Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 22nd October 2011, 22:47   #421
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
and 10% discount on f1 tix too!
Although Free woulda been so much more customer centric.

edit:though I don't know what I am so happy about.missed this,and the other discount on tickets,both!!
Ok i got the email with new tariffs for 3G and changed my plan by SMS. Went with 450 Rs 1.2 GB.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd October 2011 at 22:50.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 17:53   #422
BHPian

so i just recharged my airtel pre paid account today for 103 RS to get the 200 MB 3G pack. Much to my dismay, i am not getting the 3G speeds :(. I have a Moto Defy btw. I ran Speedtest and im getting only 36kbps for the download and like 53 kbps for the upload. This is slower than EDGE! . What should i do now? BTW, 3G is enabled on my pre-paid account and it has been for a while now, but up untill now ive been only using the 2G pack.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 18:00   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
so i just recharged my airtel pre paid account today for 103 RS to get the 200 MB 3G pack. Much to my dismay, i am not getting the 3G speeds :(. I have a Moto Defy btw. I ran Speedtest and im getting only 36kbps for the download and like 53 kbps for the upload. This is slower than EDGE! . What should i do now? BTW, 3G is enabled on my pre-paid account and it has been for a while now, but up untill now ive been only using the 2G pack.
whats the signal saying?
e/h/3g?
and have you changed the network preference to WCDMA preferred?

one thing i have seen is indoors i only get edge.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 18:25   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
whats the signal saying?
e/h/3g?
and have you changed the network preference to WCDMA preferred?

one thing i have seen is indoors i only get edge.
yeah ive changed it to 3G preferred (3G only in my phone) and it says "H". I am also indoors.
Old 30th November 2011, 18:31   #425
BHPian

I had similar issue. Rules

1. If you have enabled GPRS RC98 or any other package, at the time of activating 3G you should have <= 50 MB, use *123*11#. My RC98 renewed automatically so I had close 2GB in my mothly quota, so 3G refused to activate. The customer support representative asked me deactivate RC98 and then asked me to wait till it expires.

2. APN settings - need to blank out everything except the APN - airtelgprs.com and fill MCC -404, MNC - 40, this will be different for different cities, not sure whether youreally need this.

3. Even after these didn't get the speed, called customer support and he did something and it started working in 30 mins.
carbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 18:58   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I had similar issue. Rules

1. If you have enabled GPRS RC98 or any other package, at the time of activating 3G you should have <= 50 MB, use *123*11#. My RC98 renewed automatically so I had close 2GB in my mothly quota, so 3G refused to activate. The customer support representative asked me deactivate RC98 and then asked me to wait till it expires.

2. APN settings - need to blank out everything except the APN - airtelgprs.com and fill MCC -404, MNC - 40, this will be different for different cities, not sure whether youreally need this.

3. Even after these didn't get the speed, called customer support and he did something and it started working in 30 mins.
My RC98 GPRS pack expired today, so i went ahead and recharged with the RC108 3G pack. What should i do now?
Old 30th November 2011, 19:52   #427
BANNED

I also subscribed to 3g on my iphone 4s but its giving lower speeds than 2g. The logo on the status bar says 3g but i am getting a download speed of 30 kbps in noida.

What is the issue like? Guys please help.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 22:49   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I also subscribed to 3g on my iphone 4s but its giving lower speeds than 2g. The logo on the status bar says 3g but i am getting a download speed of 30 kbps in noida.

That's strange 3G, works very well in Noida on my Bold 9900 on Vodafone. Perhaps there are some settings that need to be tweaked - check with the operator. My only complaint is that the service is a little stop and start.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 22:57   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

I believe there is no option in the 4S to turn off the 3G option. That is a big drawback. You could have checked if even EDGE gives you the same speeds if you had that option. Since the 4S doesn't have this option, best bet would be to check with the operator. Chances are bright that they wouldn't have a clue.

Were you getting good speeds with 3G on your earlier phone?
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 00:07   #430
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

I believe there is no option in the 4S to turn off the 3G option. That is a big drawback. You could have checked if even EDGE gives you the same speeds if you had that option. Since the 4S doesn't have this option, best bet would be to check with the operator. Chances are bright that they wouldn't have a clue.

Were you getting good speeds with 3G on your earlier phone?
Yea i compared the 3g on my 4s to 2g speed on my dad's 3gs, my speed is half of it. Also if i enable 3g on my dad's phone, he gets optimum speed but i don't.

Operator has no clue regarding changes in settings, but has registered a complaint that they claim will be solved by dec 7. I know it wont. Will go to an airtel shop tomorrow.

Look at this. Its my 3g speed on my iphone 4s.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 1st December 2011 at 00:12.
Old 1st December 2011, 00:20   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Yea i compared the 3g on my 4s to 2g speed on my dad's 3gs, my speed is half of it. Also if i enable 3g on my dad's phone, he gets optimum speed but i don't.

Operator has no clue regarding changes in settings, but has registered a complaint that they claim will be solved by dec 7. I know it wont. Will go to an airtel shop tomorrow.

Look at this. Its my 3g speed on my iphone 4s.
Its the same story for me. I think something is up with Airtel's settings for 3G.
Old 1st December 2011, 00:48   #432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza

Its the same story for me. I think something is up with Airtel's settings for 3G.
Do you also the same problem on an iphone 4s?

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 1st December 2011 at 00:50.
Old 1st December 2011, 00:52   #433
Senior - BHPian

About a year back, when Airtel introduced 3g, i used to get download speeds upto or more than 200kbps, maybe now their 3g network is "congested" with too many users.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 00:57   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Do you also the same problem on an iphone 4s?
i have a Moto Defy, sorry i cant help you with whats going on with your 4s :(. I called Airtel's customer care. Apparently there is a network problem or something in my area and they told me to switch on 3G tommorow morning and try. If it doesnt work, i'll just have to go to an Airtel Relationship Center i guess
Old 1st December 2011, 01:14   #435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza

i have a Moto Defy, sorry i cant help you with whats going on with your 4s :(. I called Airtel's customer care. Apparently there is a network problem or something in my area and they told me to switch on 3G tommorow morning and try. If it doesnt work, i'll just have to go to an Airtel Relationship Center i guess
Please do let me know whatever happens and i will do the same.