Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 31st October 2008, 00:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile The Ubuntu Linux Thread

Guys ,Popular Linux Distribution Ubuntu got their latest Release available :
8.10 Interpid Ibex.
NEWS:
Quote:
Ubuntu 8.10 Released
posted by Thom Holwerda on Thu 30th Oct 2008 15:28 UTC, submitted by M-Saunders

Bang on target, the new version of Ubuntu Linux is available for our downloading pleasure. Amongst various changes it sports updates to the installer, improved networking, and a new 'Mobile USB' version geared towards the blossoming netbook market. Grab a copy from the Ubuntu website, and check out Linux Format's hands-on look. Or the one at Simple Thoughts. Or the one at PolishLinux. And probably a few other websites as well.

Ubuntu 8.10, also known as Intrepid Ibex, comes - as usual - with the latest versions of all popular open source software packages, such as Linux kernel version 2.6.27 (which has the new Atheros driver, improved webcam support, and support for the UBFIS file system, among other things), GNOME 2.24 (with its associated improvements), and X.org 7.4.
X.org 7.4 delivers improved hotplugging for input devices, welcomed by many desktop users. Ubuntu 8.10 also packs Network Manager 0.7, which brings support for 3G and PPPoE connections. Another notable improvement is Dynamic Kernel Module Support, a framework originating from Dell that magically recompiles kernel modules when the kernel has been updated.

Some things didn't make the cut, such as OpenOffice 3.0, Mono 2.0, and Python 2.6. Empathy, which normally comes with GNOME 2.24, also isn't included; the Ubuntu team decided to stick with Pidgin for now, with Empathy making its debut in the next Ubuntu release.
More information can be found in the release notes. As always, Kubuntu and the other variants also saw new releases. Kubuntu ships with KDE 4.1.2.

Ubuntu 8.10 Released

You can download it from here:
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Release Notes:
8.10 Release Notes | Ubuntu

Howto's and Help:
Ubuntu Forums
FAQ :
Ubuntu:Hardy -
For those who are new to or yet to hear what GNU/Linux and Free Open Source Software :
get GNU/Linux!
We welcome you to 'Make The Move'

and if you wish ,you can order Ubuntu CD's to your home for free!(ofcourse ,those who are bandwidth starved should only use this!)
http://shipit.ubuntu.com
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 19:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

guess people here dont know much about GNU/Linux operating system?
yesterday ,I upgraded to latest version "ibex" via internet effortlessly!.
Old 6th November 2008, 23:47   #3
BHPian

I, too, upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10. There was absolutely no trouble upgrading. Takes only a few minutes. I liked the option of creating a USB startup disk. I have created one using a 2 GB pen drive, so that I can use Ubuntu even in my office.
rrs1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 03:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

and for all ,
Ubuntu:Intrepid -
^will be very Helpful.
and below is my /etc/apt/sources.list file.Hope someone will benefit.
general pastebin - Intrepid Ibex sources.list - post number 1247309

I hope intermediate GNU/Linux users know how to edit that file.
For newbies ,
press ALT+F2 to get run dialogue.inside ,type
[code]gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list[/code]
^Enter the new lines I have in above sources.list I gave.that's it.Press CTRL+S or save to exit. oh! and when prompted for password ,give your login password.
and do a ,
Quote:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
I hope it helps.remember GNU/Linux is very much a superior Operating System considering M$ window$ and OS X etc.agreed ,OS X also is a fork of FreeBSD and is quiet stable.but for userfriendliness ,apple made it a little vulnerable by giving too much suid bits enabled.

Last edited by deepclutch : 7th November 2008 at 03:19.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
guess people here dont know much about GNU/Linux operating system?
I dont know, but I am confortable using Fedora. It is much heavier,but better. Stability issues rarely come up in Ubuntu or Fedora.

Quote:
remember GNU/Linux is very much a superior Operating System considering M$ window$ and OS X etc.agreed ,OS X also is a fork of FreeBSD and is quiet stable.but for userfriendliness ,apple made it a little vulnerable by giving too much suid bits enabled.
The underpinnings of MAC OS is Unix. And that is why it is stable.

What is the hardware you have. I am finding issues making my machine dual boot on one hard drive. Here I am having XP and I want to have Ubuntu in same HDD. The other HDD is reserved for Fedora.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

downloading the alternate install CD now ( have 8.04, planning to upgrade)
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Default Persistent Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs1951 View Post
I, too, upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10. There was absolutely no trouble upgrading. Takes only a few minutes. I liked the option of creating a USB startup disk. I have created one using a 2 GB pen drive, so that I can use Ubuntu even in my office.
Hi, I too created a 2GB USB startup drive. I'm able to successfully launch ubuntu from the USB. But however, when I make any changes, the changes are not saved and the USB drive becomes corrupt. For example, say I change the Wall Paper and shut down Ubuntu, it shuts down perfectly. But after that, I'm not able to boot from the USB pen drive. It shows up the Ubuntu start up screen and hangs there for ever. Do you face this problem as well? I use SanDisk cruzer micro 2GB.

Regards!
nithi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 14:16   #8

personally, I have found mandriva to be superior to ubuntu. the new release mandriva 2009 is really v.good. 2.6.27 kernel, kde 4, pulseaudio - very good.
surfatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I dont know, but I am confortable using Fedora. It is much heavier,but better. Stability issues rarely come up in Ubuntu or Fedora.

The underpinnings of MAC OS is Unix. And that is why it is stable.

What is the hardware you have. I am finding issues making my machine dual boot on one hard drive. Here I am having XP and I want to have Ubuntu in same HDD. The other HDD is reserved for Fedora.
well ,it is FreeBSD etc which are actually cannot be called *NIX because UNIX is a trademark of The Open Group - Making Standards Work (The UNIX System, UNIX System ) .OS X paid them the royalty to carry UNIX trademark.
But dont call OS X as stable as openbsd or Freebsd or even Debian/Slackware GNU/Linux basic version.

well ,my Debian Sid GNU/Linux is residing here for almost 2 years.
For Ubuntu ,I upgraded gutsy online.

My HW is not that latest and greatest.hence supports it almost full.
Asus p5gc-mx/1333 mobo
c2d 2.4ghz processor
1x2GB ddr-ii 800mhz
nvidia 7300GT 256MB dual dvi out
160+80 = 2 sata hdd's.

I have Debian and Ubuntu on 160GB hdd.I dont use window$.
You can install Ubuntu by booting into any distr you had already installed and use "cfdisk /dev/sdx" or fdisk /dev/sdx where sdx is the hdd you want to partition.
else ,use gparted program or livecd to make a logical partition of size say 10GB and if you wish ,get a seperate /home partition too.

show the ubuntu installer ,the partition you want to install.finish with installing grub.
Now ,Ubuntu will add Windows entry automagically.if else ,post here the output from a terminal "sudo fdisk -l" .
Thats it.

There are thousands of resources when it comes to installing GNU/Linux.beleive me it is much easy.but you must have an idea what partition types are basic.

windows insist on having primary partition ;same way as many other oS like bsds etc are.

if you still find difficult ,post here your hardware info and partition order.
Good Luck!

No other distros can be user friendly and especially package management wise when it comes to debian based distros like mepis,ubuntu ,Debian Sid ,Sidux etc.

Mandriva is a good entry level Linux.

Last edited by deepclutch : 7th November 2008 at 15:04.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

is it advisable to use ubuntu via VMWare and then upgrade it ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

virtual emulation software is not the way.better install on your hdd.with virtual emulation s/w ,they dont have direct rendering etc thus n00b linux users end up thinking "this is linux" hence the propaganda.why not install Ubuntu on h/w and install vmware or other such emu softwares and have window$ run inside ubuntu? no virus,crash etc unlike window$.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Actually what I do is this

1) Create more space when in windows.
2) Put Ubuntu cd in optical drive and then reboot.
3) Go to BIOS, set first boot device as optical drive.
4) The boot up is from CD and eventually Ubuntu comes up.
5) Do all the setting, etc and here Ubuntu automatically knows there is XP and XP also knows about Ubuntu. But when the Ubuntu installation begins, after around 20 %, the PC hangs up and the " num lock " on keyboard starts flickering. KERNAL Panic.

Now what my present set up is:

Processor : AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz.
RAM : 1 X 1GB Transcend DDR2 667 MHz, 2 X 1GB Dynet DDR2 667 MHz.
Motherboard : MSI K9N Neo V3, nVidia 560 mcp.
Graphics Card : nVidia 7300GT, vendor is Point-Of-View 512Mb , no active cooling.
HDD : a) 250 GB SATA Seagate Barracude 7200.10 8 MB buffer.
b) 200 GB IDE Seagate Barracude 7200.10 8 MB buffer.

Now kernel panic wont happen if I am installing Fedora on 200gb HDD.
It only happens if I am planning to dual boot in 250gb HDD with windows.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ deepclutch ... is that you , praka123
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
virtual emulation software is not the way.better install on your hdd.with virtual emulation s/w ,they dont have direct rendering etc thus n00b linux users end up thinking "this is linux" hence the propaganda.why not install Ubuntu on h/w and install vmware or other such emu softwares and have window$ run inside ubuntu? no virus,crash etc unlike window$.
Actually i wanna install it on my laptop. I am using Vista Ultimate currently and have 2 NFTS partitions 20GB (Vista Installation) and 92 GB (My Stuff)

How should i go about it now ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Smile

@aagoswami:
it is a known problem ,afaik.try some kernel parameters like noacpi noirq nolapic and boot.
check what is the error message at the last ?

also ,did you download 64-bit one? also get a CLI installer one(alternate install cd)not the regular GUI one.

and lastly ,check in BIOS to enable hdd "extended mode" from AHCI mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Actually i wanna install it on my laptop. I am using Vista Ultimate currently and have 2 NFTS partitions 20GB (Vista Installation) and 92 GB (My Stuff)

How should i go about it now ?
and Linux too needs partition space.free up your 92GB partition to make a 8-10GB logical partition.thats all needed.when ubuntu installer asks ,show it this new partition.

Last edited by deepclutch : 7th November 2008 at 15:51.