Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 00:58   #5281
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

My 5 year old Daikin split AC's PCB died a few days back during a voltage fluctuation despite having a stabilizer.
The service guy quoted a bill of 5600 INR for PCB replacement.

I've still not gone for the renewal though.
I have asked a local electrician to try and repair the PCB, let's see how it goes.

Will need to get a good stabilizer and spike protector also.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 02:14   #5282
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,692
Thanked: 6,863 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
My 5 year old Daikin split AC's PCB died a few days back during a voltage fluctuation despite having a stabilizer.
The service guy quoted a bill of 5600 INR for PCB replacement. ... ... ...
Could be a lot worse!

But could be a lot better if you can get a guy with a soldering iron to fix it. Good luck!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:47   #5283
BHPian
 
BLACKBLADE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tiruchirappalli
Posts: 106
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

I have purchased a 1 Tonne Carrier Octra 3 Star Cyclojet A/C for my study room of size 120 Square feet. Price was Rs. 31,000 after discounts. The installation was done by Carrier Service personnel for free.

The technical specification and other features of the A/C can be found here

The outdoor unit of the A/C is cylindrical in shape, unlike conventional boxy ones, with the fan at the top. Carrier calls it Cyclojet and was introduced quite recently. This was the main reason for me to buy a carrier A/C as I wanted to check it out. There are mixed reviews about cyclojet though. Long term reliability and performance remains to be seen.

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?-cmicyclojet.jpg

Looks: 8/10 Looks good, not great. The indoor unit is small being a 1 tonner. It has a bright white LED display for temperature. Outdoor unit looks fancy though

Price: 9/10 I believe I have got the A/C for a good deal.

Noise level: 9/10. Super low noise levels.

Cooling: 8/10 Although it will not instantly chill the room, say like a 1.5 tonne fitted to the same room size, it cools the room in about 10-15 minutes.There is a Super Turbo mode for quick cooling.

Power Consumption: Although too early to comment on it. I expect it to consume anywhere between 6-8 units per day for eight hour operation.

Installation: 8/10. The service personnel were professional in their approach and did the installation in clean manner.

Service: Although too early to comment on it,friends vouch that Carrier has got a pretty good service network and they do respond promptly.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 24th May 2017 at 09:56.
BLACKBLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:26   #5284
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,082
Thanked: 3,640 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

@BLACKBLADE; Carrier lost a lot of their Mojo in the past few years. It is always good to see them coming back. Let us hope. Incidentally the original Voltas was Carrier.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:52   #5285
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
My 5 year old Daikin split AC's PCB died a few days back during a voltage fluctuation despite having a stabilizer.
The service guy quoted a bill of 5600 INR for PCB replacement.

I've still not gone for the renewal though.
I have asked a local electrician to try and repair the PCB, let's see how it goes.

Will need to get a good stabilizer and spike protector also.
Guys, how important is a voltage stabilizer for an AC? I run all my appliances - refrigerator, TV, AV receiver - without stabilizers, and has held up well.

I have shelved my plans to run the AC on UPS until the day I have enough money to buy a solar setup and a large UPS, so the plan for 1.5T Daikin stays. I am waiting for payday to come to make the purchase.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:02   #5286
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Guys, how important is a voltage stabilizer for an AC? I run all my appliances - refrigerator, TV, AV receiver - without stabilizers, and has held up well.

I have shelved my plans to run the AC on UPS until the day I have enough money to buy a solar setup and a large UPS, so the plan for 1.5T Daikin stays. I am waiting for payday to come to make the purchase.
As per my recent experience a good spike protector plus a good stabilizer is a must for costly equipment.

The day when I got that voltage fluctuation, my home theater setup was powered through a Belkin spike protector and a V-Guard stabilizer and the protector cut off the line during this fluctuation.

However, my AC was through a generic stabilizer only and the PCB went kaput.
Belkin saved my amplifier, PS4, etc.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:24   #5287
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
The day when I got that voltage fluctuation, my home theater setup was powered through a Belkin spike protector and a V-Guard stabilizer and the protector cut off the line during this fluctuation.
Was it the stabilizer or the spike that cut off the line? My LG tv is going through a Belkin Spike that is connected to an APC Stabilizer which is receiving power from the mains, which is also protected by a full house UPS. Inspite of this the TV board had conked out and needed replacement a year back.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:30   #5288
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Was it the stabilizer or the spike that cut off the line? My LG tv is going through a Belkin Spike that is connected to an APC Stabilizer which is receiving power from the mains, which is also protected by a full house UPS. Inspite of this the TV board had conked out and needed replacement a year back.
It was the spike since I could see the power safety cutout light.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:56   #5289
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
It was the spike since I could see the power safety cutout light.
Do you mind sharing the link or an image of this spike. I only have these kind at home - about 8 of these -


diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 14:05   #5290
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Do you mind sharing the link or an image of this spike. I only have these kind at home - about 8 of these
This is the one that I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?-screenshot_2017052414021601.jpeg  

Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 14:31   #5291
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,692
Thanked: 6,863 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Hmmm... Mitsubishi or Daikin... Daikin or Mitsubishi....

Decisions, decisions. I fancy Daikin (but for no good reason other than brand bias towards seeing Daikin/General as the luxury brands) but I am not going to get specially corrosion resistant.

The Mitsubishi has, it seems, special coating on indoor-unit components, even reducing dust build up, and blue-fin protection on the outside coil. Both have copper components, so no aluminium-repair problems in the future.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 15:39   #5292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 125
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

i have two sharp 1 ton inverters and so far they are running good and its almost three years. would like to know if we can do the maintenance as DIY as the so called technicians just pour water and say they are done. Outdoor unit service seems fairly easy but i am skeptical about touching the indoor unit and you-tube is a bit confusing.
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 17:35   #5293
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
i have two sharp 1 ton inverters and so far they are running good and its almost three years. would like to know if we can do the maintenance as DIY as the so called technicians just pour water and say they are done. Outdoor unit service seems fairly easy but i am skeptical about touching the indoor unit and you-tube is a bit confusing.
Yes, you can do the regular maintenance yourself.
Need to clean the air filters and the outdoor unit.

Almost all indoor units have a pop up cover which can be opened and filters can be taken out for cleaning.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 17:38   #5294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 125
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Yes, you can do the regular maintenance yourself.
Need to clean the air filters and the outdoor unit.

Almost all indoor units have a pop up cover which can be opened and filters can be taken out for cleaning.
Thanks Buddy. I am already doing that. But i wanted to go the next step. Means completely cleaning the indoor unit either with a coil cleaner or some other method as lot of accumulated dust in the internal fan and coil.
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 17:49   #5295
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Thanks Buddy. I am already doing that. But i wanted to go the next step. Means completely cleaning the indoor unit either with a coil cleaner or some other method as lot of accumulated dust in the internal fan and coil.
That also can be done fairly easily.
Only need to make provision for draining the water, etc.
Spray the cleaner, wait for some time, spray water.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance vebmetal Technical Stuff 163 11th September 2017 19:10
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks