Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd September 2008, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question How good are the high end mobiles if you buy from ebay/rediffshopping etc?

I was just browsing through the ebay / rediffshopping and indiatimes shopping. Just saw the high end mobiles going at less than market rates. They give one year warranty etc. Was planning to buy one (HTC). But I had the question of reliability, whether the battery will last longer as they have committed, whether the piece they send to us will be original etc.

Need t-bhipans views from gurus on this before I take a step forward.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Look at the reputation of the seller and feedback made by previous customers. Some are power sellers and usually they are good to go with.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

My personal preference will be to get into a brick&wall store if I am going to buy something that:
- is available locally
- costs more than the average buy
- is a product know for bugs / quality issues and so on (under which most of the items will fall, since there will be something or the other wrong!!!)

Online is only if it is something that is hard to get in the local market.

All this is due to the fact that our online marketing is growning and still need to get better. How easy will it be to get a refund or go ahead and do a return in case of any issues?

Take these into consideration to decide on the channel of buying. If still going online - hit one that is reliable (like ebay) and make sure to check their rating, as suggested by Dadu.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I was just browsing through the ebay / rediffshopping and indiatimes shopping. Just saw the high end mobiles going at less than market rates. They give one year warranty etc. Was planning to buy one (HTC). But I had the question of reliability, whether the battery will last longer as they have committed, whether the piece they send to us will be original etc.

Need t-bhipans views from gurus on this before I take a step forward.
All your fears are well founded. These are the very dealers who also sell you cheap chinese cell phones through the grey market. Not advisable to buy from ebay/indiatimes when you get the same across the street.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

From one of my personal experience, you do get a refund but it takes time upto 2-3 weeks for it to reflect back in your CC.

Incase of reputed sellers, you get a replacement too, if you get a faulty product, again from personal experience. Their reputation is quite precious for them and they will do anything to not get a negative feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
All this is due to the fact that our online marketing is growning and still need to get better. How easy will it be to get a refund or go ahead and do a return in case of any issues?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:50   #6
BHPian

most of the online shops offer warranty, but if you look closer, that would be 'seller warranty' and NOT from manufacture.

So, what is better? a nearby grey market or online shop (with seller warranty and return on your cost )? Mostly online shops sell at higher price than grey market shops.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just check their shipping rates first !! Vendors on indiatimes think we are fools - they try to flog pen drives for Rs 1, but alas the shipping cost is Rs 500 !! LOL As if we are all idiots.

I heard they do it to avoid paying a commission to indiatimes. ebay bans such sellers.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

How cheap are they? if its under 1000 bucks not worth it. Would rather buy one from a good dealer who offers warranty.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

When I was buying N82 2 - 3 months back, I compared prices on Ebay / rediff etc.

To my surprise, it was cheaper at Subhikha/ Vijay Sales/ Mobile Store and other such discount stores (as compared to Ebay and other online shops).
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
...Incase of reputed sellers, you get a replacement too, if you get a faulty product, again from personal experience. Their reputation is quite precious for them and they will do anything to not get a negative feedback.
Yes, this is one big parameter which can be used to evaluate Ebay vendors. And one that is (AFAIK) quite precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...if its under 1000 bucks not worth it. Would rather buy one from a good dealer who offers warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
...To my surprise, it was cheaper at Subhikha/ Vijay Sales/ Mobile Store and other such discount stores (as compared to Ebay and other online shops).
The prefect scenario for not going to buy online but rather from the local available vendor.

But getting back to Snaronikar's questions:
- with reputed sites as Ebay, you can get a better ground for vendor evaluation and hence what they sell.
- quality of product will definitely (w.r.t battery, et la) will depend on your luck. Chances are you might get a great piece, or might not. But this can also happen in your local store. (As I got sold a duplicate battery with my sealed-packed Nokia 6300 when I brought it from UniverCell!!! )
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Will only give my personal experience from Ebay and Indiatimes.

Bid on a wired xbox360 controller to use it with my PC, and won the auction. Seller sent a wireless one, and this was when Microsoft hadn't released that addon to allow wireless controllers on PCs yet. Called him twice, he was clueless about this wired controller. Finally I had to threaten him with negative feedback before he bought a wired controller from elsewhere and exchanged mine, but this cost me extra shipping/handling charges.

About Indiatimes, bought a cheap MP3 player and a Kingston pen drive. Both stopped working within 2-3 months.

Your mileage may vary.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
When I was buying N82 2 - 3 months back, I compared prices on Ebay / rediff etc.

To my surprise, it was cheaper at Subhikha/ Vijay Sales/ Mobile Store and other such discount stores (as compared to Ebay and other online shops).
I had a similar experience. Found Shubhisha the cheapest if paying via cash. For Credit Cards, they charge an extra 2%, which sometimes makes them more expensive than Mobile Store or RPG. Also surprisingly, the smaller retailers are also very competitive in pricing. Found them cheaper than Croma and definitely cheaper than the net.

Another problem online is that very often the seller sells refurbished pieces. Additionally the hassle of fighting for a replacement or missing accessories is not worth it.

IMO, stick with a brick n motor store in India. Makes life easier.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:42   #13
BHPian

One way to find out how realiable the sellers are is to ask them whether you can meet them in person and pay cash.

If they say no, just walk away because it shows they don't have confidence in their product.

If Yes, then it is likely that the product will be genuine. But all in all I would not suggest buying a high end product without actually seeing it in person.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for inputs guys. I have good experience with rediffshopping. I have bought transcend pendrives and they are still working. I have bought a sony digital camcorder (around 4 years back) and it is still working. This was in ebay. Will need to take a call.

But we can continue discussing about the products buying online and the ones bought in stores. ;-)
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 22:23   #15
BHPian

A couple of months ago, for my Logitech Z2300 2.1 speakers, the best Indian store online deal I could find was Rs.8500/-. Got it for Rs.7200/- (B&W) at Lamington Road, Mumbai.

I think a trip to a well known electronics market is worth the effort.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote