Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st June 2012, 15:01   #466
BHPian

Default Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes data will be through Airtel but for a user it will not make a difference coz its all managed well by Voda-Airtel and the softwares. Voice will continue with Vodafone.

Airtel has the best coverage and stable performance right now.
Jaggu, still the point related to voice calls is not clear to me. I use Vodafone 3G in Pune. My phone can hook up to either 3G or 2G tower. So while I am hooked to 3G tower for data services, even the voice calls are routed through that tower only. Using HSPA and EDGE services, I have checked tower locations using google maps and for the same location I was connecting to two different towers. So basically 3G and 2G towers were different.

My understanding is, if I switch on 3G in Bangalore, I'll be connecting to Airtel tower hence the voice calls should ideally come through that tower only.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:05   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
J
My understanding is, if I switch on 3G in Bangalore, I'll be connecting to Airtel tower hence the voice calls should ideally come through that tower only.
Even am not sure how it works but as i mentioned earlier, from a user perspective you cant figure out a difference. Esp since Airtel has better coverage, you will be happier being in their network atleast here in BLR.

Any specific reason why you want to know which tower the phone is hooked on to?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:19   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I have Airtel Mobile Office - which allows me unlimited browsing on Edge for 99 bucks. I think Airtel no longer has this scheme but I have continued using it for years now. I am thinking of moving to 3G. Hows the schemes working out these days? Got a message from Airtel some days back saying they have slashed the rates for 3G by upto 70% or so. I use Twitter and FB regularly and use GMail on phone too. Not sure how much data these eat up.

Any suggestions? Not sure Airtel will allow me to go back to the Mobile Office scheme if I want to come back from 3G.
Not sure if you have a current corporate plan which has this allowed, but AFAIK, Airtel has not got an unlimited 2G/EDGE plan.

I used to have the 98 Rs.- 1GB edge plan till 10 days back. Now I have been using 3G. Its definitely an improvement over the EDGE speeds. My usage is occasionally for google maps and FB, gmail. At home with the Wifi on, I access the android market and youtube.

For this purpose, my 3G plan is quite sufficient. I am on the plan which offers 1GB for 250 per month with a 1000Rs bill cap. FOr an additional Rs.150 per month, I get better speeds, which is ok for me.

Airtel's 3G data usage related rates are lower than the Edge plan. As per the EDGE plan, the charges are 10p /10 kb whereas 3G is priced at 3ps/10kb.

I think they are actively discouraging people from using EDGE and move to 3G.

Last edited by hrman : 1st June 2012 at 15:21.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:23   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Airtel Mobile Office - which allows me unlimited browsing on Edge for 99 bucks. I think Airtel no longer has this scheme but I have continued using it for years now. I am thinking of moving to 3G. Hows the schemes working out these days? Got a message from Airtel some days back saying they have slashed the rates for 3G by upto 70% or so. I use Twitter and FB regularly and use GMail on phone too. Not sure how much data these eat up.

Any suggestions? Not sure Airtel will allow me to go back to the Mobile Office scheme if I want to come back from 3G.
You might want to try this -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2795368 (Atlast! 3G in India)

I did this today and am getting a very good improvement in speeds, though it is not really the kind of 3G speeds one would expect. But much much better than EDGE.

I am getting 20kB/s download and around 180 kBp/s (yes Bytes per second) upload speed with this, still mobile office, 98 Rs per month, 1GB.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:24   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Not sure if you have a current corporate plan which has this allowed, but AFAIK, Airtel has not got an unlimited 2G/EDGE plan.
Should have mentioned - yes, it is a corporate scheme.

Quote:
For this purpose, my 3G plan is quite sufficient. I am on the plan which offers 1GB for 250 per month with a 1000Rs bill cap. FOr an additional Rs.150 per month, I get better speeds, which is ok for me.
Can you tell me the name of the scheme that you are on? Will check it out online.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:33   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Should have mentioned - yes, it is a corporate scheme.

Can you tell me the name of the scheme that you are on? Will check it out online.
Here you go:
3G Tariff Plans, Best 3G Plans, airtel Internet 3G Packs

My plan is the Standard plan-Postpaid which costs 250 Rs. for 1 GB

If you are currently on a 2G unlimited plan, its better to not move to a paid plan, as your higher usage would lead to higher bills. That's when 3G starts looking expensive. If you limit usage to 1GB, then the 3G plan is worth it.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:39   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
But not sure how to turn on 3G only? Is there an option in Android for that or we need an app to do so?

Quote:

If you are currently on a 2G unlimited plan, its better to not move to a paid plan, as your higher usage would lead to higher bills. That's when 3G starts looking expensive. If you limit usage to 1GB, then the 3G plan is worth it.
Thanks for that! Yes, I will keep the limit at 1GB. Don't think it will cross that anyways.
Old 1st June 2012, 15:49   #473
BHPian

Quote:
But not sure how to turn on 3G only? Is there an option in Android for that or we need an app to do so?
that anyways.

Go to Settings>Mobile networks>Network mode> WCDMA. This selects ONLY 3G.

Similarly selecting only GSM will give you 2G only. