Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th September 2009, 20:53   #151
Team-BHP Support

I leave it on charge overnight every day and at the end of the day it gets discharged anything between 90-60% depending on my usage. I have Wifi ON and Push & Bluetooth in OFF mode. Running on OS 3.0.1.

I do a battery cycling (complete discharge till it switches off, leave it off for 10-15 minutes and then fully charge overnight) every month. From 0 it takes about 1.5+ hours to fully charge. To completely drain it takes approx 2-2.5 days of slightly heavy usage.

Please note that though the plug sign comes on the battery meter (phone), its not fully charged. It takes another 20-30 minutes minimum, this you can check if you have a battery app installed OR by looking at the iTunes battery indicator. When it shows plugged in symbol, battery is fully charged.

My phone is not jailbroken and its been reported that JB reduces battery back up.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 21:56   #152
BHPian

Red face

@Jaggu, do you need one more reason to go legit? Here you go.

Push only works properly with legal phones. Either buy legit phones with contract from Airtel/Vodafone OR buy factory unlocked ones from Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, etc.

Jailbreaking, does not affect push, AFAIK.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:51   #153
BHPian

I have this official Airtel iphone 3g, just 4 months old and its not jailbroken. The plug sign comes on after fully charged. It takes 4 hours for the battery sign to come, and still the battery would drain off in just 4-5 hours with out much usage and also keeping all the wi-fi, bluetooth, location service,push to off position.

I had installed free apps from i tunes store, which seems to be the prob. Yesterday i removed all the applications and there is a remarkable difference.

After full charge yesterday morning the battery is still showing almost 50% charge.

This means some application was pulling away all the battery life.

No i am installing 2 applications in a day to check, which is that application draining the battery.

Will update with results.
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 10:36   #154
BHPian

AFAIK Iphone doesnt allow any third party apps to run in background and the reason for that is to conserve battery only. So how your apps are draining battery ?
Any Iphone geek, please throw some flood light on this
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:07   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Firstly its possible to get an iphone without the SSN. Though there are news flowing around that its not possible to buy without the SS number.
I have a cousin in "Michigan" (Mr. singh i hope you know where that place is, oh actually it's in US) said he bought an Iphone while no question was asked was about the "Social Security number". He just paid in "CASH" and walked out.
Even his friend staying in UK bought the phone from US without having asked about the SSN, albeit was asked about the zip code.
Please don't think that we don't have the knowledge before we post.
"I wonder why people don't get the point easily" - And next time be respectful in commenting.
is the iphone(with contract,199$) offered to only residents of US or even to travellers? One of my friend is going to US for a month this weekend, I can ask him to buy one for me for 199$ and what happens to the contract once he is back from US since he will no more be using the phone in US?
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
is the iphone(with contract,199$) offered to only residents of US or even to travellers? One of my friend is going to US for a month this weekend, I can ask him to buy one for me for 199$ and what happens to the contract once he is back from US since he will no more be using the phone in US?
For entering into a contract you require SSN. Travellers/tourists do not get SSN, and hence cannot get into contract.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For entering into a contract you require SSN. Travellers/tourists do not get SSN, and hence cannot get into contract.
The post #140 from Dante says that the phone is available without the SSN, Just now i checked Apple online store and inorder to buy the iphone with contract one need to provide the SSN. Confused now!
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:34   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
The post #140 from Dante says that the phone is available without the SSN, Just now i checked Apple online store and inorder to buy the iphone with contract one need to provide the SSN. Confused now!
iphone WAS available without SSN, when it was sold from apple stores without the connection (it still required an AT&T connection to function). Apple has stopped selling standalone iphone from its stores AFAIK.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:35   #159
Team-BHP Support

Cool Unlocked legally, finally!!!

Well its been a while since i updated this thread, went from OS upgrade's one after the other (right now 3.1.2) but never went for Jailbreak or Unlock, coz i never felt the need. Usage has become 70% plus official on internet side and the OS upgrades really suited me.

Completed 1 year in August and then sometime in September i remembered the official unlock, which was the part of the deal when i picked the phone up through Airtel. After a month plus of up and down drives and email am glad to announce that...

Well, let the pictures speak

Plonk in different network card, nothing happens. So restarted the phone and it went into DFU mode. And then connected the iTunes and i get
iPhone - A costly review, by a mad man! Officially unlocked now!-unlock1.jpg

So i click on FAQ but
iPhone - A costly review, by a mad man! Officially unlocked now!-unlock2.jpg

Got a pop up with IMEI and ICCID, just like SMS pop ups which i didnt take shots off and then, hallelujah Cellone works!
Name:  Picture 279.png
Views: 244
Size:  129.5 KB

and once you explore the settings you get the advanced settings for GPRS etc etc, only when you are using a different SIM card.
Name:  Picture 278.png
Views: 247
Size:  27.9 KB
Name:  Picture 280.png
Views: 290
Size:  30.7 KB

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd November 2009 at 00:17.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:40   #160
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! Damn cool. People who bought their 3G's from Airtel were WAY MORE luckier than some unfortunate people (read: ME) who bought from Vodafone. Neither did they bundle a year of internet (Airtel did), nor did they allow an Official Unlock.
This sucks. I sold mine in a month, @ a loss of 7 k. But, now I have an iPod touch (with the same internals as the 3GS) and I can do almost the same things that I could have done with the iPhone. The iPod is accompanied by a Nokia E63, but had Vodafone not been stingy with their internet plans, I would still be persisting with the Iphone (it was 500 bucks a month for iPhone and there was NO way that I was going to pay so much, given that Airtel had it free at the same cost, and the NORMAL internet from Vodafone was 299 rupees)
Sold the phone since i needed to be connected. Do not rue the decision. Vodafone sucks and so do their hackneyed money making policies!
SOrry for the ramble. COngrats on your upgrade Jaggu. This phone is NOW factory unlocked for life!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:12   #161
Team-BHP Support

So far it has worked out well, on an average i have saved 500 bucks on internet bills for 12 months, which i have used up completely so 6k i saved there. Now an official unlock means i should be able to fetch a slightly better price, if and when i sell, though i have few scratches and one crack on the plastic cover, thanks to my carelessness in the recent months.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:35   #162
BHPian

Jaggu, you seem to know a lot about the iPhone.I have a few doubts, i got a 16gb 3g when i was in Canada. Right now im running 3.0.1, jail broken and unlocked, what i want to know is, is the unlock for 3.1.2 available? And even im facing some battery problems, initially when i upgraded to 3.0.1 the batterey did last for 2 days, but after that it wouuld last only for around 18 hrs (usage being the same).
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:12   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
AFAIK Iphone doesnt allow any third party apps to run in background and the reason for that is to conserve battery only. So how your apps are draining battery ?
Any Iphone geek, please throw some flood light on this
That is not exactly correct. You can run apps like Skype/Yahoomessenger/IM+ in background.
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:08   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Jaggu, you seem to know a lot about the iPhone.I have a few doubts, i got a 16gb 3g when i was in Canada. Right now im running 3.0.1, jail broken and unlocked, what i want to know is, is the unlock for 3.1.2 available? And even im facing some battery problems, initially when i upgraded to 3.0.1 the batterey did last for 2 days, but after that it wouuld last only for around 18 hrs (usage being the same).
These are the guys who can help you scroll down beyond the Halloween pictures for answer Dev-Team Blog

JB and unlock does create some issues with battery life, but most of the time if you do a clean re-install things should become fine. Am not an expert in JB or Unlock
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
These are the guys who can help you scroll down beyond the Halloween pictures for answer Dev-Team Blog

JB and unlock does create some issues with battery life, but most of the time if you do a clean re-install things should become fine. Am not an expert in JB or Unlock
How about Turbo/Hyper Sim variants, are they working with 3.1.2 and are they available in india ???

Thanks
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote