Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th August 2011, 16:04   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Guys, anyone has an idea of how to cancel 3G plan on Vodafone ? As of now, I am getting only EDGE on Vodafone, so thinking of trying some other network in few days. I must say Vodafone customer care sucks big time. They dont even have an idea about what they are talking !!
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:11   #392
Senior - BHPian

Recently got an email from Airtel and it states that after looking at my GPRS usage for last 6 months they recommend an upgrade to 3G with monthly INR 100/- with a 100MB download limit. My GPRS has 2gb download limit although i don't use it for any downloads just browsing. Has anyone used this plan or is there a better plan available.

How is the 3G speed of Airtel in Bangalore?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:46   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Recently got an email from Airtel and it states that after looking at my GPRS usage for last 6 months they recommend an upgrade to 3G with monthly INR 100/- with a 100MB download limit. My GPRS has 2gb download limit although i don't use it for any downloads just browsing. Has anyone used this plan or is there a better plan available.

I use a similar plan from Vodafone in Mumbai. Only difference is I pay INR 500 and get 500MB download limit (3G pack), 500 mins local+STD, 500 free SMS (local + national). I was using the 2GB GPRS plan earlier which sounded a lot attractive but the speeds were quite pathetic for heavy downloads.

Airtel might have some plan along these lines.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:32   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Recently got an email from Airtel and it states that after l
=============
How much is the usage? 3G speed is ok in BLR. Next option is 200 rs and 250 MB
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 20:20   #395
BHPian

Guys need some help. I activated 3G 1.25 GB, Rs 675 plan on my post paid Airtel Number. I used some heavy duty stuff yesterday. I created a WiFi hotspot and used that for office use. Now i am really concerned about the amount of data i consumed. Is there a way to check how much i have used?

Edit: Checked the speed using the browser on the laptop. It showed 2.65 mbps download speed. Is that all we can except from 3G? I thought HSDPA was bit more faster!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 25th August 2011 at 20:21.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 20:32   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Guys need some help. I activated 3G 1.25 GB, Rs 675 plan on my post paid Airtel Number. I used some heavy duty stuff yesterday. I created a WiFi hotspot and used that for office use. Now i am really concerned about the amount of data i consumed. Is there a way to check how much i have used?

Edit: Checked the speed using the browser on the laptop. It showed 2.65 mbps download speed. Is that all we can except from 3G? I thought HSDPA was bit more faster!
For my Airtel Prepaid Connection, I check my 3G data usage by dialling *121*11#

Try it!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 21:38   #397
Senior - BHPian

I was searching a way to cancel my 3G service with Vodafone as I have seen only EDGE symbol on my phone so far. Customer care guys told me 4 methods to cancel each time I called up and none of them work anyway.

Tried my own methods like sending SMS of 'CAN 3G' to 111 which returned as "Sorry, you are not allowed to subscribe this request" and another SMS of 'CAN 3G' to 144 to which reply was "Hello, promotion is successfully applied" ! I have no clue what is going on !! Did they all start considering cancellation as a promotion these days !!!!

I got a new SMS few minutes back informing my subscription to 101MB is been doubled to 202MB without any extra charges as a '1 in a million' customer offer, hand picked by the network. This is valid for next 30 days.

Meanwhile, I spoke to 2 of my Airtel die hard friends and both are unhappy with the coverage zones so far. One of them see 3G displayed in his bedroom but EDGE in his kitchen and nothing in the corridor

Last edited by shajufx : 25th August 2011 at 21:39.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 21:56   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Meanwhile, I spoke to 2 of my Airtel die hard friends and both are unhappy with the coverage zones so far. One of them see 3G displayed in his bedroom but EDGE in his kitchen and nothing in the corridor
Are you sure he isn't on Idea?

anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 23:13   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
For my Airtel Prepaid Connection, I check my 3G data usage by dialling *121*11#

Try it!
Thanks. I tried that. It had all the options except 3G data usage status. I, however, checked my un-billed amount. Does Airtel send out periodic updates on 3G usages? I have heard and read many horror stories about Airtel 3G billing errors, so want to keep a hawk eye on my usage.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:22   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I tried that. It had all the options except 3G data usage status. I, however, checked my un-billed amount. Does Airtel send out periodic updates on 3G usages? I have heard and read many horror stories about Airtel 3G billing errors, so want to keep a hawk eye on my usage.
Airtel does not send any periodic update on your 3G usage except that if you are lucky you will get a message alert when you reach 90% of your usage limit. Best way to keep a tab on this is to download data usage app. if you are on Android or iphone 4 from Android market or itunes store respectively. I am not sure about other mobiles though. These apps will certainly make your life easy monitoring the monthly usage. I use Data usage app on my iphone 4. See below:

Data Usage for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

This app. allows me set billing cycle and also monthly data limit. I heard android market has some impressive data usage app. for example: the app will not allow you to use 3G after you cross your monthly limit - that's pretty cool. I am not sure about the name of that app. though. Android users may be able to help you here.
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 23:59   #401
BHPian

Has anybody does any comparison of different 3G plans on offer? I have an airtel 3G plan for 675. This plan give me 1.25GB free per month. Post that i pay 2p/100KB upto 2000 rupees. After that, my speed it downgraded to 20kbps. What about other operators? Which operator offers the best value? BSNL? Tata Docomo? Has anybody done a comparitve study?
Old 29th August 2011, 16:10   #402
Senior - BHPian

Airtel has reduced the monthly quota from 2GB to 1GB for the Rs.98 recharge. To push 3G maybe?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 16:21   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Airtel has reduced the monthly quota from 2GB to 1GB for the Rs.98 recharge. To push 3G maybe?
Is this for prepaid or on postpaid as well?

What happens to the folks who already have the Rs. 98/ 2GB plan activated?
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 16:21   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody does any comparison of different 3G plans on offer? I have an airtel 3G plan for 675. This plan give me 1.25GB free per month. Post that i pay 2p/100KB upto 2000 rupees. After that, my speed it downgraded to 20kbps. What about other operators? Which operator offers the best value? BSNL? Tata Docomo? Has anybody done a comparitve study?
Plan comparison, you mean the transfer limit?
im using the same 675 plan, and it feels ridiculously expensive, especially since after the 1.25 GB, you can transfer upto around 6 GB more at around Rs.100/GB!!
till you hit that 2000 rs limit.

but, ok, for when it works, it works real well.
Especially enjoy it cos my car occupants get to latch onto it with Wifi and exploit it.

So far i have not hit the 1.25 gb limit, though, even once.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:54   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani
Is this for prepaid or on postpaid as well?

What happens to the folks who already have the Rs. 98/ 2GB plan activated?
Prepaid. No idea about postpaid and people already recharged with 98. You can check the mbs remaining to be sure.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote