Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 10:16   #3931
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
One of the main issue is that they mess up the paint during installation and service. One trick I've taught many is to stick a plastic bag under the area of drilling using painters tape to collect the drilled mortar/dust and I keep reminding them not to touch the walls with dirty hands.
The other thing you should do is to not have the wire from the stabilizer to IDU inside the room. This can come from ODU to the IDU via the same hole where the copper pipe is let in. Improves the overall look.
Thanks. I'll source the painter's tape on my way home today. About the stabiliser thing, what you're saying is to fit it on the outside right? Thing is, there's no plug point for the AC where it has to be installed. So if I'm getting that done, I might just get the plug point installed in the balcony area itself. The stabiliser and the power point next to the AC ruins it completely. Do you think this could work?

Sorry for sounding so noob/newb about this. As I said before, this is the first time I'm getting an AC installed all by myself.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:50   #3932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I might just get the plug point installed in the balcony area itself. The stabiliser and the power point next to the AC ruins it completely.

I was actually meaning to keep the stabilizer inside with a wire going to the Outdoor unit and then from outside the outdoor unit provides a cable to the indoor unit though the hole in the wall. This conceals the wire better. However if you are setting the plug point from scratch than you should find a safe place for the stabilizer outside and only have the switch inside. That will take care of the unsightly stuff.
Here's an example of no visible wires to or from the indoor unit.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428383749.524043.jpg
And here is the unsightly part of the stabilizer but sending a wire outside through the hole in the window frame
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428383988.138032.jpg
Old 7th April 2015, 10:56   #3933
BHPian

Quote:
Here's an example of no visible wires to or from the indoor unit.

And here is the unsightly part of the stabilizer but sending a wire outside through the hole in the window frame
This is awesome. Will try to achieve this as much as I can. Thanks a lot, man
Old 7th April 2015, 12:43   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Need help to select a AC for the living room. Dimensions are approx 24'Lx12.5'Wx10'H. Its a ground floor with no floors above and two windows on the eastern side.

Will a 2 ton unit suffice ? I'm considering getting either a 2 or 3 star unit and skip the inverters since we won't be using the AC much. It'll run for 5 hours a day at most.

I'm considering:

General 2 ton unit for about 51k online (R410a)
http://www.generalindia.com/asga24fmta-2-ton.html

Daikin 1.8 ton unit for 47k (R32)
http://www.daikinindia.com/products-...2-ftq-series-1

The inverter models in both brands are at a premium of 16-17k. For our usage,is it worth considering those ?

General service is bad and i've heard Daikin is not much better,since we already have General inverter AC's in rooms thinking of sticking with the known devil.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:05   #3935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Largely academic, though, as you have an engineer on the way soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@diyguy; See if you are low on refrigerant. Very likely there is some leak left in the system.
A technician visited from another dealership. He said there is a gas leak and will cost me 3800. I questioned him why I have to pay for Daikin service center employee messing up the AC and if I should be paying everytime for their mistakes. The AC was fine earlier and had no such icing or water leakage issue. They had visited me last month for a water wash as cooling was less and I am guessing due to their handling this has happened. I have had such an issue in the past with my window acs too, many a time.

Long story short they are saying I need to pay.

My question is, since there is sufficient cooling now, should I take a chance and just have the gas topped up to stop the icing? I know the topup/refill costs only 700rs or so. If it leaks again or the icing persists, maybe then I can go in for this sort of leak investigation, welding and refill?
Old 7th April 2015, 21:29   #3936
BHPian

On Sunday I got my Samsung 1.5 Ton installed after 6 months after moving from one flat to another. The main reason for the delay was we wanted it in another room, but needed an AC engineer to hang from the apartment terrace. So we decided to use it in another room were installation was more feasible. The AC tech did the job but towards the end when attaching the copper pipes to the out door unit, he had some issues. he had to re weld. Then he checked for any leaks with soap water and it looked all ok.
However he did say the gas was low, he showed the pressure gauge and it was around 35 to 40. He mentioned Icing may occur.

We have used the AC of a few hours in the day and night. Cooling is good.
My question to the experts out here is
1. What is the normal pressure that is supposed to be there?
2. What is the cost of gas top in Bangalore
3. Anyone know of a good/trusting AC mech who can check my reinstall and do the gas top up if needed.

thanks, Rajesh
Old 7th April 2015, 23:59   #3937
BHPian

Hi folks,
Need some advice. Past one week, we have seen the temperature rise at Bangalore. Hence looking for an AC for my bedroom.
I feel this will be used almost for 10 - 12 hours for the coming months till the temperature falls. Does it make sense to go for an inverter unit?
The room size is 12x 11 x 9 ft. We live on the 2nd floor and have 2 floors above ours. And no direct sunlight on any of the walls as the bedroom is inside. Will a 1 ton unit suffice?

What I have seen from specs is that the 5 star unit and the inverter unit is rated almost the same KW. So is uniform / constant cooling the only advantage of the inverter unit?
My priorities are Reliability & lower running and acquisition cost.

Last edited by glenmz : 8th April 2015 at 00:24.
Old 8th April 2015, 10:46   #3938
BANNED

@diyguy; I hear R410 is much costlier then R22. As for the charges, they are as was once said by Angela Rippon on the BBC. She had a breakdown and a mechanic was called. He looked inside the bonnet, thumped once and she was fine. He asked for a fiver (this was the seventies). she said a fiver for a thump, and he replied, ma'am the thump is only 50p the rest is for knowing where to thump.
Old 8th April 2015, 11:22   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Hi folks,
Need some advice. Past one week, we have seen the temperature rise at Bangalore. Hence looking for an AC for my bedroom.
I feel this will be used almost for 10 - 12 hours for the coming months till the temperature falls. Does it make sense to go for an inverter unit?
The room size is 12x 11 x 9 ft. We live on the 2nd floor and have 2 floors above ours. And no direct sunlight on any of the walls as the bedroom is inside. Will a 1 ton unit suffice?

What I have seen from specs is that the 5 star unit and the inverter unit is rated almost the same KW. So is uniform / constant cooling the only advantage of the inverter unit?
My priorities are Reliability & lower running and acquisition cost.
Based on my recent experience, I would think that 1 ton should suffice for you. I also stay in Bangalore and I got a 1.5 ton inverter AC for a 14x12x12 room, which is on the top floor with light falling on entire wall afternoon. Within a few minutes of switching on AC, we feel it is cool enough. I was thinking a lower powered AC would have also sufficed for me. I am referring to a 1.5 ton Panasonic inverter AC. But I guess other brand inverter ACs should also cool in a similar way.

Many of the AC brochures suggest that you can use a lower wattage AC if it is of inverter type. I remember to a have seen this sharp A/C brochure
Old 8th April 2015, 14:22   #3940
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for buying an AC for my bedroom. Since the usage will be less (only during March April and May), and since I have some financial constraints, I have decided to go for a normal 1 ton model.
How good is Lloyd (Compared to Samsung \ LG etc)? There is a 1 ton 3 star rated model, available at FK, for about 22K (after cash back), which looks like a good deal. Should I go for it? (http://www.flipkart.com/lloyd-ls-13a...6-ea426859e262)

My original intention was to go for Panasonic, but my budget is capped at around 30K, including installation, so I am not even sure if I have any choices in Panasonic. I will be visiting few stores this weekend to find if there is any model available, but if not, which is the safer bet among Lloyd, LG and Samsung?
PS: Lloyd comes with copper compressor and 5 year warranty.

--Anoop
Old 8th April 2015, 15:49   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
How good is Lloyd..There is a 1 ton 3 star rated model, available at FK, for about 22K
There was a 1T (and 5* if I am not mistaken) Lloyd on Amazon for 17.5 after coupons and cash back but without installation. Look a few pages back from here.
Old 8th April 2015, 17:39   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a 1T (and 5* if I am not mistaken) Lloyd on Amazon for 17.5 after coupons and cash back but without installation. Look a few pages back from here.
Thank you.

Called up the Lloyed dealer near my house and he me that ACs brought from online do not have full warranty (For example, Lloyd says 5 year warranty in their website but FK says 4 year warranty). I tried calling up the Lloyd customer care to confirm this but after waiting for the customer service executive to pick up the call, the IVR cut my call without any response - 3 times in a row. So, not really sure I should trust my money with them

--Anoop
Old 8th April 2015, 17:49   #3943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I tried calling up the Lloyd customer care to confirm this but after waiting for the customer service executive to pick up the call, the IVR cut my call without any response - 3 times in a row. So, not really sure I should trust my money with them
--Anoop
Try speaking or emailing the amazon folks instead. I wouldnt trust the showroom guy as he wants to make you the sale. The 5 year warranty should only be on the compressor.
Old 8th April 2015, 18:04   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks a load for the information! Tomorrow, I talk to the owner and see what can be done. Hopefully he says no and I can save that money
And owner is humming and hawing. Not really interested in allowing me to fit in that AC and is asking me if I will leave the AC when I am leaving. I really wanted to do something to him!

I think I am stewing this year. I will shift house before next year summer - to some ground floor apartment.
Old 8th April 2015, 18:38   #3945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try speaking or emailing the amazon folks instead. I wouldnt trust the showroom guy as he wants to make you the sale. The 5 year warranty should only be on the compressor.
Thank you, but my main concern is not the showroom guy, but the customer care - if I cant reach them, what will I do if I really needed them like in case of a service or repair?

Yes - the 5 year warranty is only for the compressor.

OT: May be it is BS, but I have hared the same line from Sharp also. They also display 'No warranty if brought from Snapdeal' in their website.

--Anoop

Most Viewed