Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 12th September 2008, 19:00   #16
BHPian

Hey MC,

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but didnt want to start a new thread for a small query similar to yours.

Im moving to the uk next week for a year or so and would like to know that if I purchase an N96 from here, would it work in the uk, or would the 96 sold in uk be different from the one sold here. I need to buy a new phone anyways to replace my ageing N80. So from IND or UK???

Last edited by funkydevil : 12th September 2008 at 19:02.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Certain cons are here to sell in US for no US model:
1. Same charger will not work, (so only indian might be interested).

I have been using my N95 in US with Indian charger without any problem. The charger is multivoltage.

2. US phones has different software which keep phone numbers in contact as per US standard like 999-999-9999, which will not work in Indian phones.

Again this is not a problem the phone works well with US format phone numbers.

3.Generally even Phone companies too sell somewhat different models in US.

But why don't you yourself use this there, buy some cheap package with startup phone and use your phone in place of that. Man you bought this because you like it now you want to sell this in hurry

I have been using my N95 in US with Indian charger without any problem. The charger is multivoltage.

2. US phones has different software which keep phone numbers in contact as per US standard like 999-999-9999, which will not work in Indian phones.

Again this is not a problem the phone works well with US format phone numbers.
rohitrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:07   #18
BHPian

@funkydevil

IF you haven't purchased the phone yet, I wouldn't buy from India. (I used to live in the UK).
Positives and Negatives:
Indian version might be cheaper than UK(?)
You get Indian charger rather than UK charger (no biggie as you can easily find UK chargers or adapters, but it adds to cost).
You get Indian language pack, might be useful depending on what languages come in Indian version, UK version will only have European languages (again this can all be changed with the right research).

Biggest point is that Indian version will have NO warranty in UK. UK handset will have two year European warranty.

Hope these points help you decide, but me personally, if I was going to UK for at least a year, I would buy there.
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post

No problem in either case. Just buy a 50 Rs plug adapter. So that you can plud Indian adapter in US sockets. Adapter works fine on 110 volts.

No issues with number format either.

This is what you should do:

1. Keep this phone with you in US
2. Buy a "pay as you go" SIM from T-Mobile or other provider. Its like pre-paid SIM in India. YOu can buy it after landing there are buy it off Ebay while in India.
3. Buy a 1 year contract (without handset) once you get time to compare plans. Companies will give you ~5$ discount per month for this.

This is what I do in UK/US most of time.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Lightbulb use it - don't sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
How is the acceptance of unlocked phones in the US? Specially the ones not bought in the US in the first place?
You can use your phone in the U.S. - no issues.
In addition, you may get a free phone when you sign up for a contract with a mobile phone company.

Sell the free phone off and use your own. No worries.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

go for the cheapest phone with money back (you can get upto 150$). keep the cheap phone as backup. continue to use your nokia.

unlock and sell/keep the new phone once you return to india.

just ensure N-95 supports US frequencies (850/1900 as opposed to 900/1800 in india) else it will be a little noisy.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 21:27   #22
BHPian

Checked the price of N95 8GB today it's available brandnew for 24,200 in cochin
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 02:27   #23
BHPian

You can use your own phone -n95 in the state, i've used a 6110 years ago, though it only worked on AT&T and Tmobile. did not work on Cingular (not multiband).

Also worked to receive radio at Amsterdam Airport.

Do take the phone to the states, its a nice phone and you will be amazed at for using such a phone, honest, very few americans do generally see nokia around, all I saw was motorola the flip phone models. This was 2004, things may have changed.

Use it, save the money.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 11:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
... So I would need an American charger for the phone. Is there some other electrical adapter that I would need to prevent the phone from blowing up or something? ...
Read the fine print on the charger unit, Mayank. It is capable of being used on the 110V lines in US. The only thing you need is a socket converter that converts the 2 round pins of the India / EU plug to 2 flat pins needed in US. We get the reverse (flat to round) converter in India for Rs.20, when we get a cable with a plug meant for US.

Check in SP Lane, you might get the one I described for around the same price. Otherwise, buy a universal converter - you should be able to get that in the Bangalore malls for about 500/-. Check in the travel accessories rack (the one that has passport pouches and stuff like that).

Do take the phone to US and show-off. Most people there use phones that may look attractive but are low on features.

Last edited by DerAlte : 13th September 2008 at 12:03.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 13:36   #25
BHPian

deralte.. The fine print on the charger unit reads ac 100 - 240v, 50- 60hz, 180 mA . Output dc 5v, 800 mA.
MC Mayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 14:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

It will work in US, which is 110V, as long as you have the adapter to suit the 2 flat pin socket used in US.

Last edited by DerAlte : 13th September 2008 at 14:31.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 16:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It will work in US, which is 110V, as long as you have the adapter to suit the 2 flat pin socket used in US.
which is available here in Bangalore for under 50 bucks
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 18:23   #28
BHPian

Thanks people..not a single post advising to sell! its rekindled my love for the n95 8gig.. So this means I just buy an adapter and use the phone there without any hassles. Two questions:
1. I am thinking of going crazy on 3g once I get there.. What do you guys think of the AT&T voice+data plans which cost about USD 55
2. Any idea on what I should do with navigation? What are the costs like? I have not yet activated the 3 month navigation here in India.. Any tips and tricks?
MC Mayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 21:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

I was on cingular/AT&T and had to switch back to T-mobile because of coverage issues.

they claim fewer dropped calls, but they will drop only when they connect na

on GSM networks, as far as I know, Tmobile has the best network. overall verizon is best but it's on CDMA.

for less than 100 bucks you can get a standalone navigation unit which will be more practical. you can sell it when you leave. only in India innovative solutions like GPS on phone are worth the effort IMHO.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 13th September 2008 at 21:30.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 08:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, It is not as if T-mobile has the best coverage all over US. In some areas, they may be better, in some others AT&T gives better coverage. It pays to compare signals in the area that you use your phone(among your friends, say), before you decide on the provider.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote