Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 10:33   #61
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

A few dumb questions coming your way guys, so please bear with me:
1) Does the E71 have some sort of anti-virus protection? I cannot find this on the phone or accompanying CD.

2) Has anyone used advanced call manager. I see it has a voicemail functionality - only thing is that I cannot activate it to take missed calls.

3) Google Maps GPS - When I am driving should the little pin on the map keeo moving, cause mine stays static and then suddenly refreshes after sometime. I am on Airtel Edge and have GPS Sat coverage.

4) Where is a search function for imap email!?

Thanks,
vcash
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 17:50   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

@vcash,

1> you can upgrade to FSecure for complete anti-virus protection.
Qin is freeware anti-virus, download here..
Qin network antivirus for S60 3rd -Smartphone,PocketPC,Palm,Symbian,PDA,iPAQ,GPS,S60, UIQ,S80,Mobile
2> Did not understand what you mean by voicemail taking missed calls? Are you referring to diverting all calls <on not reachable/busy etc> to voicemail and record?
3> Your location pin should keep moving with you. In your case it seems like when you drive fast, the GPRS/EDGE connection is unable to keep up with the data demands to download map data as you move.
Not sure about imap search,as i have disabled imap....was having an issue with many emails and then the phone hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
A few dumb questions coming your way guys, so please bear with me:
1) Does the E71 have some sort of anti-virus protection? I cannot find this on the phone or accompanying CD.

2) Has anyone used advanced call manager. I see it has a voicemail functionality - only thing is that I cannot activate it to take missed calls.

3) Google Maps GPS - When I am driving should the little pin on the map keeo moving, cause mine stays static and then suddenly refreshes after sometime. I am on Airtel Edge and have GPS Sat coverage.

4) Where is a search function for imap email!?

Thanks,
vcash
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 11:46   #63
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Hi Any good sites for software or games or themes for the e71's "uniqus screen". Have tried e71 blog and Pizarro..but only themes and not updated very often.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 11:59   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Hey guys does your E71 hang?

Well in my case the menu dosent come up sometimes, have to switch off and switch on again.

Also once the memory card was not getting detected and had to format it.

What should i do?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 12:48   #65
BHPian
 
ecclipse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 319
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Hi,

I have the intermittent problem of my E-71, which keeps re-booting itself on its own once in 2 days.

This happens when I am searching for a contact in the phonebook, or searching for a old SMS.

Other than this, the phone works great.
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 14:11   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
How is the mapmyindia software going. is it good? Are the maps accurate and more importantly does it work on the new screen orientation?
hi Mav,

The maps seem to be quite accurate though it takes some time to acquire the sattellites. I also notice that if the phone is on the seat, the cursor showing the location is a little behind where you actually are. If you have the phone near the window/ windscreen it is quite accurate.

I am still getting used to the other controls as the user manual is quite basic.

Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 12:35   #67
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hey Guys,
Two small issues with my phone - Wanted to see if anyone else was having these and if there is a fix?

1) When I try and tehter my phone to my laptop using Nokia's one touch internet access through PC suite using bluetooth, sometimes I get an error that the modem is being used by another application. Other times it works flawlessly I am connecting via Airtel through Nokia's drop down menu.

2) When the wireless radio is on (eg. using Joiku spot), the phone heats up very quick and the wireless on the phone shuts down on its own. Is this normal.

vcash
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 14:50   #68
BHPian
 
mac_guy555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 109
Thanked: 32 Times
Thumbs up

Hey vCash,
I am tethering the E71 on my MacBook which had to be configured manually. You have at least the software to do all this work. I have not had any issues like this.
However I can advise you to shut down / exit open applications which use the modem's capabilities ..... for eg. Mail .... Messengers etc etc. You will notice these programs are open when you go into the menu and you see a grey circle on the right hand side. Go into the particular program and exit it. The circle will go away and then try tethering. Hope this helps.
Warm regards,
Adit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hey Guys,
Two small issues with my phone - Wanted to see if anyone else was having these and if there is a fix?

1) When I try and tehter my phone to my laptop using Nokia's one touch internet access through PC suite using bluetooth, sometimes I get an error that the modem is being used by another application. Other times it works flawlessly I am connecting via Airtel through Nokia's drop down menu.

