Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 21:45   #3406
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 470
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a drilling machine, used to bore through a beam which is made of concrete. It has a sharp and hollow rotating shaft which keeps piercing through the concrete. Once done you can neatly see the cylindrical concrete block come out; just like that! Amazing machine for sure. Not to mention it needs to be cooled when in operation.
I know, Hilti makes good ones. I was just wondering whether AC installers have started using such machines . Anyway graaja has already clarified.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 21:51   #3407
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,599
Thanked: 8,585 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I know, Hilti makes good ones. I was just wondering whether AC installers have started using such machines . Anyway graaja has already clarified.
What I have seen is that for the general ones (where no beam is involved) the regular installers come and do the job. They can bore through regular walls. They are the regular dealer's men. The instant there is a need to bore the beam, they call for a different set of people. These bore cutting guys (As what I have seen in Banaglore) are an independent contracting lot, who lend their services to all the dealers and for all brands. Of late I see their demand going quite huge. Getting them in time is next to impossible. I myself faced this music very recently! (Hence the memory is fresh! )

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2014 at 22:06.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 10:00   #3408
BHPian
 
amitpunjani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 451
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Hello,

I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi. The cost of both the units is approx same i.e INR 27-28k + stabilizer, but the concern, i have is O General is 2 Star where as Hitachi is 5 star. Now i am a bit confused which one to opt for?

Heart say go for General shaab where as mind say Hitachiiii

Would sincerely appreciate a honest opinion.

Thanks in anticipation.

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 10:06   #3409
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 254
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello,



I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi.

Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG. I have had both these units in 1.5T and both died on me in 4 years. OG was noisy and my window would rattle a lot.
If split can be considered you will get a Samsung 1.5 and Daikin 1T near about same price too.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:12   #3410
BHPian
 
amitpunjani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 451
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG. I have had both these units in 1.5T and both died on me in 4 years. OG was noisy and my window would rattle a lot.
If split can be considered you will get a Samsung 1.5 and Daikin 1T near about same price too.
The unit will be installed in Gurgaon, even i thought about split, but then i don't want to get into the hassle of pipping and making an hole into walls, where as window ac would require only 1 hr of installation.

With Samsung & LG, i have burnt my hands...... Once bitten twice shy
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:23   #3411
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 254
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
The unit will be installed in Gurgaon, even i thought about split, but then i don't want to get into the hassle of pipping and making an hole into walls, where as window ac would require only 1 hr of installation.

With Samsung & LG, i have burnt my hands...... Once bitten twice shy
Actually the Split in my opinion is easier as no window cutting, glass removal, grill removal and storage etc. However depends on the house and positioning etc though. It is more efficient, noise is significantly less, and maintenance is easier too. I have 2 Daikins and 2 Samsungs now - all split. One Samsung is now 8 years old. Other 3 are between 7 months and 3 years old.
My window acs never lasted beyond 4 years- LG, Carrier, Og, Samsung, Hitachi. The splits seem to be less fragile...
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 18:00   #3412
BHPian
 
blorebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 400
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG.
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 18:05   #3413
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,265
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My window acs never lasted beyond 4 years- LG, Carrier, Og, Samsung, Hitachi. The splits seem to be less fragile...
In my case, the opposite held true. My 1 Tonne LG Window AC works like a charm for the past 12 years. No gas was changed, only filters were cleaned in summer. Some knobs are not functioning, but it cools well. And it has seen 3 houses so far.

My Voltas split AC is 8 years old, and needed a gas refill twice over the past 3 years. My Samsung split needed a costly gas refill this summer though it is only 3 years old.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 18:08   #3414
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 254
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
In my case, the opposite held true. My 1 Tonne LG Window AC works like a charm for the past 12 years. No gas was changed, only filters were cleaned in summer. Some knobs are not functioning, but it cools well. And it has seen 3 houses so far.

My Voltas split AC is 8 years old, and needed a gas refill twice over the past 3 years. My Samsung split needed a costly gas refill this summer though it is only 3 years old.
I have shifted house once and moved the splits during this shift. Used the same copper and no gas filling. All are working fine, same as earlier. Could be handling issue and way the joints were sealed etc.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 19:08   #3415
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi. The cost of both the units is approx same i.e INR 27-28k + stabilizer, but the concern, i have is O General is 2 Star where as Hitachi is 5 star.
If possible try to switch over to a Split. Window ACs are easier to install but are a bit of a pain over a period of time. They will rattle, squeak and create a racket. Besides being costlier on the pocket (to run). Look at Daikin. Good ACs for the price. Similar O'Generals will work out a little costlier.

By the way, Check the declared consumption numbers for the 5 star window AC. I won't be surprised if you find that it is closer to the consumption figures for a 3 star split! To give you an idea, a Daikin Inverter Split 1 ton AC when run at 25*C for 8 hours every night costs you as less as Rs.550 to 600 per month at an average unit price of Rs4!

Actually, the Window ACs by design are inherently inefficient. Cooling unit and the heat exchangers in the same box (front and rear) is never going to be very efficient any how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
Check whether the entire body is plastic or it's the from grill and the top. Not that it matters much as these parts too will be exposed to the sun. However, I think most ACs nowadays come with thse parts made of plastic. Its the same with Daikin, Samsung and LG. Can't recall Panasonic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Actually the Split in my opinion is easier as no window cutting, glass removal, grill removal and storage etc. However depends on the house and positioning etc though.
Split is actually more difficult to install. I had seen the circus they did to install my split. I also realized once again that day that life has little value in this country.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 19:39   #3416
BHPian
 
RajeswaranK7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
@blorebuddy

Don't worry about its quality. We have the same unit installed in the first floor with the ODU facing harsh Chennai sun(west facing wall without any cover over it) for the past 10 years. It still is going strong.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 21:20   #3417
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

For a cooler, which one would be a nice fit. I am looking for options between 5-10K, trying to get (decent) options at both ends. My friend pointed out at Symphony. Any pointers please?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 21:22   #3418
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,207 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
Don't worry about its quality. We have the same unit installed in the first floor with the ODU facing harsh Chennai sun(west facing wall without any cover over it) for the past 10 years. It still is going strong.
There's your answer from experience!

But I was going to say that not all plastics are degraded by sunlight, and with a steel cabinet, you might be wondering how long before it starts to rust. All materials have pros and cons.

You bought a top-brand AC: don't worry, enjoy!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th April 2014 at 21:24.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 21:31   #3419
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Gurus please guide me, I want to buy inverter AC's.
Please tell me which once ?
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 22:13   #3420
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For a cooler, which one would be a nice fit. I am looking for options between 5-10K, trying to get (decent) options at both ends. My friend pointed out at Symphony. Any pointers please?
Plastic body coolers are not too effective. A metal body conventional cooler is much better. Also a cooler depends on a continuous supply of fresh dry air for its cooling effect and keeping in inside the room is not advisable. Coolers are best kept outside the room in a shaded space.
But if you have no other option due to other constraints, go for Usha Honeywell coolers.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 169 20th November 2017 14:39
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks