Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 13:49   #4036
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@modisan; Take it that a Window unit will be R22. Both are excellent brands. Are there no 4*s either?
Have gone through too many now (all online) and found 2 of them using R31 and R37, and am unable to find them again now

Panasonic has a 5 star too which I found after posting previous one but far expensive at around 33 whereas LG and Voltas 5 star are around 27 and 26. Is panasonic worth the premium, in your opinion? I bought their 1.2T cube in 2011 and sold off last year as it would cool only for a week each time after service and it would make lot of noise too.

Another thing I was wondering about was noise wherein I have seen them mentioning noise levels from 42 db to 55 db. Are these figures reliable? I feel that a good fitting can increase/decrease the noise too.
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 16:53   #4037
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

42 and 55 are almost the same, unless you live in a very quiet countryside. If you had a bad experience with Panasonic do not get that. Of the pair i will prefer the Voltas.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 15:41   #4038
BHPian
 
Octane_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 626
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Hello folks. Last night a friend who is in the market to buy a new split AC and I got into an argument as to which is the 'best' brand in ACs.

I might be wrong but I was professing that Daikin and General are the best. And he was of the opinion that Mitsubishi is the best and no other company comes close to Mitsubishi.

Is this true? I want to know from you'll which brand is considered the best. While speaking to him I also came across a new brand (might not be new for you'll and might be well known but I heard it for the first time in my life!!) - Tecumseh. How is this brand? Is it good?

Thank You.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 25th April 2015 at 15:44.
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 21:26   #4039
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Tecumseh is an age old & one of the largest manufacturer of compressors. That they are offering complete units is news to me.

Which Mitsubishi? Electric or Industrial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
While speaking to him I also came across a new brand (might not be new for you'll and might be well known but I heard it for the first time in my life!!) - Tecumseh. How is this brand? Is it good?

Thank You.

-Bhargav
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 00:35   #4040
BHPian
 
Octane_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 626
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Tecumseh is an age old & one of the largest manufacturer of compressors. That they are offering complete units is news to me.

Which Mitsubishi? Electric or Industrial?
Even I didn't believe him when he told me that it is one of the largest manufacturers of compressors. But a bit of Googl'ing made me believe that. First time I came across the brand.

Mitsubishi electric is into AC manufacturing, isn't it?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 09:56   #4041
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Yes, Tecumseh had been OEM to a lot of them for ages. It is likely that many of the desi brands were also licensed Tecumseh's. I think Sriram was. Voltas was Carrier under license (from some decades ago).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 11:47   #4042
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I finally settled for carrier 5 star as could not trust voltas, LG, Hitachi for various factors, Panasonic for their bad response on my cube. Wanted to buy sharp but it only has a 2 star one.
Bought from croma who offered a 1k disc on top of 1.5k adjustment against their free stabiliser, and 5% cash back on axis cc. Net comes down to 30.6 (mrp at 35.3). Didn't read too much about carrier but given so many baddies against other brands I decided to not read about Carrier. Just joking, I have seen friends happy with it. It said 100% copper which folks here praised, and with highest BTU and output wattage, I thought should be worth it. The yellowish color panel was a out off though. Delivery today, installation in another 2 days and yet to be paid.
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 01:13   #4043
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello folks. Last night a friend who is in the market to buy a new split AC and I got into an argument as to which is the 'best' brand in ACs.

I might be wrong but I was professing that Daikin and General are the best. And he was of the opinion that Mitsubishi is the best and no other company comes close to Mitsubishi.
-Bhargav
Yes, I also heard a lot of positive reviews on Mitsubishi Electric's air conditioners from the AC technicians. They rate it above General's machines. I was at the verge of buying a Sharp inverter AC last week, but now a little confused between Sharp and Mitsubishi.

Can anyone suggest which one is better in terms of efficiency, quality of build and long term durability?

Thanks in advance.
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 10:49   #4044
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Mitsubishi comes in 2 types. It seems the same company has split into 2, one is 'Mitsubishi Electric' and the other is 'Mitsubishi Heavy Industries'. The former is also in India the latter is primarily in East Asia and Pacific but is also imported into India via Thailand or elsewhere. It seems quality of MHI has fallen quite a bit lately and also the kits are more prone to damage since they are fully imported.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 16:25   #4045
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 85
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Yes, I also heard a lot of positive reviews on Mitsubishi Electric's air conditioners from the AC technicians. They rate it above General's machines. I was at the verge of buying a Sharp inverter AC last week, but now a little confused between Sharp and Mitsubishi.

Can anyone suggest which one is better in terms of efficiency, quality of build and long term durability?

Thanks in advance.
I had bought a couple of Daikins 1.5T Inverter ACs for my living room in Kolkata. Its amazingly quiet and very effective and efficient.
According to my personal research the ratings of ACs are as follows :

General>Daikin=Mitsubishi>Hitachi>Others

When buying an AC, make sure you ask the dealer regarding the manufacturing country. Many of these companies have both locally produced and imported units. Imported units are better in quality and reliability compared to local counterparts.
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 18:39   #4046
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
So managed to catch the capo yesterday. It seems that he has decided to replace the motor, and is expecting a new one this week. So fingers crossed. First I want it fixed (my guesstimate is that it costs ₹5500) then I will look further.
Got the capo today. he is getting the motor today and installing tomorrow. Let us see!!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 18:59   #4047
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I had bought a couple of Daikins 1.5T Inverter ACs for my living room in Kolkata. Its amazingly quiet and very effective and efficient.
According to my personal research the ratings of ACs are as follows :

General>Daikin=Mitsubishi>Hitachi>Others

When buying an AC, make sure you ask the dealer regarding the manufacturing country. Many of these companies have both locally produced and imported units. Imported units are better in quality and reliability compared to local counterparts.
Here are the manufacturing locations of the popular brands

General - Thailand and Pondicherry- India (I heard the plant in Pondicherry is closed)
Mitsubishi - Thailand and China.
Daikin - Alwar, Rajasthan, India
Sharp- Pune, India
Hitachi - Gurarat, India
Carrier - Bawal, Haryana,India
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 22:07   #4048
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

The story is not that simple. All OEMs are selling units sourced from their manufacturing bases spread all over the continent including Japan. The units assembled locally are mostly ODUs & again the majority of them are in the R22 design apart from a very large range of commercial usage machines. Very few models of IDUs are made locally with the majority being imported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Here are the manufacturing locations of the popular brands
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:47   #4049
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I am looking to buy Sharp invertor AC in Delhi but finding it very difficult to get a dealer with 1.2 ton model. All the dealers have either 1.1 ton or 1.5 ton.

I have looked up the dealers numbers provided on Sharps website but upon calling them was told they don't keep Sharp ac's anymore. Hence called Sharp toll free customer support number and was provided two dealer numbers stocking Sharp AC's in Delhi, called them and was told they deal in Sharp other products but not AC's.

I am bit disappointed with Sharp service so far. Neither the website nor the customer support have correct dealers information.

Can someone provide me with a authorized dealers name or number that I can contact in Delhi?
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:19   #4050
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,132
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am looking to buy Sharp invertor AC in Delhi but finding it very difficult to get a dealer with 1.2 ton model. All the dealers have either 1.1 ton or 1.5 ton.

I have looked up the dealers numbers provided on Sharps website but upon calling them was told they don't keep Sharp ac's anymore. Hence called Sharp toll free customer support number and was provided two dealer numbers stocking Sharp AC's in Delhi, called them and was told they deal in Sharp other products but not AC's.

I am bit disappointed with Sharp service so far. Neither the website nor the customer support have correct dealers information.

Can someone provide me with a authorized dealers name or number that I can contact in Delhi?
If that is the state of affairs with sales, then I dread what sort of service Sharp will provide. Best to stay away.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 169 20th November 2017 14:39
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks