Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd June 2015, 13:26   #4141
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
With the 1200 are they restoring the warranty as well?
Didn't speak to anybody in snapdeal yet as I'm not sure whether I got the dealer invoice or not.

And no, warranty doesn't get restored in this 1200, just service charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How can Diakin claim/prove that you bought the product online?
The seller invoice/receipt/bill will remain the same, whether you bought the product from brick and mortar store or off e-commerce website.
Good point, let me check whether I got the dealer invoice at the time of purchase.

BTW I just realized that I had bought the AC on 26th May'15 so free service is anyways out of question but this warranty thing I need to get sorted just in case something happens with the AC.

What's the typical warranty period though? 2-3 years?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:32   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Didn't speak to anybody in snapdeal yet as I'm not sure whether I got the dealer invoice or not.
I believe the dealer invoice should suffice for you. You can get it again from the dealer through snapdeal support. Warranty is one year for full body and 5 years for compressor, usually. I do not think it particularly important as I have been buying AC grey market too, this year. With proper maintenance and installation, 5 years for a split ac is usually never a problem.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:27   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In airconditioning, the manufacturer can offer warranty of only a few things:
1. Blower Fan for expansion coil (cold air side)
2. Blower fan for condenser coil (hot air side)
3. Compressor

The rest of the items (coils, fins, tubes, joints etc) are subject to corrosion and dust/dirt and therefore no one will offer any warranty.

Out of these, usually manufacturers may offer 1 year warranty on the fans- though I am not sure. But the important item is compressor - for which the warranty usually runs 5 years.

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd June 2015 at 16:30.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:41   #4144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Typically one year overall and anything from 5 to 10 years on the compressor. My daughter-in-law's laptop (from Snapdeal) had a similar problem when she managed to break the screen.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2015 at 17:21. Reason: Fixing quotes.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:21   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
she managed to break the screen.
I am not sure if breakage is covered in any warranty, unless it is something like an apple care program.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:31   #4146
Senior - BHPian

There is something called a serial number and that is what Daikin will track in order to see how the machine was routed to the end user.

I will be following this to know how this turns out warranty wise.

BTW, you can find chaps to service a split for as low as 350 for 'challu' ones to 5-600 odd for knowledgable service technicians. In peak season the rates do go North.

Warranty for the first year covers everything that might go wrong after that it is generally the compressors. These days with inverters coming in companies have started offering warranty on the circuit boards/control units, not very sure of the time period though.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 06:57   #4147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am not sure if breakage is covered in any warranty, unless it is something like an apple care program.
No it is not but does impact on the labour charges. Lenovo do have an add on insurance (about 2-3k pa) for accidental damage / breakage.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 17:20   #4148
BHPian

I have two adjacent rooms in my village house and I want to install a multi split unit there. The supply is single phase. Does anybody have any idea about the performance of multi splits. It will save me wiring cost and also instead of two ac's multisplit will be a cheaper. The usage is not much hence I can install a two or three star aswell.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 20:57   #4149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I have two adjacent rooms in my village house and I want to install a multi split unit there. The supply is single phase. Does anybody have any idea about the performance of multi splits.....
Inder, forget multi splits in India. They work out more expensive than two split ACs complete! Novelty pricing!
You'd be best off with two window units, if each room has a mounting point.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 00:49   #4150
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear... turns out that 5k on the last bandaid and gas-fill job that was supposed to get our hall AC through to next year was wasted. No cooling.

That's it for spending more cash on this 7-yr-old Samsung, despite the fact that my current personal priority is enjoying my trip to UK and spending money on myself there.

So the short-list for a 2-ton, inverter AC...

General, I think is off the list. Just too expensive. Daikin may be still on it. Sharp is there of course, it would be our second. Panasonic is a name that appeals.

Any comments?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 12:51   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Any comments?
I would include LG in the list of contenders.
I have been quite satisfied with their service over the ten years that I have been using two of their ACs.
I don't know if they make 'em like that anymore.

In fact, I am in the market for a one ton split for my tiny study/den.
I am not even looking at the inverter units; I'd much rather stay with standard on-off non-inverter units.

These are the two I'm trying to decide between:

LG, non inverter 5*, EER 3.60, some metal alloy condenser, 1 year warranty full unit and 5 years on compressor. R22.

OR

Videocon, non inverter 5*, EER 3.51, full copper condenser, 5 years warranty on full unit. R22.

Price difference 2500/-. Videocon is the cheaper one.

At our place, Hauz Khas in Delhi, there is no problem of corrosive atmosphere. As I mentioned, I have two LG ACs that have served me very well for 10 years already!

Any idea how Videocon responds to service calls? Are their ACs up to spec?
Or should I just stay with LG?

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th June 2015 at 12:52.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:09   #4152
Senior - BHPian

TEG, do take a look at offerings from Mitsubishi (both M Electric & M Heavy) good machines with introductory pricing.

With Daikin do look at the specifications closely especially the minimum power consumption figures for the inverters. Model to model this value has a very wide range.

Being in Madras, you could get General machines from the grey market at great prices, you may want to explore that channel.

Based on your travel dates you may want the summers to wane before making the purchase, the question being does Madras have any other season?

Quote:
So the short-list for a 2-ton, inverter AC...

General, I think is off the list. Just too expensive. Daikin may be still on it. Sharp is there of course, it would be our second. Panasonic is a name that appeals.

Any comments?

Anup ji, LG for service setup

Last edited by khoj : 13th June 2015 at 13:11.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 17:52   #4153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the question being does Madras have any other season?
This year is weird: we are alternating between 40-plus and winter temperatures. "Coldest" Madras May for a decade! Yes, the hot days are still very hot, but the absence of relentless, day-after-day, week-after-week, oven conditions must have been very bad for the AC market.

Oddly, our old Samsung seems to be giving some cooling again today. It may have some life in it yet.

Has anybody noticed what dreadful websites the AC companies have? Really, they should be able to do better.

I have been thinking General again (Even Flipkart puts an "O"!) . I don't think I want to explore grey market on this one, though. Yes, I will look at Hitachi again. I think we have to visit Rathna Fans, as they probably have the biggest selection in Chennai. More than the AC sections of the "White goods" chains.

One concern is getting the wanted features. I know many of these are just minor things inflated to try to make machines that all, essential, look very similar and do the same thing, look better than each other, but some are desirable, and some are a waste of money. I do not, for instance, want an AC that follows me around the room. Except for a few cool-down minutes here and there, I actively avoid direct-draught cooling. I like the feature that directs the air along the ceiling, giving "trickle-down" effect to whole room.

Should I look at Whirlpool? I'm sold on invertor tech: they do something else entirely.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 21:18   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... I'm sold on invertor tech: they do something else entirely.
I wish I could be.
The one and only reason I am not looking at inverter tech is because I am almost certain that long before the thing has paid back for itself I will be looking at an heart stopping bill for replacement of a proprietary part, which will NOT be the part under warranty (like the compressor). More than likely it will be the inverter unit or the ubiquitous 'motherboard'!

I'd rather live with the known devil of fluctuating temperatures in the room. This 'deficiency' is one that we have learnt to live with. The important point is that there is a predictability about costs and life span with the non-inverter ACs that is sorely missing from the 'new' technology.
Maybe it's just age, but that is exactly what I am; aged, nearing fossilization! But a very astute hands on engineer.

BTW, current washing machines are in the same league. They all have 'electronic' controls as opposed to the old and well proven electro-mechanical timers. Most will need an eight thousand rupees replacement of the 'motherboard'! And the five or ten years guarantee is only for the motor, ha ha!

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th June 2015 at 21:20.
Old 19th June 2015, 23:22   #4155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thad; Also Sharp is R401a, another big plus.
Isn't the new R32 better or the best yet ?
VOiLA is offline   Reply With Quote