2) When the wireless radio is on (eg. using Joiku spot), the phone heats up very quick and the wireless on the phone shuts down on its own. Is this normal.

vcash
mac_guy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 23:35   #69
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_guy555 View Post
Hey vCash,
I am tethering the E71 on my MacBook which had to be configured manually. You have at least the software to do all this work. I have not had any issues like this.
However I can advise you to shut down / exit open applications which use the modem's capabilities ..... for eg. Mail .... Messengers etc etc. You will notice these programs are open when you go into the menu and you see a grey circle on the right hand side. Go into the particular program and exit it. The circle will go away and then try tethering. Hope this helps.
Warm regards,
Adit.
Thanks Adit,
Not sure what grey circle you are talking about? I did close the Green/Gray ying yang lookalie in the taskbar which I think was outlook sync but that did me no good. I think what is happening is before I can use one touch, other programs in the PC-Suite initiate the bluetooth com port. Is there anyway to disable the SMS program from popping up etc - Could not see anything in settings.

Also, would you be kind enough to post instructions on setting up the connection manually - maybe that will work. I use Airtel, so not sure if I need to call up the operator for specific info.

Thanks,
vcash
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 00:43   #70
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,677
Thanked: 8,704 Times
Default

The talktime and standby time on this phone is superb.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 20:09   #71
BHPian
 
mac_guy555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 109
Thanked: 32 Times
Thumbs up

VCash, I was referring to the grey circle in the mobile's menu. Normally when you have opened a program or a menu in menu it has a grey circle signifying that the program is still open in the background if you have not exited through the menu.
Lets say you were browsing your phones contacts and you were inside someone's menu editing a number and then you press the RED button on the phone to get back to the home screen the communications menu will remain open in the background memory.
So I was suggesting that if you were checking emails or using a messenger program on the E71 then it could be the reason for you getting the error that the modem is being used by some other program.

Also I have the tethering settings for a Mac which is not useful for you since you have the software to do it for you. Hope the above helps you.

Regards,
Adit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Thanks Adit,
Not sure what grey circle you are talking about? I did close the Green/Gray ying yang lookalie in the taskbar which I think was outlook sync but that did me no good. I think what is happening is before I can use one touch, other programs in the PC-Suite initiate the bluetooth com port. Is there anyway to disable the SMS program from popping up etc - Could not see anything in settings.

Also, would you be kind enough to post instructions on setting up the connection manually - maybe that will work. I use Airtel, so not sure if I need to call up the operator for specific info.

Thanks,
vcash
mac_guy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 12:03   #72
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

E71 or Blackberry Bold ? I'm confused. .

I'm using a E51 and would like to shift to a Qwerty layout for the first time.The rest of the features are practically the same.Which one would people suggest so as not to dislike a Qwerty for the rest of my life?.

E90 and others in same design are just too big , i could build a kennel with just one of those bricks , lol.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 12:18   #73
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 629
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

e71 - 20k with bill + warranty
bold - 35k with bill + warranty

if u're going to activate blackberry services then go for bold, if you want to continue with mobile office/gprs go for e71. see blackberry thread for more info on bb services.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 12:33   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 1,898 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
E71 or Blackberry Bold ? .
None !

Wait for the BB Javelin, the Bolds younger brother.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 14:09   #75
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
e71 - 20k with bill + warranty
bold - 35k with bill + warranty

if u're going to activate blackberry services then go for bold, if you want to continue with mobile office/gprs go for e71. see blackberry thread for more info on bb services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
None !

Wait for the BB Javelin, the Bolds younger brother.
eerm , judging by the replies , im guessing that there is no added advantage that one gives over the other in the qwerty "usability". In which case the E71 wins?
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting Nokia E71 to Kenwood KDC-X8016BT Hummer.Rulez In-Car Entertainment 3 12th June 2010 18:55
Software Dev. Engineer v/s Software Test Engineer DCEite Shifting gears 50 14th April 2008 13:10
Nokia N82 & N95 new software versions released (March/April 08) nishantgandhi Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 9th April 2008 16:54
NOKIA 9300 software Upgrade. zulfikar Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th February 2006 14:03
nokia 7610 v/s nokia 6600 normally_crazy Shifting gears 2 21st August 2004 18:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks