Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2015, 18:26   #4231
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 849
Thanked: 696 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I live in a rental house and have four splits. Don't let that stop you as removing and installing is not that big a deal. Have shifted once myself. However if the house owner doesn't want you to make that hole then it's a different matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Honestly, I don't think she would have minded a two-inch hole for a split AC, which could have been easily sealed with removable cement. Along with the wiring, she would probably have considered that an improvement!
Thank you diyguy and Thad E Ginathom for the suggestion. I agree that enabling a provision for a split A/C would have been an improvement to the house.

But getting a new one was a costly affair and I wanted a good one which would last for a few years down the line. Hence stuck to a second hand model for the time being.

My only requirement being chill air drafting through the room was satisfied and hence didn't really bother much with the split A/C research after the initial thought.

Cheers!
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 18:37   #4232
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,203 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
One more question. Is it advisable to install the outdoor unit at a level 4-5 ft below the indoor unit.
No issues. My LG split outdoor unit is around 10 feet below the indoor unit. Works as it used to before.

What i have heard is the outdoor unit must not be above the indoor unit
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 20:00   #4233
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No issues. My LG split outdoor unit is around 10 feet below the indoor unit. Works as it used to before.

What i have heard is the outdoor unit must not be above the indoor unit
Outdoor unit above the height of the indoor unit is fine.
Keeping it below the indoor unit height can create a problem of liquid refrigerant flowing back to the compressor suction (under certain circumstances). This is easily avoided/precluded by coiling the two refrigerant pipes into an approximate circle just ahead of the outdoor unit. The coiled pipes diameter should be about 18 inches. The installation technicians will normally follow this practice without being told.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 10:45   #4234
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 280
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Thanks Anup. Hope the installers in my rural area knows this, else I'll have to show him a pictorial diagram.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 07:23   #4235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Guys, I'm in market for a 1.5 ton AC. I have looked at LG and Samsung mainly but after reading reviews here and on net re inverter AC, I am bit skeptical about the life of these AC. Can someone through some light on this?

My usage will be mainly summer and normal consumption for the entire year and I am planning to keep it for 6-7 years at least. I have considered this model from Samsung. The price I was quoted from Yes mart is 41k with installation and stabilizer.

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/samsun...r/633652073064

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
atulsian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 08:53   #4236
BHPian
 
Happysmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Guys, I'm in market for a 1.5 ton AC.



Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the Daikin range FTKM and FTKP series using the R32 gas. Fit and finish is very good. You may need to pay extra for installation and piping.

Another good option and VFM is Lloyd.
Happysmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 10:01   #4237
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Guys, I'm in market for a 1.5 ton AC.
.
.
.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I and a few friends have had bad experience with Samsung AC, so I avoid them. At the higher end there are Inverter AC from General and Daikin, at the lower end LG and a few other 3/4 star AC.

With electricity rates climbing every year, if your AC runs for 6 months or more, 12 hours a day, it is advisable to go in for the Inverter AC, as they will recover their extra cost very fast. Another plus point is that Inverter AC have soft start, unlike normal AC, which means if you plan to use small generator, it will not be overloaded by a high starting current - a useful feature where power break downs are frequent and unpredictable.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 11:49   #4238
BHPian
 
Cowardly Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 46
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Stick to an air conditioner with reciprocating and not rotary compressor. The latter reportedly performs at less than optimum levels at higher temperatures.
There is a premium that is paid for the inverter airconditioners plus remember that the inverter tech is electronic and hence comes with along with the same levels of unpredictable longevity issues that are associated with electronics at large. So do remember to educate urself re possible repair/replacement scenarios..
We have 3 General ac bought from Karol bagh (w/o bill) about 10 years ago. Filled gas in 2 and that's it. Cooling is heads and shoulders above the run of the mill Samsung/LG...
Cowardly Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 12:00   #4239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Check out the Daikin range FTKM and FTKP series using the R32 gas. Fit and finish is very good. You may need to pay extra for installation and piping.

Another good option and VFM is Lloyd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I and a few friends have had bad experience with Samsung AC, so I avoid them. At the higher end there are Inverter AC from General and Daikin, at the lower end LG and a few other 3/4 star AC.

With electricity rates climbing every year, if your AC runs for 6 months or more, 12 hours a day, it is advisable to go in for the Inverter AC, as they will recover their extra cost very fast. Another plus point is that Inverter AC have soft start, unlike normal AC, which means if you plan to use small generator, it will not be overloaded by a high starting current - a useful feature where power break downs are frequent and unpredictable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Stick to an air conditioner with reciprocating and not rotary compressor. The latter reportedly performs at less than optimum levels at higher temperatures.
There is a premium that is paid for the inverter airconditioners plus remember that the inverter tech is electronic and hence comes with along with the same levels of unpredictable longevity issues that are associated with electronics at large. So do remember to educate urself re possible repair/replacement scenarios..
We have 3 General ac bought from Karol bagh (w/o bill) about 10 years ago. Filled gas in 2 and that's it. Cooling is heads and shoulders above the run of the mill Samsung/LG...
@Happysmiles : Thank you for suggestion. I will consider Daikin befor buying. If the price is cheap then paying extra for those pipes and fitting will not be a problem for me.

@Aroy : After reading review on net I am scared of Samsung's after sale service and mainly the product itself.

@ Cowardly Lion : I was reading few reviews about the Inverter AC and I am worried about the same. I don't mind paying extra electricity bill and have a peace of mind rather buy this stuff and regretting later.

I'll look in to Daikin and LG now.
atulsian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 12:52   #4240
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
... I will consider Daikin befor buying. If the price is cheap then paying extra for those pipes and fitting will not be a problem for me.
Buy the copper outside and you will get it for 240-300rs a meter compared to 600 that the installers charge you. For a friend we bought about 15 meters as his flat is on the 1st floor and the room side did not permit the installation of the ODU around the area of installation. So it was installed on the terrace which is on the 4th/5th floor. Surprisingly there was no need to fill any additional gas into the lengthy pipes to supplement the factory filled amount. His was a 1T Daikin btw.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 14:13   #4241
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
....

I'll look in to Daikin and LG now.
Of the two my recommendation would be the LG.
Very good after sales service and products that last.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 15:55   #4242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Of the two my recommendation would be the LG.
Very good after sales service and products that last.
Actually I have a TV and a Washing Machine from LG running flawless from last 1 year and 6 months respectively. I wanted to try a new company but it looks like LG will be the final choice.
atulsian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 16:36   #4243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,605
Thanked: 6,692 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I was looking at our old main-hall Samsung and shaking my head. Then I thought to clean the filters, and voila, it is cooling again. So, once again, purchase postponed

I did get as far as a bit of browsing. This machine is noisy, and if I had funds, I would replace it now, but I haven't, so next year, before summer (unless it breaks before then) will be the time.

What is the current thinking about Panasonic?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 16:44   #4244
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was looking at our old main-hall Samsung and shaking my head. Then I thought to clean the filters, and voila, it is cooling again. So, once again, purchase postponed

I did get as far as a bit of browsing. This machine is noisy, and if I had funds, I would replace it now, but I haven't, so next year, before summer (unless it breaks before then) will be the time.

What is the current thinking about Panasonic?
I have a Panasonic 2 Ton in my home theatre room (room is 300 sq ft +) and exposed to sun from the Top and also South walls. The AC cools the room very effectively, even in 45 Degree outside heat. It is around 3 years old now and still performing flawlessly. I would certainly recommend Panasonic as a brand.
The other ACs I have in our House are 2 Hitachi, 1 LG (Hot and Cold) and 1 Electrolux apart from the Panasonic. The Hitachis are also good (they are both 9 years old now, and at that time Hitachi quality was very good- however 5 years back they started dropping the quality to keep costs low). The LG is pathetic and doesn't cool to well in high temperatures. The Electrolux is also good.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 09:19   #4245
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Stick to an air conditioner with reciprocating and not rotary compressor. The latter reportedly performs at less than optimum levels at higher temperatures.
There is a premium that is paid for the inverter airconditioners plus remember that the inverter tech is electronic and hence comes with along with the same levels of unpredictable longevity issues that are associated with electronics at large. So do remember to educate urself re possible repair/replacement scenarios..
I have had rotary window units for over a dozen years. No real issues. It is true these tend to become poor performers about say 50C, but then how many of us live in such climes.

As for inverters I have had a Daikin for over two years now. Earlier I had a non-inverter Videocon for over a decade. Modern units are choc-a-bloc with electronics so the additional complication of an inverter hardly adds to the confusion. In the past year I have had blower motor failures on both my Hitachi window and Daikin split. This is not in any way traceable to the electronics!!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 158 23rd July 2017 19:42
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks