Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 15:09   #2956
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,120
Thanked: 992 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Aroy, that is a great price for the 1.5 ton Daikin. Would you mind sharing who the dealer is either here or via pm. BTW all new units come fully charged from the factory and are also completely imported even when they have R22, unless something has changed in recent years.
The dealer is a friend of my son, based in C R Park. They mostly supply to projects. In case you are interested PM me and I will send you the details.

Many Diakin models in the R22 range are made in India, it is only the R410 and multi-splits that are imported.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 15:27   #2957
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 106
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I bought a Daikin FTKD60FVM unit for 48000 plus installation in Mumbai. It is a 1.8 ton inverter model running on R22 gas. It is super silent. The indoor and outdoor units are fully imported from Thailand.
Reason I chose the R22-
1. R22 model is cheaper
2. I suspect that in the short term (3 years) R410 may not be easily available for service.
3. R22 is supposedly more efficient
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 18:21   #2958
BHPian
 
isldhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 201
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I was looking for an ac for my room measuring 13' * 13'. All the showroom owners suggested 1.5 ton . I had a look at the sharp models and saw a model 18lmt which is last years 3* but this years 2*. It is available for 30 K. My usage would be for about 8-9 hours daily. This would be at night time and I have a room built on top of my room, so the room does not get that hot.
What sir would be the difference in power consumption between this model and a 5 star one.
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 20:40   #2959
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 886
Thanked: 4,834 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Today my 10 years old 1.5 ton kenstar window ac gave up. So am exchanging it with a Hitachi 1.5 ton 3 star window ac. Hope Hitachi will serve well. If any one has got any experience with Hitachi please let me know.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 20:44   #2960
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 315
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Just booked Hitachi KAZE Plus window AC (1.5T 3*) from Croma for 29,651. They have given stabilizer free (Premier brand). Installation charges are 550 extra. Additionally, the installation guy would be charging 750 extra for installing the brackets for supporting the window AC. I will also have to buy a 15A plug as well (60Rs?). Total damage done is 31k.

Luckily, they had 5% cash back offer on SBI credit card (last date today). So I will be getting Rs1480 back in 2 months.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 01:56   #2961
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 421 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
I was looking for an ac for my room measuring 13' * 13'. All the showroom owners suggested 1.5 ton . I had a look at the sharp models and saw a model 18lmt which is last years 3* but this years 2*. It is available for 30 K. My usage would be for about 8-9 hours daily. This would be at night time and I have a room built on top of my room, so the room does not get that hot.
What sir would be the difference in power consumption between this model and a 5 star one.
I am using the same model with almost same size of room since a year. The product is awesome, No doubt about that. It consumes 2 units, when ran for continuous 1 hour at auto fan speed and 24 temperature. I don't have any idea about 5 star one. BTW i got it for 28.5k, in sept "12.

But, If you don't mind spending, then go for inverter AC. If you have around 10 hours of daily usage, Inverter is the way to go.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 09:41   #2962
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,134
Thanked: 3,733 Times
Default Aluminium Condensers

I am raising a thought which just came to my mind.

While we are all aware of Spilt AC condensers failing due to corrosion specially in coastal or polluted areas.

We have barely come across cases of car AC condensers failing due to the same reason. These are invariably made of Aluminium. Accident or gravel damage yes, but age / corrosion no.

Why?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 09:53   #2963
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 527
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

How are voltas split a/c, which model to look for in 1.5 t capacity? Or any other suggestion same range ?
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:00   #2964
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,081
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Aluminium Condensers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
.....
While we are all aware of Spilt AC condensers failing due to corrosion specially in coastal or polluted areas.

We have barely come across cases of car AC condensers failing due to the same reason. .....
Why?
I have also wondered about this.
I think the reason is that car AC systems have pipe connections made with rubber hoses and compression fittings whereas home ACs have pipes brazed to each other.
I do suspect that most of these reported cases of condenser failures are not condenser tube failures as such but are failures at the brazed pipe connections. Are they?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:48   #2965
NGM
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 73
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Temperature in trivandrum is rising and i have decided that it is difficult to live without an air conditioner.I have gone through the previous pages and saw good feedback about Daikin,General,Sharp and Panasonic. Also I am in a rental house now.Requirement given below.
1) 1.5 ton AC
2)Usage mainly in night after 8 PM during peak summer(March-May)
3)From my usage pattern i think i need not have to invest in a 5 star rated AC.

Considering all these what is the best VFM option to go for.Is panasonic better from a VFM point of view?
As i am planning to buy it this week itself,it will be great help if someone can point out some good brand/models .Thanx.
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:09   #2966
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Aluminium Condensers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am raising a thought which just came to my mind.

While we are all aware of Spilt AC condensers failing due to corrosion specially in coastal or polluted areas.

We have barely come across cases of car AC condensers failing due to the same reason. These are invariably made of Aluminium. Accident or gravel damage yes, but age / corrosion no.

Why?
You may also add: proximity to nalas that carry hazardous industrial wastes, and degradable bio waste. Delhi/Noida/Ghaziabad has many such cases ...
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 09:16   #2967
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,134
Thanked: 3,733 Times
Default Re: Aluminium Condensers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think the reason is that car AC systems have pipe connections made with rubber hoses and compression fittings whereas home ACs have pipes brazed to each other......Are they?
Not necessarily. Brazing copper and Al is not an easy thing, so often the ends are copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You may also add: proximity to nalas that carry hazardous industrial wastes, and degradable bio waste. Delhi/Noida/Ghaziabad has many such cases ...
Well said.

I am getting a feeling that car AC condensers are of a a heavier and better grade of material.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:17   #2968
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Aluminium Condensers

Will do Aroy, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The dealer is a friend of my son, based in C R Park. They mostly supply to projects. In case you are interested PM me and I will send you the details.

Many Diakin models in the R22 range are made in India, it is only the R410 and multi-splits that are imported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I have also wondered about this.
I think the reason is that car AC systems have pipe connections made with rubber hoses and compression fittings whereas home ACs have pipes brazed to each other.
I do suspect that most of these reported cases of condenser failures are not condenser tube failures as such but are failures at the brazed pipe connections. Are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not necessarily. Brazing copper and Al is not an easy thing, so often the ends are copper.

Well said.

I am getting a feeling that car AC condensers are of a a heavier and better grade of material.
That would have to be the case as components installed in vehicles do need to sustain higher dynamic loads necessitating more robust construction.
Another factor that might be contributing to the numerous cases of early decay of fixed acs is that they are just that fixed. Stuck and getting exposed to wave after wave of contamination with no way of avoiding or getting it off, thus allow the hazardous chemicals to leech deeper and corrode faster. In comparison the same in vehicles would see some cleaning on account of air draft and the occasional spray and the fact that the exposure would not be regular at least not the quantum of it.



Gentlemen, now that I have your attention please take a few minutes to help out a non member reader of team-bhp. Manik is from Ludhiana and he messaged me on another forum seeking guidance from our in house experts here on this thread. I am posting his message verbatim for your perusal and recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/o khoj
I have been researching a lot on the internet about the air conditioners and one forum which has stood apart for me is team-bhp. I have read quite a lot of posts there from you and the sir from IIT and they are very helpful indeed. I have tried a couple of times to make an account there but sadly I can't seem to pass through.

Will it be possible for you to make this post on the air conditioner thread on my behalf? I have been following the thread from a long time and I believe that there are many knowledgeable and active people there whose advice will be very valuable for me.

In case you decide to accept my request, here is the message which is to be posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/o khoj
"I need to buy 3 AC for my home. Here is what I am thinking (Critiques are appreciated!):

1. Top floor 14.5x12 Room. South Wall partially exposed to direct sunlight. Mostly night usage.

I am thinking of buying this 1.5T Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 5 star AC. Excellent AC with 3.55 COP!



Alternative : Daikin 1.5T inverter(phasing out??) or Daikin 1.5T 3 Star or MHI 1.5T 4 star???



2. 2 rooms, 10x14.5 and 13x12 on 1st floor and is surrounded by rooms on all sides, top included. So no direct sunlight. Marble flooring too! (Living in Ludhiana.)
I have found out the optimum tonnage for the room should be about 1.1 ton. However, the 1ton inverter can overwork itself upto 1.2tons initially to cool faster, hence overcoming the problem.

Normal power consumption of a 5star 1.5ton AC is about 1600W while for the one ton is just 950 watts. Even with 50:50 ratio of on-off cycle, the average power consumption for 1.5 ton will average out to be near 800w. The 1 ton one might consume additional power at first but when temperature will stabilize, it'll end up using almost same or maybe even less power. Hence there is no justification to spending 12k extra on 1.5ton AC.

I am confused about these two models here:

MHI 1.1T 5 star :

or

Daikin 1T Inverter R22.

My observations:

MHI 1.1 is rated at 12.2k BTU while Daikin 1T Inv is 10,900 (5,450-13600) BTU. So according to the specifications, the Daikin should be able produce more cooling power by overloading despite being underrated. Any comments on this? Can anyone with an inverter ac clarify how effective is this overloading?

MHI's power consumption is 750-1065W. From what i've read, it is due to the expansion valve which is found on MHI ac only.

I am tilted towards Daikin because on paper it looks better than MHI and has more useful features (Also I am somewhat fascinated by inverter technology and it's benefits ) but a dealer friend of mine is pushing for MHI one which according to him has better performance. There was also something about r22 + inverter being not so good as r410a + inverter.

What do you think guys? Any comments? Inverter owners specially please reply!

Note: No R410a because I already have normal copper wires installed inside the walls.

Thanks!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:27   #2969
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,701
Thanked: 2,988 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Guys, I have a question. Have been using Voltas 2.5 ton AC in my bedroom for many years. Few days back, it's failing to cool. The AC mechanic cleaned the unit, replaced the capacitor and still no luck. He said that compressor needs to be changed and said it would cost around 10k. I doubt whether the compressor is at fault since the compressor fan is working. If I need to change the compressor, will a 1 ton compressor work fine with this 2.5 ton split? The room is pretty big with two laptops running throughout the night.

Expecting a quick response. Need to make a decision tomo.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 19:00   #2970
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 2,198 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys, I have a question. Have been using Voltas 2.5 ton AC in my bedroom for many years. Few days back, it's failing to cool. The AC mechanic cleaned the unit, replaced the capacitor and still no luck. He said that compressor needs to be changed and said it would cost around 10k. I doubt whether the compressor is at fault since the compressor fan is working. If I need to change the compressor, will a 1 ton compressor work fine with this 2.5 ton split? The room is pretty big with two laptops running throughout the night.

Expecting a quick response. Need to make a decision tomo.
The fan and compressor has no direct relation as such. One unit can go faulty without affecting the other. And I guess you can't install a 1 ton compressor instead of a 2.5 ton compressor.

Check whether your system has the right amount of gas or not.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 168 11th October 2017 17:58
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks