Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 12:19   #4006
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Should have provided info on usage. Adding now.

Location is Gurgaon. 3rd floor of a 17 floor building in Suth City. AC would face (actually its back) East while room's large window and balcoy faces south with plenty of sun n heat throughout the day.

Room size - 12'x12'x9'.
Usage - from evening to morning i.e. from 6 pm to 7 am. I think an inverter AC should let me run it for all of this time with change in temperature setting depending upon outside weather. In Gurgaon, AC would run from April till October with running hours varying between 6 to 12 hours.

Would prefer window AC as I might have to change flat soon enough and maybe twice over next 12-15 months. Saves considerable installation cost and hassles.

Running cost would be more important. Also, it seems inverter ACs are not available in window format. And read in one of the posts that frequent on-off leads to higher power consumption. Would request more dope (redirection to right post) on that too.

Let me know if any more info required for a good assessment/advise.
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 12:19   #4007
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Before you buy online, check the manufacturer's site to see if there are any warranty restrictions.

Whereever you buy, also check that the machine will be installed by manufacturer-authorised installer, as that seems to be another warranty get-out. Mind you, I have no clue how we can be certain of this, as the scenario would probably run,

Buyer: "Will this be installed by a manufacturer-authorised installer?"
Salesman: "Yes."

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 18:45   #4008
BHPian
 
sk456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: @Noida/Gurgaon
Posts: 570
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Just bought two 1.5 t Sharp Eco invertors @40k plus installation. Loving it. Super silent. Super low bills. Excellent cooling.

Now need another Ac in bedroom which would be used occasionaly. Upto how many hrs usage per day does it make sense to invest in inverter acs? If normal ac should i go for Daikin or sharp? How much diff in elecric bills would one have as compared to a 1 ton ac?
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:16   #4009
BHPian
 
sk456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: @Noida/Gurgaon
Posts: 570
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Just bought two 1.5 t Sharp Eco invertors @40k plus installation. Loving it. Super silent. Super low bills. Excellent cooling.

Now need another Ac in bedroom which would be used occasionaly. Upto how many hrs usage per day does it make sense to invest in inverter acs? If normal ac should i go for Daikin or sharp? How much diff in elecric bills would one have as compared to a 1 ton ac?
After unnecessary mulling over other brands ordered a 3rd sharp
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:49   #4010
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Nice gesture from Sharp. Can you please share me the model number and the place from where you purchased these Sharp machines? I am also looking for a SHARP 1.5 Ton inverter AC.

Many thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We missed a "free service" for our Sharp, as I mentioned before. We called, and their service guys came today. As I suspected, the air filters (7 months) were well clogged.

Two guys came today and did a neat and thorough job. If points had to be deducted they would be for asking us to supply the cleaning cloth, but I don't really mind, as giving them a microfibre cloth meant better cleaning.

There really is not a lot of work to this "service." However, what there is to be done, they did thoroughly and neatly. They did a good job of cleaning the IDU fan, which always increases efficiency, and the even cleaned the cabinets of both units very nicely.

re earlier conversations, I noticed today that the indoor cooling coil fins are blue.

Oh, and it really wasa free service: there was not even a hint of a hint that a tip would be appreciated. To the extent that I didn't even think of giving them one, and I actually wouldn't have minded Rs.100 contribution to their lunch!
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:55   #4011
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Should have provided info on usage. Adding now.

Location is Gurgaon. 3rd floor of a 17 floor building in Suth City. AC would face (actually its back) East while room's large window and balcoy faces south with plenty of sun n heat throughout the day.

Room size - 12'x12'x9'.
Usage - from evening to morning i.e. from 6 pm to 7 am. I think an inverter AC should let me run it for all of this time with change in temperature setting depending upon outside weather. In Gurgaon, AC would run from April till October with running hours varying between 6 to 12 hours.

Would prefer window AC as I might have to change flat soon enough and maybe twice over next 12-15 months. Saves considerable installation cost and hassles.



Running cost would be more important. Also, it seems inverter ACs are not available in window format. And read in one of the posts that frequent on-off leads to higher power consumption. Would request more dope (redirection to right post) on that too.

Let me know if any more info required for a good assessment/advise.
If buying a window AC , avoid a Hitachi . They are almost on par with slit AC's in terms on pricing ( 5 * rated). In case you are going for Inverter AC's Diakin, Sharp and General are the best bets. If a normal split, you could look at the other brands like Voltas, LG,. Ihave a Hitachi Quadracool and I an not satisfied with the product annd the service.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 20:01   #4012
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Just bought two 1.5 t Sharp Eco invertors @40k plus installation. Loving it. Super silent. Super low bills. Excellent cooling.

Now need another Ac in bedroom which would be used occasionaly. Upto how many hrs usage per day does it make sense to invest in inverter acs? If normal ac should i go for Daikin or sharp? How much diff in elecric bills would one have as compared to a 1 ton ac?

Can you please share the model number and the mode of purchase (online/ direct shop) with the actual price?
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 20:29   #4013
BHPian
 
sk456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: @Noida/Gurgaon
Posts: 570
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Can you please share the model number and the mode of purchase (online/ direct shop) with the actual price?
Bought the X18PET 1.5 T - In March i had paid 40.5K plus installation and Stabilizer.
Paid 42K plus installation+stabilzer for the 3rd ac now. Apparently prices have increased due to peak season coming up.

This is from Sargam electronics Noida. Bought it over phone COD. No hassles, No visits required.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 20:43   #4014
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I am looking to buy 2 ac's and need some advice.

Parents use:

My parents use ac for only 5-6 hours and that too not every day. In such a scenario should I consider normal 5 star window ac or 3 star split ac.

Hitachi 5 star window ac is costing me about 29.5k and 3 star split ac at about 32k.

EER of 5 star window ac is on par with 3 star split ac, hence not thinking of 5 star split ac.

My room:

I use ac almost all the time if I am at house. Generally 11 hours on normal days and almost 16 hours on weekends and holidays.

I am thinking of going for inverter ac. My room is on first floor, size 130 sq.ft. There is another floor on top. Sun directly hits my room in the day time.

I am thinking of going for Sharp 1.2 ton Inverter ac costing @33k. I am confused if I should go for 1, 1.2, or 1.5 ton inverter ac. As per tonnage calculator on Sharp website, I should buy 1.2 ton.

What do you guys think, should I buy 5 star ac for my room or inverter ac.

Budget: Not more than 32-33k for either ac.

Thanks!
heydj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 10:17   #4015
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Before you buy online, check the manufacturer's site to see if there are any warranty restrictions.

Whereever you buy, also check that the machine will be installed by manufacturer-authorised installer, as that seems to be another warranty get-out. Mind you, I have no clue how we can be certain of this, as the scenario would probably run,

Buyer: "Will this be installed by a manufacturer-authorised installer?"
Salesman: "Yes."

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he!
Thanks for the warning Thad, didn't get any such thing on their website but a google search led me to this -
"- Indiatimes Shopping: We are not selling products below purchase price and hence never faced issues of warranty refusal. On the contrary, we have strategic alignment with leading brands like Nokia, Godrej, Whirlpool, Hitachi, IFB, Kent, Samsung etc." at

http://www.medianama.com/2014/10/223...kart-snapdeal/

Will run further checks w.r.t. installation too. Though on my other purchases (camera, TV), I have received a warranty card but will run further checks on them too.

Having said that, has anyone found their warranty void on any purchase online because in link below ecom sellers have contested any such refusals:
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...anties-2028188

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
If buying a window AC , avoid a Hitachi . They are almost on par with slit AC's in terms on pricing ( 5 * rated). In case you are going for Inverter AC's Diakin, Sharp and General are the best bets. If a normal split, you could look at the other brands like Voltas, LG,. Ihave a Hitachi Quadracool and I an not satisfied with the product annd the service.
Oh! I was almost firm on buying it on foll grounds:
- My next seat guy at office, my cousin, and at least another 2 folks I know swear by it. None of them have had bad experience with service too
- Price is higher yes but a QC at 32.5 (I already have a stabiliser from a previously sold AC) vs a LG at around 25-26 allows to go for premum Hitachi as long as it merits it
- Hearing lot of praise for Sharp and General but can't find anything beyond 2* online for both of them
- Do not want to go for a split as of now so this purchase cna't be an inverter though would have loved it to be

Would want to hear other folks' views too, esp on Windows AC, 5* options. Is LG or Volats worth it? Saves almost 7-8k.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st April 2015 at 11:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 11:10   #4016
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Finally purchased 2 1 ton Panasonics, an inverter and a 3 star for two bedrooms. Had shortlisted Daikin and Sharp along with Panasonic but economically got a better deal with Pana. They have 10 ft of installation kit which saves me about 3K per AC and their overall cost is lower than Daikin/Sharp. Both have copper coil and hopefully I will get good support and service in Mumbai.

Just FYI - when you find out rates from the major chain stores, make sure you find the model number too instead of just a generic term like '1 ton 3 star Pana'. Each manufacturer has more than 1 model in the same range and there are feature differences between them. Also major chains try and focus on one of the models or want to liquidate one of the models (especially if they are last years model) and would tend to push the same on you.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 17:04   #4017
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Nice gesture from Sharp. Can you please share me the model number and the place from where you purchased these Sharp machines? I am also looking for a SHARP 1.5 Ton inverter AC.

Many thanks,
We tried two or three places in one afternoon, and settled on Girias. They offered the best deal and clinched it with with a 5K "exchange" deal. Our local repair man had offered 2K for the working-but-gas-leak machine, so we were happy.

Model AH-XP13PHT
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 20:33   #4018
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I am in the verge of buying a Sharp Inverter model AH-XP13PHT. The sales person at the retailer said the coil is made of Aluminum and definitely not copper. He said only General, Hitachi and Carrier comes with Copper coil. Adding to that he said Sharp Machines are assembled in China/Thailand and not in Japan. The final price I got was 50.5k including installation and stabilizer.

I am confused. Kindly advice whether it is true.

Thanks,
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 22:30   #4019
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

As per our PM exchange, I'm shocked by the price, and wish I'd bought two back in the winter!

The ODU condensor coil is aluminium. I can tell by the colour. The inside cooling coil could be too, I'm not certain (I bet it has been discussed here, though), but it is blue!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:59   #4020
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,138
Thanked: 3,736 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The ODU condensor coil is aluminium. I can tell by the colour. The inside cooling coil could be too, I'm not certain (I bet it has been discussed here, though), but it is blue!
The best place to decipher the condenser (or for that matter evaporator) coils is the u-bend from one row to the next. This gives the game away. The fins are always aluminum and blue is the anti-corrosion coating.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 169 20th November 2017 14:39
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks