Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 12:32   #4591
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,081
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
... so might experiment by clubbing it with a small portable cooler or think about insulating the roof!
....
A cooler cannot be used in conjunction with an AC. Don't waste money trying it.
But yes, a properly mounted cooler by itself will do an excellent job these days with RH levels at 20% and lower. Portable coolers that are kept IN the room are of no use; they just increase the humidity levels in the room to unbearable levels without adequately bringing down the temperature.

Insulating the roof will go a long way in saving electricity when using the AC. You could consider installing an awning on the roof; it will serve the dual purpose of insulation, and provide a sit out (or possibility of a roof top garden with potted plants).
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 12:53   #4592
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,792
Thanked: 7,118 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Companies need to keep their (out sourced) service technicians on a tight leash. Otherwise there is no sense of commitment. Yesterday a technician sent by Daikin came and inspected our old IDU. He promised to come again today with appropriate testing equipment. He did not turn up.
Too true! Although I have complimented them in the past, we now know that the engineering company has received our replacement motor, but has not turned up to install it.

It is sadly well established that Sharp does not care. Possibly, they do not care for their air-conditioning division world-wide. I wonder how long before the products get dropped, the division is dumped, and parts become absolutely impossible to source, regardless of warranty, AMC and blah blah blah
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 12:58   #4593
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Just installed a 1.5T Napoleon Split (5 star) for my MASSIVE rooftop room. Does a great job at night but the day time heat is killing it. Might need another AC (which i don't want), so might experiment by clubbing it with a small portable cooler or think about insulating the roof!

I paid 28k for the unit + installation in NOIDA.
Cooler is not the way to go. You cannot use cooler and AC in the same room. The cooler will blow all the cold air blown by AC. If at all, you can use the cooler to cool the AC heat exchanger - the rear of a window AC or the ODU of a split. Blowing cold moist air will increase the thermal efficiency of the AC a lot.

For long term benefit, insulate the roof of the room either with insulation from inside (ceiling), or by suitable layer on the outside - terrace. You can also paint the structure with sun reflecting paint (advertised a lot by Ministry of Environment and PCRA)
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 16:38   #4594
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 142
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
In consideration of the data below, for a normal closed bedroom of 150 Sqft, how much would one expect the inverter ac to slow down if we set at around 25-26 for the night with an average ambient change from 33 to 26.

Daikin working range:
for FTKP50QRV16:
BTU : 8500-17100-19400
Power : 710 W to 1750 W

for FTKM50QRV16:
BTU : 3400-17100-20500
Power : 370 W to 1700 W

Mitshubishi MYS-GK18VA:
yet to find data.

General ASGA18JCC 1.5TR Inverter:
BTU : 3100-17742-20500
TR variance : 0.26 to 1.71


Hitatchi RAU518CWEA (5300i)
Values at 50%-100%-Max rating
BTU : 2800-17999-20814
Power consumption (W): 540-1490-1800

Trying to conserve power but will the ac really need to go down to that low level or it is just a case of available range of the ac? Please share your experiences on the level of inverter ac slowdown over a period of 6 hours, specific to a bedroom installation.

Choices are narrowing down to :
Mutsubishi (cost approximately 59k)
General (cost approximately 61k) (service delay possibility)
Daikin (cost approximately 52.5k)
Hitatchi (cost approximately 59k) (Noise and service are the spoilers here.)

Thanks a lot.
Hi,
After installing ACs in the bed rooms, now I am want to buy an AC for my living room and the quotes that i got for Daikin (FTKM series) and Mitsubishi matches exactly with yours. May I know, from whom (which dealer) you got these quotes? And I presume that these quotes are for unit price and does not include installation and other charges?
As mentioned earlier in this thread, i have already installed Mitsubishi 5-star 1-ton ACs in the bed rooms. Now, i have decided to go with inverter model for living room, but am not able to pick between Mitsubishi and Daikin. I am quite happy with the performance of current ACs and hence tending towards Mitsubishi, but i am also looking at the cost difference between Daikin and Mitsubishi.
Anyway, keep me updated on your final decision, that may also help me in finalizing the brand.
kavensri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:16   #4595
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Hi,
After installing ACs in the bed rooms, now I am want to buy an AC for my living room and the quotes that i got for Daikin (FTKM series) and Mitsubishi matches exactly with yours. May I know, from whom (which dealer) you got these quotes? And I presume that these quotes are for unit price and does not include installation and other charges?
As mentioned earlier in this thread, i have already installed Mitsubishi 5-star 1-ton ACs in the bed rooms. Now, i have decided to go with inverter model for living room, but am not able to pick between Mitsubishi and Daikin. I am quite happy with the performance of current ACs and hence tending towards Mitsubishi, but i am also looking at the cost difference between Daikin and Mitsubishi.
Anyway, keep me updated on your final decision, that may also help me in finalizing the brand.
If you are happy with the current brand, just buy more of the same. Saves a lot of logistics hassles while servicing. A larger lot of same brand will get you better discounts from service providers.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:17   #4596
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Thanks for the data collection. Have a few queries & suggestions, which refrigerant gas is better R32 OR 410? Also could we get data regarding Condenser Coil & fins w.r.t. to their bulid, copper or Aluminium, coated or blue fin tech.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:24   #4597
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 142
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you are happy with the current brand, just buy more of the same. Saves a lot of logistics hassles while servicing. A larger lot of same brand will get you better discounts from service providers.
Thanks for your advice. I agree with you and even I want to do the same. But, the cost difference is making me to think again. Mitsubishi does not price copper coil as free, and in the living room, i may have need more than 3 mts of copper coil, so that will also add to the final cost.
kavensri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:33   #4598
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

The older refrigerants are more efficient, but are being phased out due to Ozone Depletion Characteristics of released gas. R32 is the latest and is supplanting R410A, but it is flammable.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:35   #4599
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 470
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Now, i have decided to go with inverter model for living room, but am not able to pick between Mitsubishi and Daikin.
Depends entirely on family lifestyle but to me it makes more sense to install inverter AC in bedroom because usage hour per day is more in bedroom than in living room. For people who watch TV / surf the net / play PC games / etc in the bedroom, the AC will be on for more than 12 hours a day.

I have a question: I have been suggested to buy and connect an IDU of another brand to my old Daikin ODU. This suggestion came from the technician sent by Daikin. Is this practical and advisable?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 18:53   #4600
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 142
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Depends entirely on family lifestyle but to me it makes more sense to install inverter AC in bedroom because usage hour per day is more in bedroom than in living room. For people who watch TV / surf the net / play PC games / etc in the bedroom, the AC will be on for more than 12 hours a day.
As you rightly mentioned, in my case, I am sure that the AC will have its maximum usage in the living room than the bed room. So, i have thought about it and then only decided to go with inverter model in living room.
Btw, this is my first AC usage (have been since last one month), but we could never use it continuously whole night. Our usage is something like this, run it for couple of hours and then switch to Fan.
kavensri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 21:31   #4601
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,081
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
....
I have a question: I have been suggested to buy and connect an IDU of another brand to my old Daikin ODU. This suggestion came from the technician sent by Daikin. Is this practical and advisable?
This is an entirely feasible proposition. There is, in fact, hardly any caveat to it except that the IDU should not be one designed for R12, which used far lower pressures than any other refrigerant.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 23:43   #4602
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,792
Thanked: 7,118 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This is an entirely feasible proposition. There is, in fact, hardly any caveat ...
So a working ODU does not have to be scrapped because of IDU problems?

What about the cabling and control circuits?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 00:03   #4603
BHPian
 
optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thanks for the data collection. Have a few queries & suggestions, which refrigerant gas is better R32 OR 410? Also could we get data regarding Condenser Coil & fins w.r.t. to their build, copper or Aluminium, coated or blue fin tech.
The data is of the higher end models where aluminum is not used. Will mention it there. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Btw, this is my first AC usage (have been since last one month), but we could never use it continuously whole night. Our usage is something like this, run it for couple of hours and then switch to Fan.
Why? Too cold towards the wee hours? You could try setting the temperature a bit higher.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
After installing ACs in the bed rooms, now I am want to buy an AC for my living room and the quotes that i got for Daikin (FTKM series) and Mitsubishi matches exactly with yours. May I know, from whom (which dealer) you got these quotes? And I presume that these quotes are for unit price and does not include installation and other charges?
Then the dealer is very honest in treating all customers equal. Thanks for the lead. Wintair seems to be professional and had the best interaction among all those who i spoke to. Never thought I would have to give their reference back to you

I will definitely give my choice and reasons. Hope to finalize in a day unless they throw a spanner in my supposedly technical evaluation. This was more difficult than buying a car.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:12   #4604
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,081
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So a working ODU does not have to be scrapped because of IDU problems?

What about the cabling and control circuits?
No sir. An ODU can be coupled to any other IDU of similar specification. Similar, not identical. This applies only to non-inverter ACs. I would imagine that inverter controlled ACs would need the identical IDU.

There is only one signal that the ODU needs - to run or not to run! That simple instruction can be sent to it by any IDU, regardless of make and model.

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd April 2016 at 06:16.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:00   #4605
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 470
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Btw, this is my first AC usage (have been since last one month), but we could never use it continuously whole night. Our usage is something like this, run it for couple of hours and then switch to Fan.
You should use the night mode / sleep timer / off timer (different names by different brands). it increases the temperature during the night so that you can have undisturbed sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is only one signal that the ODU needs - to run or not to run! That simple instruction can be sent to it by any IDU, regardless of make and model.
Thanks for the input. One problem is that IDUs are not sold separately by reputed brands, so the only choice is local brands. The feature set and performance characteristics will be governed by the IDU, judging by your response above. That's a bummer!
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 169 20th November 2017 14:39
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks