Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd February 2011, 10:39   #181
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Jaggu, EL...I am a little confused. My Galaxy S has also been showing me 3G/H on the device, and I had not asked for an upgrade. I was also earlier on a Rs.98/2GB plan. Now how does this work...will I get billed after 2GB or will the speed get knocked down?
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:42   #182
Senior - BHPian

that is really very sad indeed
but then I can move off with my number intact since number portability is now on!
hence I may do just that. But shall once check with Vodafone as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Vodafone will not be launching 3G services in Karnataka as they did not win the bid and no 3G spectrum was allocated to them. The only way you can get 3G on your phone is by moving to BSNL, Airtel, Aircell, Reliance or Docomo as these are the only companies that have 3G licenses in the Karnataka circle.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:48   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is not true Jaggu. My 2g plan just got transferred to 3g with no extra charges, of course there was no intimation of this, but don't we love it ? Read my previous posts and others' as well, you will understand.
i'm afraid, Jaggu is right. 2G plan doesn't automatically get converted to 3G. they've separate plans for 3G and if you've not subscribed to 3G plan, but using the services, you'll be billed pro-rata basis @ 30p/20kb (or something like that). so you'll end up with a big fat bill at the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Jaggu, EL...I am a little confused. My Galaxy S has also been showing me 3G/H on the device, and I had not asked for an upgrade. I was also earlier on a Rs.98/2GB plan. Now how does this work...will I get billed after 2GB or will the speed get knocked down?
if you're getting 3G speeds but have not opted for it, i suggest you call your operator and tell them you need or don't need 3G explicitly. else they'll charge you for the usage and then you'll not be able to do anything about it.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:41   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i'm afraid, Jaggu is right. 2G plan doesn't automatically get converted to 3G. they've separate plans for 3G and if you've not subscribed to 3G plan, but using the services, you'll be billed pro-rata basis @ 30p/20kb (or something like that). so you'll end up with a big fat bill at the end of the month.
This is if you are using 3G, so switch off the 3G on the handset and continue with 2G and its plan OR subscribe to a 3G plan and enjoy both 3G and 2G.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:56   #185
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Well I called Airtel CC and they said they have automatically upgraded few 'privileged' (bakras?) to 3G, and we will be charged 30p/20kb after 2GB. I asked them to immediately opt me out of 3G and he said it will be done in 4 working hours. He asked me why I wanted to opt out...for which I replied 'ridiculously expensive'. I will wait till better plans are out. The way i thrash GPRS, I will end up paying 5k+ bills for sure on current 3G plans. Bl***y ripoffs !

I also asked if there was any way I could monitor my data usage, for which I got a negative reply. Now if I'm paying 30p/20kb, I want to be able to see my usage someplace. How much does it work out to...some 15 bucks for 1MB !? Airtel is out to flog the Indian public like a dhobhi ghat !! Watch out guys !

Btw Jaggu...I don't think there is a specific option to turn off 3G on my phone. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S.

Last edited by NIP : 3rd February 2011 at 14:04.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:07   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

if you're getting 3G speeds but have not opted for it, i suggest you call your operator and tell them you need or don't need 3G explicitly. else they'll charge you for the usage and then you'll not be able to do anything about it.

Sorry, I was talking about pre paid, post paid is a risk, you never know what you will be billed, so be careful in choosing any plan.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:28   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I called Airtel CC and they said they have automatically upgraded few 'privileged' (bakras?) to 3G, and we will be charged 30p/20kb after 2GB. I asked them to immediately opt me out of 3G and he said it will be done in 4 working hours. He asked me why I wanted to opt out...for which I replied 'ridiculously expensive'. I will wait till better plans are out. The way i thrash GPRS, I will end up paying 5k+ bills for sure on current 3G plans. Bl***y ripoffs !

I also asked if there was any way I could monitor my data usage, for which I got a negative reply. Now if I'm paying 30p/20kb, I want to be able to see my usage someplace. How much does it work out to...some 15 bucks for 1MB !? Airtel is out to flog the Indian public like a dhobhi ghat !! Watch out guys !

Btw Jaggu...I don't think there is a specific option to turn off 3G on my phone. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S.

Install NetCounter by Cyril Jaquier , free from market. It lets you monitor data transfer on your phone over wifi, 3g and edge. Just got it yesterday and seems to work as advertised.

About 2g/3g I think there are a few apps available that let you toggle between them.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:30   #188
BHPian

@NIP - what you can do to stop using 3G is switch the Network Mode from automatic to GSM mode, this i think would stop the 3G usages. I have a Samsung Wave and using 3G.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:32   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Under settings >Wireless & networks>mobile networks>Use only 2g Networks - select the check box. You are done, no more 3g for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Vodafone will not be launching 3G services in Karnataka as they did not win the bid and no 3G spectrum was allocated to them. The only way you can get 3G on your phone is by moving to BSNL, Airtel, Aircell, Reliance or Docomo as these are the only companies that have 3G licenses in the Karnataka circle.
Not sure how true this is but we had some people from Idea who visited our office to sell some corporate connections and according to them, the providers have agreed to share the 3g networks amongst themselves (eg. Karnataka - Idea - No 3G, so they share with Airtel and vice versa in other circles). They said 3g on Idea will be launched on 15th March. They also said that the pricing will be kind of 'cartel'ized and will not come down unless one of the providers decides to ditch the others.

So expect 3g services from Vodafone and other providers too soon in KK.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2011 at 19:02. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:37   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes you can.

Settings->Wireless & Network->Mobile Networks->Network Mode->GSM Only.

Quote:

I also asked if there was any way I could monitor my data usage, for which I got a negative reply. Now if I'm paying 30p/20kb, I want to be able to see my usage someplace.

If this is for the Galaxy S, get a software called 3g Watchdog. Will help you keep tab of monthly GPRS usage.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:52   #191
jp1
BHPian

Some sites wont load in BSNL GPRS (edge/3g)

Anyone having similar problem? Some sites just wont load most of the time, but at times it works
Is it due to DNS? Can the DNS setting on Android can be changed?
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:23   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Something weird is happening with me. When i switch 3G on, even Edge stops working even though the Edge signal is full. I have to switch 3G off in order to get Edge working. Anyone else facing this issue?
Speedtest says "Network Communication Issue"
Anyone else facing this issue?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:30   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Something weird is happening with me. When i switch 3G on, even Edge stops working even though the Edge signal is full. I have to switch 3G off in order to get Edge working. Anyone else facing this issue?
Speedtest says "Network Communication Issue"
Anyone else facing this issue?
Ctrl+Alt+Del

check your settings again. delete the Airtel settings you have; download them once again. recycle the power (reboot) and report back here
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:34   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ctrl+Alt+Del

check your settings again. delete the Airtel settings you have; download them once again. recycle the power (reboot) and report back here
No settings business on IPhone. It had started on its own earlier as well.
I've rebooted my phone N+1 number of times already, with no luck.

EDIT: Seems to be working now. Maybe airtel monitors tbhp as well! hehe. Although, with only two bars of signal strength, the speed is nothing much to write home about. Maybe they will read this post as well and boost the signal strength! *fingers crossed*

Last edited by amitoj : 3rd February 2011 at 17:40.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:05   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Something weird is happening with me. When i switch 3G on, even Edge stops working even though the Edge signal is full.
Happened to me last week in HSR. They are doing something with the towers i guess.

Quote:
No settings business on IPhone. It had started on its own earlier as well.
============
EDIT: Seems to be working now. Maybe airtel monitors tbhp as well! hehe. Although, with only two bars of signal strength, the speed is nothing much to write home about. Maybe they will read this post as well and boost the signal strength! *fingers crossed*
Actually there is settings but they are hidden, what you need to do is connect to iTunes and click on update software. If there are any needed changes it will be automatically updated and you will see the notification in iTunes status bar.

Yes Airtel is still under testing and i think it will take some more time to stabilize the whole network in BLR.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote