonic or O-General. My experience with O-General has been good and they are cost effective (worth the higher price in terms of money saved). However, I would also say Godrej/Gree if your usage is lower. Personally I always prefer a window since that gives to me more intense cooling (compared with diffused cooling of a split), gives a blast like effect, and thus can be used at a higher temp (meaning lower bills). However, in some cases, split is the only option (as in my drawing room).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:42   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
50K would perhaps include all (stabiliser+installation). These are 2008 prices and present prices may be nearabouts. Godrej is not a new one, but some of their split ACs (mentioned above) are by Gree, and are quite good. This is a solution if you do not want to spend on Panasonic or O-General. My experience with O-General has been good and they are cost effective (worth the higher price in terms of money saved). However, I would also say Godrej/Gree if your usage is lower. Personally I always prefer a window since that gives to me more intense cooling (compared with diffused cooling of a split), gives a blast like effect, and thus can be used at a higher temp (meaning lower bills). However, in some cases, split is the only option (as in my drawing room).
Hmm, well being in Bangalore I do not expect the usage to be too high as the nights are cool. So compared to the North I would expect a much lesser usage. I still havent decided if we would want to have one each in the bedroom and drawingroom. Hows the multi split option? One of the posts I read mentioned that as well. Take a 2T and split it between DR and BR.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:52   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hows the multi split option? One of the posts I read mentioned that as well. Take a 2T and split it between DR and BR.
Nobody is giving multi-splits at a rational price in India!
In any case, I'd suggest two independent units. With the multi, it takes one fault in the compressor/condenser unit to put everything out!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:54   #221
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

I have an O-General installed in my house, sadly it did not live up to the hype. The catch here which most fail to understand is that its fan speed is pretty high compared to others, but the cooling level is average. My other AC's LG/Samsung/Videocon/National,etc. offer superior cooling.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:56   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I just want a regular split... I already have a window AC lying idle for the last three years because our house gives no provision for one. ANd for the cost of the civil works involved in trying to fix one - and then undoing the damage while leaving, I can get myself two splits! (even the windows are aluminium - that coupled to a nerdy association)

I guess I am most interested in the 'ability to cool' - I was most unhappy with LG window in this dept.

To my mind the life of an AC is going to be 5 yrs - after which things are bound to start going wrong. So long as it gives me trouble free operation for this duration I'd be happy

Last edited by kb100 : 24th February 2009 at 18:01.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:58   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
I have an O-General installed in my house, sadly it did not live up to the hype. The catch here which most fail to understand is that its fan speed is pretty high compared to others, but the cooling level is average.
Bhp1, how is the cooling with the fan speed reduced? Should certainly show improvement.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:00   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Stay away from Godrej,not at all good.
Hitachi, O general are very good, Hitachi splits are excellent.
Even Onida is good as it uses the same compressor as Hitachi and is also cheaper in price.
Samsung is a big no.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:29   #225
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

@Anup, yes that is what we had to settle in for, but this depletes the said advantage it had. In North India, summers are extreme & O-Gen. doesn't offer any respite. To be precise, it throws air at cooler's speed, but cooling is pretty low.
I prefer LG/Samsung anyday over O General.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 169 20th November 2017 14:39
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks