Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 22nd August 2008, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default TATA sky on LCD monitor

Guys,

I am planning for a monitor upgrade. I will be buying LCD 22 - 24 inch monitor in couple of months time. What I am thinking is to have it as comp monitor as well as TV as it will save me from buying a new TV and then will save on space as well.

I have TATA Sky connection for my 29 inch flat TV. Computer will be in my bedroom where I want to have LCD monitor cum TV. Will be taking another TATA sky/Big TV which I will connect to my LCD Monitor.

Could you please confirm if I can connect TATA sky to LCD Monitor with the use of TV tuner? Has anybody done that ?
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi neoonwheels,

> Could you please confirm if I can connect TATA sky to LCD Monitor with the > use of TV tuner? Has anybody done that ?

I have connected SUN DTH through TV Tuner to an LCD Monitor. Old LCD monitors may not work, but the new ones should.

Right now the DTH is connected to a Videocon Integra LCD TV which also has a VGA IN connector though I don't use it with a computer.

The setup is in my shop for customers.

I am sure it could be done.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Buy a TV tuner card which has the inputs needed for Tata Sky(3 RCAs) & you are done
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:52   #4
BHPian

@neoonwheels

Yup, I've done it.
It works ok.

I'm using a Samsung 22' LCD monitor and Mron LCD tv tuner (External).

Please make sure you use a LCD tv tuner box.
Normal tv tuner boxes support only VGA (640x480) resolution.

This means the picture will not be clear but not as clear as it can be.
So here is where the LCD support comes in handy as you can adjust the resolution to upto 1680 x 1050 (almost HD quality).

Do keep in mind the output will be only as good as the input.
Tatasky is not HD quality but its pretty close to DVD quality.

So the extra money approx 1.5k is money well spent.

Having said that...

For me the TV tuner box is responding to tatasky remote (its not a shot stopper but just irritating)

when I'm changing channel or adjusting volume some function in the TV tuner gets activated. It is just irritating. But it might be an isolated case for this particular model.

If you need more info please feel free to ask.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post

Could you please confirm if I can connect TATA sky to LCD Monitor with the use of TV tuner? Has anybody done that ?
It could be done, but the picture quality will not be great. I have tested this option before. Then i went for an internal TV tuner card.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:57   #6
BHPian

Try to get the LCD Monitor with DVI In, then without the TV Tuner card you can connect the tata sky to LCD Monitor with a S Video->DVI converter, otherwise get a tuner card.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:13   #7
BHPian

Default TATA Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Try to get the LCD Monitor with DVI In, then without the TV Tuner card you can connect the tata sky to LCD Monitor with a S Video->DVI converter, otherwise get a tuner card.
The Tata Sky set-top box does not have S-Video out. It has only simple RCA out.

Get a RCA to Monitor cable something like this except that you need a male/female converter. Or just cut the wires and tape them.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2015_39145586

Since the set-top box does all the decoding n stuff you do not need a TV Tuner card. Just a pair of speakers might be needed.
Fillmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

um, you cant convert from Composite to VGA using just wires! You'll still need a tv tuner. Even though you dont need the tuning, you'll still need the conversion
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Default tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
um, you cant convert from Composite to VGA using just wires! You'll still need a tv tuner. Even though you dont need the tuning, you'll still need the conversion
Oh .. is it, I was not sure whether it was possible.
Since I saw such a cable I thought it would work. Wondere why would someone manufacture an RCA to Monitor cable if format conversion was required.
Fillmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:12   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I just gotta add that Tata Sky's quality is no great shakes on any LCD, including the 32" in my room as well as that of friends. Some channels such as Zee movies can become an eyesore.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:50   #11
BHPian

Many LCD monitors nowadays come with Composite video input. Buy any one of them. For example this one from LG M228WA.
This would be the best option to connect Tata Sky stb rather than using TV tuner or DVI convertor.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Get BigTV... the quality delivered on LCD TVs is brilliant, especially movie channels are true DVD quality.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Get BigTV... the quality delivered on LCD TVs is brilliant, especially movie channels are true DVD quality.
Dish TV's quality is great too on my 29" CRT but the same is wayyy behind on a LCD screen especially the computer monitors.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 14:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am using my comp to watch TV in my room and using the internal TV tuner card which came free along with my HP desktop 2 years back, using another set top box for that to have freedom of channel choice, its good for small screen but for bigger LCD's like 32" and above its not advisible.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 14:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is from Reliance? Has it been already released elsewhere in India? I just saw huge paper ads for south.

They are offering at Rs.1990 with 12 months subsription free + Installation free.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote