Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th February 2010, 18:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

How old is your laptop? Mine is over 2.5 years old, and till last week I could have used it as a hotplate!! Its was its exhaust fan were always on stuck on high.

So I did a little DIY. I took out the heatsink, and cleaned it properly. The fins were filthy with dust and had a coating on oil and dirt on them...

After 30 mins of scrubbing with a de greaser and toohbrush, I re fit everything.

15 degree instant drop. In CPU and GPU temps. Fan cant be heard anymore.

Cheers.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

this one is new, and not really hot. but i am concerned that the monitor shows close to 50C when in my old laptop used to say close to 40.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 20:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
But in last few days, i was commented by my manager on why i was running a loud exhaust on my laptop and that got me thinking. I did some research, ran coretemp.exe, and realized at normal load, my comp was running at 55 C and at high loads it was exceeding 60-65 C range. the fan noise was bothering and it got really hot. I am sure it would reduce my processor life.
How old is the laptop. The area between the heat pipes that run from the the processors heat sink to the "exhaust" tend to get clogged up with dirt/hair and other debris over a period of time. This causes the fan to run at higher RPM's because of heat buildup.

The solution is to open up the laptop and clean the clogged area to ensure proper air flow.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote