Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th November 2008, 15:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

@backseatdriver:

1)
Let us consider only 200GB HDD and this is second hard drive. So I will now be diconnecting SATA and then installing this. When ever I want to use linux I will change the first boot device from BIOS.

1) Partition one where I want installation and mount point is " / ". This is called sdb1. OK ?
Here what must be the extension. ext3 ?
What I mean is that what must be the extension of partition with " / " mount.

2) Partition two where I will be storing data. Mount point is " /home ". This is called sdb2.

3) Partition three which is swap area. I can allocate 10gigs. No mount point is specified. This is called sdb3.

All the three are ext3.

I know I am messed up right now.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 16:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
Let us consider only 200GB HDD and this is second hard drive. So I will now be diconnecting SATA and then installing this. When ever I want to use linux I will change the first boot device from BIOS.
You need not "disconnect" or disable drives. Let linux be on the 2nd sata disk. Put grub on the 2nd disk. Some bios'es, when you hit F10 (or F9) during memory test, will give you a boot device selection menu. Use that to select this disk as the first boot device. For time being.

Once you are comfortable with grub, you can install grub in the first disk, and use grub to choose between windows, Ubuntu and Fedora.

Quote:
1) Partition one where I want installation and mount point is " / ". This is called sdb1. OK ?
Here what must be the extension. ext3 ?
What I mean is that what must be the extension of partition with " / " mount.
Partitions do not have extensions. You have a serious misunderstanding here.

You have hard disks, which are divided into partitions. Partitions may be primary or secondary. SInce you have only 3 here, have 3 primary partitions, for ease. I guess they are already specified as "primary" partitions, because you have sdb1, sdb2, and sdb3.

You use tools like fdisk, cfdisk or parted to create partitions. While creating partitions, you have to specify what kind of partition each is - (primary / extended), etc, and what kind of file system it is going to have. This would be in the menu itself.

Once partitioned, you create a filesystem - like "format" in windows. ext3 is a robust file system. So, you can stick to it. You use a command like "mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1". During install process, this is done by the install programme, so you did not know the command required.

YOU DO NOT make a filesystem for the swap partition. If the entire partition is for swap, simply specify it as swap space in the partition editor / install process. The kernel (or some configuration setting) will normally automatically recognise the swap partition and use it.

But all this is done properly at install time, right? ANd install went through correctly, right?

Now, what you need to do is this. Get into the ubuntu's grub shell. (Minimal shell).

Type in the following. Without the numbers.

1. root (hd1,0)
2. kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0
3. initrd /initrd.img
4. boot

Remember that hitting tab after the first couple of characters would autocomplete. So, do something like

ker(tab)<space>/vml(tab)

Once successfully booted into Ubuntu, do the following:-

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
sudo update-grub

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 29th November 2008 at 16:02.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 16:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You need not "disconnect" or disable drives. Let linux be on the 2nd sata disk. Put grub on the 2nd disk. Some bios'es, when you hit F10 (or F9) during memory test, will give you a boot device selection menu. Use that to select this disk as the first boot device. For time being.

Thanks a lot Backseatdriver.
Now when I am trying to install, the installer get everything right but then on the copying file stage at around 22-26% completed, the machine would freeze.

So what is this error ? I think its hardware that is acting up. I had already removed two ram modules and one the transcend is there. This is the third time this is happening. And yes, if I select try ubuntu first before install works fine.

I dont know if its my chipset that is creating troube or what. HDD is fine adn I have tested it with Seatools.

Any idea ?
Old 29th November 2008, 18:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now when I am trying to install, the installer get everything right but then on the copying file stage at around 22-26% completed, the machine would freeze.
Which OS is this? Ubuntu?

Ubuntu / Debian has alternate consoles where you can trouble shoot. Ctl+alt+F2 would give you a command line. Here, typing "dmesg" or looking at the various files in /var/log/ would help. May be, some file named "installer" / "installlog" would be there.

Quote:
So what is this error ? I think its hardware that is acting up. I had already removed two ram modules and one the transcend is there. This is the third time this is happening. And yes, if I select try ubuntu first before install works fine.
Are you using the same CD drive for these installs? Can you repeat with the other CD drive? I have had problems with the IDE driver chipset on a Kobian mobo. Of all the hardware!!! (means - this is such a common and cheapo hardware, and still things went wrong).

You can try adding ide=nodma in grub's "kernel" line, after /vmlinux.

Before all that, are you sure that the CD you are using is good? Can you check up which file is being copies / accessed at the time failure occurs, and check if that file can be accessed from another OS? Sometimes, can happen with the ISO writing process. Do an md5 sum of the ISO, and the CD.
Old 29th November 2008, 18:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

if its gets stuck midway, probably a CD drive/CD media problem. I'm surprised why you didnt think of that so far.

I think there is an option, "check CD for defects"
try doing that
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 20:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1)Which OS is this? Ubuntu?

Ubuntu / Debian has alternate consoles where you can trouble shoot. Ctl+alt+F2 would give you a command line. Here, typing "dmesg" or looking at the various files in /var/log/ would help. May be, some file named "installer" / "installlog" would be there.

2) Are you using the same CD drive for these installs? Can you repeat with the other CD drive? I have had problems with the IDE driver chipset on a Kobian mobo. Of all the hardware!!! (means - this is such a common and cheapo hardware, and still things went wrong).

3) You can try adding ide=nodma in grub's "kernel" line, after /vmlinux.

Before all that, are you sure that the CD you are using is good? Can you check up which file is being copies / accessed at the time failure occurs, and check if that file can be accessed from another OS? Sometimes, can happen with the ISO writing process. Do an md5 sum of the ISO, and the CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if its gets stuck midway, probably a CD drive/CD media problem. I'm surprised why you didnt think of that so far.

I think there is an option, "check CD for defects"
try doing that
@greenhorn and backseatdriver: First of all, thanks for the help offered.

@ greenhorn. This was my biggest fear. But it is not so.
The same SATA LG DVD player manages to install Windows XP, manages to install Vista home basic, but I am not able to install Ubuntu, Fedora and Server 2008 ( that is almost the same kernel as Vista ). That's why still I am not able to digest why it creates problem for these three where as XP and Vista fly through it.
I checked CD for defects, but it was not defective. Infact the CD I am using of Ubuntu is shipped by Ubuntu through Shippit ( my download speed is 10-15 kbps ). So no isseues with CD atleast.
Again your point is valid, so again will try but the surprising thing is this:
My samsung IDE dvd player and SATA LG DVD player, both of them are not able to install server 2008, Ubuntu and Fedoara where as both wont create problems with XP and Vista.

The other thing is that the installation will stop at one and the same location again and again like I mentioned between 22-26% copying files is completed.

@Backseatdriver:
1) Ubuntu 8.04. CD is directly from Ubuntu.

2) Yes, the SATA LG DVD player.

3) The CD is directly from Ubuntu, so I suppose no writing error.

@backseatdrive, greenhorn:
From my above explanation that XP and Vista manage to install but these dont, do you guys believe that DVD player is still the culprit ?

I am on 1GB Transcend module so RAM issues are not there.
Any further possibilities ?
I am badly struck now. My SATA LG DVD player is not even one year old.
Old 29th November 2008, 20:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

There should no problem with the drive itself. Once the install goes through, using the existing H/W ought to be a breeze. My suspicion is that at some stage during the install process, some kernel modules are being unloaded / removed from the kernel. Cant say unless you do "ctl+alt+F2" , and revert with output of dmesg and / or other logs.
The Installation kernel and system is very different from

Is there an "advanced" "minimal", etc option available when the installation is beginning? If so, please try using that. It will give you an CLI install. Use the CD to install other packages.

I think you are getting stuck at the stage when the installer unmounts unnecessary kernel modules / drivers. So, you will do well to pass the nodma or noacpi options during boot from the CD itself.
Old 29th November 2008, 22:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yes there is one " Advanced " button when it is finally confirming for installation. But it does not lead to CLI where I can pass commands. It is not coming at the begenning. In fact the CLI only comes when once it is installed.
But now even installation is not going through.

I dont know why, but even P45 chipset wont create trouble, then why my mobo is doing issues. I am sure that my DVD players are OK. Casue I managed to install XP and its drivers from the same players.

IMO, this can be pinpointed to hardware error that happens to be my mobo.
Am I right ?

Is there any other solution to this ?

When I am getting stuck , the mouse or keyboard wont respond. The machine would just freeze. I have to reboot then.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th November 2008 at 22:41. Reason: Adding more information.
Old 30th November 2008, 08:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes there is one " Advanced " button when it is finally confirming for installation. But it does not lead to CLI where I can pass commands.
As soon as boot process begins from the CD, there will be a prompt saying "boot:" before those messages come up. It is here that you have to type in something like "linux noacpi" or "linux pci=nodma". Hit F1 as soon as the "boot" comes up, and you will get a help menu where common boot parameters are explained. My guess is that simply turning off direct memory access (nodma) will fix your problem, but slow down the install process a bit.

The "boot" prompt from the cd - it is nothing but the grub menu. So, what goes in the grub's "minimal command line" will go in here also. Repeat - hit F1 here before you do anything, to get the exact terminology.

Now that you are at it, please follow these instructions, to the extent possible.

1. Check the cd for errors - boot from the CD, and there is an option; I do not have a cd of this version of Ubuntu and given my bandwidth, it will take me at least 2 days for it.
2. Do a clean install - partition your hard disk again, and recreate the file system. (it is sometimes called "initialising" the file system.

3. Have an additional 15 gig /var partition. Do something like this

a. sdb1 - Some large space - for /
b. sdb2 - 10 gig or so - for /var (log files go in here - so that the entire system will not choke if /var if some error spews huge log files - so better to put /var on a separate partition).
c. sdb3 - for swap space - 6 gigs - maximum
d. sdb4 - /home

All these could be primary partitions.

I suggest you get some small bootable CD distro like damnsmall linux and do the partitioning thing from here. Next, while installing from Ubuntu CD, you just use the "use this partition for X" or some similar option available.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th November 2008 at 08:36.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

@backseatdriver:
Thanks for all the help offered. I really appreciate this.

I am not tired of this because my exams are there on 8th Dec, so now I wont be spending much time again installing these OS. Yesterday I even tried Ubuntu 7.XX, but it also failed.

However, when there will be need, I will again post here or PM you. I hope you dont mind this.
A question right now are :
1) I have access to P3 815 chipset board and processor. Will it run Fedora 10 or Ubuntu versions ?

2) How is fedora 10 ? I heard there are more improvements to kernel.
Old 30th November 2008, 11:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, dunno - for both the questions. I used the 810 chipset board before the current MSI neo V2 with VIA chipset. And more than distro X or Y, what counts is the actual version of the particular application, libraries (libc6) against which they are compiled, and build time and install/ run time configuration.

Choose your distro for easo of upgrade and install in THAT order. Debian wins hands down on both counts. That is why I switched to Debian. But debian gave me prob lems you are facing at install time, so I used Ubuntu minimal install, and then changed to Debian for a full install through the internet. That was 2 days or so of downloads back then. It helped that I have been using Debian from 2000.

So, before next time you attempt install, please read on (1) the grub manual I mentioned earlier. (2) the linux FileSystem Hierarchy standard (google for it - FHS or something).

And remember to get couple of sheets of blank paper and write down the following 1. the hard disks - which disk is connected to which port on the MoBo etc. (2) The partitions on the HDDs. (3) as you proceed, write down what you did, and what the screeen said BEFORE and AFTER you did something.

And in case of hangups once the install process begins, remember to try to get more info from a console, which can be opened by hitting the "Ctl+ALT+F2" buttons. Also, please try a live CD - like Knoppix or Ubuntu's live CD - or even DamnSmallLinux to get a hang of things. (there are plenty of small and not-so small live linux CDs out there)
Old 30th November 2008, 19:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I will follow those and hope that I manage to do this.
I am planning to install tomorrow morning for one last time ( my first last time was a couple of days back ).
Will follow the facts and read grub manual.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:14   #58
BHPian

nice to see linux users here
rahul18348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 15:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to install tomorrow morning for one last time ( my first last time was a couple of days back
I repeated the "last time Install" at least a score and more times. It is worth the effort.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 1st December 2008 at 15:23.
Old 1st December 2008, 20:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I repeated the "last time Install" at least a score and more times. It is worth the effort.
Today my Reliance WiMax dish was changed and I managed to regain my internet connection.
Now this is what the problem is:
As soon as I disconnected ( the reason to this I will provide later ) the 250GB SATA windows drive and connected the 200GB IDE drive for linux and put in Ubuntu CD, I heard some " small pin being released from its position " noise from my case and then I noticed that the once the noise came, the HDD light flickered. The noise came around 15-20 times and the flickering in that specific order happened in the same sequence. Very noticable.
So its my HDD. I wonder about efficiency of Sea Tools.

The reason why I disconnected the Windows Drive : Earlier when I had left the drive connected, and while installing I specified 200GB HDD, even then the Windows drive was the one to take installation. I discovered this when Ubuntu did not work and so I disonnected the 200GB drive and tried to work in Windows.

So its HDD and not mobo, RAM or DVD player as per my initial analysis.
However, I wonder why Server 2008 is not being installed in my 250 GB HDD and it also freezes at the same point.