Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th September 2008, 21:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

windows never ceases to amuse me.

can somebody tell me what is the difference between running sidebar in the batch file (start /d..... sidebar.exe) and running it thru run panel (windows key + R).

in first case it loads default gadgets while in second case it runs the ones i have collected from internet and installed.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 13:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

When you're running it through the command line, you're opening it from its original location (Program Files I assume, haven't tried out Vista extensively) in which case it's just loading its default set of widgets.

When you're running it through the run panel, Windows searches in the folders specified in its PATH variable (WIN + Pause key > Advanced > Environment Variables > System Variables > PATH) for a shortcut/exe of Sidebar. Check the contents of those folders for a shortcut to Sidebar. It's going to be a shortcut with some parameters supplied to it which runs Sidebar + your preset widgets. Copy over those parameters into your batch file and try running it that way, should be it.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote