Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th August 2008, 00:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Is Desktop Virtualization with Hyper-V possible?

I recently got a HP ML350 G5 with 8GB RAM and six 146GB SAS 15K rpm drives. My aim is virtualization. I am pretty clear about the server virtualization, but I am confused about the desktop virtualization.

I have it running with Windows 2008 x64 RTM standard with Hyper-V. If I add XP or Vista VMs, how do I make desktop users access them. Remote desktop?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 00:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yes, remote desktop.
Make sure your virtual machines are visible to the network, and your host machine is the "bridge" and not NAT.
So all the user has to do is either vnc(you can run a vnc server on the windows machine) or use windows remote desktop.
I am more of a VNC guy, never used windows stuff
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 01:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

My single biggest complaint with VNC is the rather difficult mouse control. RemotelyAnywhere or RAdmin is a better option. But MSTSC still rules.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th August 2008 at 01:10.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 01:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, remote desktop.
Make sure your virtual machines are visible to the network, and your host machine is the "bridge" and not NAT.
So all the user has to do is either vnc(you can run a vnc server on the windows machine) or use windows remote desktop.
I am more of a VNC guy, never used windows stuff
Mouse control is better if you turn on "local" option in VNC settings. And you may want to use tightvnc for JPEG compressed images which work better in terms of response time...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 10:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I recently got a HP ML350 G5 with 8GB RAM and six 146GB SAS 15K rpm drives. My aim is virtualization. I am pretty clear about the server virtualization, but I am confused about the desktop virtualization.

I have it running with Windows 2008 x64 RTM standard with Hyper-V. If I add XP or Vista VMs, how do I make desktop users access them. Remote desktop?
What you are doing is still server virtualization because desktop users still have their desktops (using which they are accessing VMs on server), unless I didn't understand your situation correctly.

RDP is better way to access windows VMs because it is faster than VNC.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
What you are doing is still server virtualization because desktop users still have their desktops (using which they are accessing VMs on server), unless I didn't understand your situation correctly.
Your understanding is correct. I am planning to use out-of-warranty PCs and ultra-low-specs PCs as terminals. So what is real desktop virtualization, dumb terminals like the earlier UNIX terminals?
Old 27th August 2008, 11:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

With falling hardware prices, dumb terminals are not cost effective any more.
So your idea of using low spec PCs is good
But remember, you will have to buy as many XP licenses as there are users.
In linux you just need to fire up the OS and then multiple users can start their login sessions via vnc, no need of Virtual machines etc.,
Is it possible in windows, that you have one windows running, and multiple users login from different terminals?
Old 27th August 2008, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible in windows, that you have one windows running, and multiple users login from different terminals?
Not possible out of the box. Need to have terminal server to make it possible.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

I think so Tan. That possibility does exist. With MSTS it is definitely possible. And I thinkkkkkk... its possible with XP as well.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, out of box from NT days. By default, server is in "Admin mode". So only admins can login through remote and only 3 users can login at the same time.

With a single switch, this behavior can be turned off and as server can act as "Terminal Server". Though you will need individual licenses for things like Office. And you will need change licensing mode of server.

Specifically disabled in Windows XP (I guess would be same for Vista). If a different user logs in from remote, current user is "locked out". Though all users can log in at the same time. Only one will have console (screen/keyboard/sound etc).
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, these are Windows developers, they can't do it on Linux.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tanveer, these are Windows developers, they can't do it on Linux.
Samurai, I just wanted to know if something similar is possible in windows, that you have one OS running with multiple users logged in to the OS. Apparently XP does not allow it or something, but there is a workaround that.
This way you do not need to run multiple instances of windows, i.e. you do not need to have Multiple virtual machines.
Developers can log in to this one machine from remote terminals and just do their work. Single OS running means better performance.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai, I just wanted to know if something similar is possible in windows, that you have one OS running with multiple users logged in to the OS. Apparently XP does not allow it or something, but there is a workaround that.
Terminal server feature allows this feature, but system developers don't like terminal server, they want the whole OS for themselves.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your understanding is correct. I am planning to use out-of-warranty PCs and ultra-low-specs PCs as terminals. terminals?
Good to know that you are using ultra-low-spec PCs as terminals.

Quote:
So what is real desktop virtualization, dumb terminals like the earlier UNIX
Nope. Dumb terminals like earlier UNIX shared the same OS while in Desktop virtualization, you have your OS to yourself which is hosted on a server somewhere and you could access this OS from anywhere.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

I created couple of Win2008 and a XP-Pro VMs on Hyper-V. While Win2008 VMs run like rocket, the XP-Pro VM runs like a snail. What gives? I can't do desktop vistualization if this is the case.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th August 2008 at 14:29.