Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th August 2008, 22:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

The article is not bad at all. Has decent sensible advice and I agree with most of the suggestions. There are a few decent JBL/Infinity home audio speakers but out and out most of their range is quite crappy. They are mainly voiced for rock and anything else sounds out of place. None of the speakers in the list (Bose, JBL, Polk, Infinity, Eosone, Optimus, Bang and Olfson, Technics, Sony, Pioneer, Fisher, Kenwood, Cerwin, Vega, DCM, KLH, MTX) are anywhere close to value for money.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 30th August 2008 at 23:01.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 00:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

never knew that rediff had "Joke Section" 8 yrs ago.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 01:06   #18
BHPian

The author made a speaker survey based upon home speakers, especially 8 years ago there were not too many dealers like today and speaker systems were not freely available to import.

The author has compared home audio systems and not car audio system. that's where our ambiguity steps in.

The author has done a decent study for the time and appealed to non audiophiles. Cadence is a swear by product in the audiophile circuit, i've demoed them years and years ago. They are beautiful speakers (the electrostatic range) if paired with decent equipment.

Anyways lets not rake up by gone news.

Cheers
M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 31st August 2008 at 01:16. Reason: ambiguity in words
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 01:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

By the way, does this stupid piece of journalism need a discussion thread here? Just a waste of server space and nothing else.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 02:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They also called Kill Bill as Kungfu movie when it was a Samurai movie.

Review: Kung fu Tarantino-style
Is that what it was, I thought it was a mish mash waste of time.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

I didnt read this article (I refuse to!) because I have learnt from experience that rediff is pure junk!!! I guess i just stand vindicated!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 12:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
None of the speakers in the list (Bose, JBL, Polk, Infinity, Eosone, Optimus, Bang and Olfson, Technics, Sony, Pioneer, Fisher, Kenwood, Cerwin, Vega, DCM, KLH, MTX) are anywhere close to value for money.
but the article hints that a JBL/Polk buyer should consdier Candence and JM Lab. THat's what I thought odd. The speakers recommended (other than B&W) were not comparable to the ones that were not (and personally, I find B&W too bright too).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 12:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
speedzak : My god! 8 years? I was an unmarried, free soul then.

Now, why am I typing about some decade old stuff?
Zak's getting all nostalgic. Remembering your good old days, my friend ?

Quote:
simply_sunny001 : never knew that rediff had "Joke Section" 8 yrs ago.
Must have expanded it now. They even sell jokes. (IIRC they feature JBL's in their marketplace).
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 13:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
but the article hints that a JBL/Polk buyer should consdier Candence and JM Lab. THat's what I thought odd. The speakers recommended (other than B&W) were not comparable to the ones that were not (and personally, I find B&W too bright too).
I completely agree but the author has mentioned some speakers in the same price range like Wharfedale, Energy, Jamo, AE, PSB, NHT etc. I guess 8 years ago, the Cadence Arita bookshelf was under 30 grand and would probably make the cut as a low priced speaker. Not any longer though. Personally I find JBL highly fatiguing to listen to. Can't stand it for more than ten minutes.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st September 2008 at 13:03.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 13:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Personally I find JBL highly fatiguing to listen to. Can't stand it for more than ten minutes.
Totally agreed, Music taste change with every person. But say a product is wrong is totally incorrect.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote