Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 16:05   #3046
BHPian
 
omar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

The reason/s being? What would you suggest?
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 11:52   #3047
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 448 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
The reason/s being? What would you suggest?
I would recommend Sharp and General. Few complaints seem to be coming from Daikin owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Sure. The AC boxes has been delivered. Installation has been moved to tomorrow.
More for you, Jacs.

The Sharp a/c had been installed yesterday morning by a very nice guy. Great installation, testing and neat finish.

The room it is installed in (with a high roof) cooled within ~10 minutes of the a/c being switched on, temperature set to 20 degrees. Was fantastic and for now I'm very happy with this purchase.

Please excuse the poor mobile phone pictures, yesterday was a very busy day for using the dslr to photograph.


The installation kit (quite impressive)

Name:  ForumRunner_20130506_121136.png
Views: 1272
Size:  549.6 KB



The a/c back plate/side.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130506_121200.png
Views: 1534
Size:  540.5 KB



The drain pipe in the kit

Name:  ForumRunner_20130506_121214.png
Views: 1273
Size:  541.9 KB



The Sharp a/c itself. Sorry, the pic doesn't seem great but was taken in a rush last night. I'll share a better snap later.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130506_121231.png
Views: 1463
Size:  487.4 KB

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote,
(How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2013 at 12:28.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 11:25   #3048
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
I'm planning to get a Hitachi Ace 1.5 Ton Split AC (RAU518ETD). Am completely clueless about its performance or durability as this will be my first high end AC purchase. Is it a good unit? Getting it for 40,000 here in mumbai.
As some members have said, avoid Hitachi if service is bad. In Delhi, the service is good and I have 3 Hitachi, 2 window and one split and am very happy with the service.

I have recently bought a Daikin Inverter and it beats the non inverter AC hollow (all other Inverter AC are more expensive). With monotonically increasing electricity tariff, and Inverter is the only way to go, unless you use the Ac for about 2 hours a day for 4 months.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 12:16   #3049
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
More for you, Jacs.

The Sharp a/c had been installed yesterday morning by a very nice guy. Great installation, testing and neat finish.

The room it is installed in (with a high roof) cooled within ~10 minutes of the a/c being switched on, temperature set to 20 degrees. Was fantastic and for now I'm very happy with this purchase.
Thanks for the update. I would be more and more interested to see the actual power consumption trend as Invertors created such a hype in market now.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 09:49   #3050
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Mine too!
You just have to press the whole width of the temperature-button (use the thumb) along with the mode-button for a few seconds.
Try it!

True, In one of Daikin technical manuals I read that 'irregular waveform' of the power supply can also give the 'U4' error (which I get intermittently and not reproducible at my will.
Yes, the full Temp up/down button has to be pressed along with the mode. Thanks.

Last night we had some problem with our colonies distribution transformer and power came back on a single phase (erratic) I got U4 but then when power was restored for all of five minutes (before another bang) it was working fine.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:13   #3051
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 701
Thanked: 354 Times
Post Re: Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, the full Temp up/down button has to be pressed along with the mode. Thanks.

Last night we had some problem with our colonies distribution transformer and power came back on a single phase (erratic) I got U4 but then when power was restored for all of five minutes (before another bang) it was working fine.
Glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem!
This confirms that this problem is not with the machine but with the 'unclean' power supply.

Kudankulam Nuclear plant may start operating soon and I hope power-cuts will reduce in Tamilnadu, now there are power-cuts 4 to 5 times every night .

Last edited by manim : 8th May 2013 at 13:14.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:27   #3052
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Kudankulam Nuclear plant may start operating soon and I hope power-cuts will reduce in Tamilnadu, now there are power-cuts 4 to 5 times every night.
We have of late had about 20 hours of power a day. At the moment our transformer is kaput and I hope it is fixed soon. I am told by tomorrow.

The miracle I saw was in Gwalior, about 10 hours a day last year to 23+ hours now. Tariff up to Rs.7.00 per unit.

As for Kudankulam I really look forward to it, on principle. Having worked in and around reactor for five years I think Nuclear Power is probably the best.

Last edited by sgiitk : 8th May 2013 at 15:38.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 19:46   #3053
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... I think Nuclear Power is probably the best.
It 'probably' is.
Till something goes wrong. And it will. It is not a matter of whether, it is simply a matter of when.
That is the dreaded day. All accrued savings/benefits go down the drain in one fell swoop. No other accident can hold a candle to a nuclear mishap!
Is there any dearth of examples?

I would rather live with power outages than feel happy about commissioning another nuclear power station.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 09:36   #3054
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

@anupmathur; I will rather live next the Douneray (UK Atomic Power R & D Lab) than next to any UMPP or Chemical Plant. Even the obsolete, ill maintained Fukushima did not result in any major immediate casualties. No casualties in Three Mile Island either. The only Nuke accident resulting in casualties which I know of was Chernobyl - a terrible event. The damage by ash & smoke is 'innvisible', and chemical highly visible (Bhopal, Sevaso, Flixborough to name a few). Also, we will be in the dock in a big way due to Carbon Emissions. Imagine 2000MW worth of CO2!

I think this is a never ending debate, and let us agree to disagree otherwise we will end up hijacking the thread totally.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 13:16   #3055
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
...
This confirms that this problem is not with the machine but with the 'unclean' power supply.

.....
The major reason for unclean power is over drawing, and that will stop only when there is a discipline imposed on the power distribution utilities.

For 'dirty power" the only remedy is to "clean" it, and there are quite a few methods available to us consumers
. Use Capacitor-Inductor set up to dampen the harmonics
. Use Servo actuated auto transformers to regulate voltage swings
. Use AC-DC-AC converters to get clean stabilized power.

All these methods either by them selves or in combination are used by the industry.

That said, with suitable voltage cut-off devices most of the modern appliances (AC inclusive) would run merrily, though not always optimally (especially in chronic low voltage areas) on dirty mains power.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 21:26   #3056
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 788 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Guys,

I'm not someone who is very knowledgeable in white goods. Domestic compulsions are compelling me to delve a little deeper into this area.

My BR currently has a 14 year old (that's not a typo) Carrier 1.5 ton window A/C with a rotary compressor which has served me well over this period of time without a SINGLE problem. Only periodic maintenance was carried out over the years. This Carrier AC is made in Korea and was one of the so called 'high end' models sold back in 1998/99.

I am thinking of replacing it with a Daikin Inverter 1.5/1.8 ton split AC. The 2 other brands I have in mind are, in order of preference:

a) General
b) Panasonic

Having browsed thru this thread I am unable to make up my mind. Request TBHPians to help me in making the right choice. One of the other rooms in my home has a National/Panasonic window AC and a Daikin split approx. 1.8T AC, both installed in the early 2000s. They have been working just as well as the Carrier I referred to above. Hence the confusion.

PS - A couple of points about the environment:
a) I live in Pune. Which means hot and dry summers. This year has been particularly warm as Puneites will attest to. The AC will be used for about 3 months of the year - April to June. Once the monsoon sets in the AC is not in use.
b) In my area of the city, unscheduled load shedding is rare. MSEB performs their so called maintenance activities every Thursday but power is switched off for about 2-3 hours once a month. We enjoy 24x7 power supply, including stable voltage and frequency, a rarity in this country except on those occasions mentioned in the previous sentence. But all this comes at a cost of nearly Rs 9.5-10/KWh, all inclusive, at the current slab. Which lends itself to preferring a 5 star or an efficient appliance.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th May 2013 at 21:38. Reason: Added PS
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 22:02   #3057
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I think LG manufactures decent AC units, both split and window! I am not aware of most technicalities but have been using LG ACs for about 10 years now! They've served me well in my home and office, specially the ones in my offices, my on-site office being pretty much in the middle of a limestone quarry and stone crusher (amongst the more dusty environments!), and the one that's in my room, it runs as long as there is electricity, during peak summers, its 8 years old and its still a chiller, quite literally!
They only demand routine and regular maintainance! I would for sure give LG air conditioners the 'sasta-sundar-tikau' tag.
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 00:48   #3058
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 662
Thanked: 444 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys,

I'm not someone who is very knowledgeable in white goods. Domestic compulsions are compelling me to delve a little deeper into this area.

My BR currently has a 14 year old (that's not a typo) Carrier 1.5 ton window A/C with a rotary compressor which has served me well over this period of time without a SINGLE problem. Only periodic maintenance was carried out over the years. This Carrier AC is made in Korea and was one of the so called 'high end' models sold back in 1998/99.

I am thinking of replacing it with a Daikin Inverter 1.5/1.8 ton split AC. The 2 other brands I have in mind are, in order of preference:

a) General
b) Panasonic

Having browsed thru this thread I am unable to make up my mind. Request TBHPians to help me in making the right choice. One of the other rooms in my home has a National/Panasonic window AC and a Daikin split approx. 1.8T AC, both installed in the early 2000s. They have been working just as well as the Carrier I referred to above. Hence the confusion.

PS - A couple of points about the environment:
a) I live in Pune. Which means hot and dry summers. This year has been particularly warm as Puneites will attest to. The AC will be used for about 3 months of the year - April to June. Once the monsoon sets in the AC is not in use.
b) In my area of the city, unscheduled load shedding is rare. MSEB performs their so called maintenance activities every Thursday but power is switched off for about 2-3 hours once a month. We enjoy 24x7 power supply, including stable voltage and frequency, a rarity in this country except on those occasions mentioned in the previous sentence. But all this comes at a cost of nearly Rs 9.5-10/KWh, all inclusive, at the current slab. Which lends itself to preferring a 5 star or an efficient appliance.
my preference for window ac,s is Mitsubushi Heavy Industries.Its mainly because the service ,installation,sales is handled by trained people and promptly available.their outdoor units are the best in construction. their EEV technology is much cheaper than inverter tech but the power consumption is 1200-1400 watt for a 1.5 t unit.I would recommend this as a long term install i.e. > 8 years.

for infrequent use you can install 5s window units from voltas,whirlpool,hitachi @ approx 1600 watts .just take out the old unit and plonk the new one in.no installation hassle!

your current CARRIER AC is rated at 1925 watts.


P.S.- Whirlpool ac's are using panasonic compressors this season.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 09:10   #3059
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
for infrequent use you can install 5s window units from voltas,whirlpool,hitachi @ approx 1600 watts .just take out the old unit and plonk the new one in.no installation hassle!
As it is very old, I am not sure. Normally the panel dimensions are the same, but the depth is not, so you have to plunk it in but including the box.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 09:34   #3060
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am thinking of replacing it with a Daikin Inverter 1.5/1.8 ton split AC. The 2 other brands I have in mind are, in order of preference:

a) General
b) Panasonic
I think you have already chosen the right manufacturers, and now it is a matter of choosing waht you want from them. I personally would have put General on top simply because I have bought 5 General ACs (and nothing else since 2004) and they are great. I had a Carrier AC from 2002-04 which was totally second rate. Carrier was great till the late 1990s but started losing it from the 2003-04 period.

Now choose which type you want. What is the news on Voltas.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th May 2013 at 09:45.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 158 23rd July 2017 19:42
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks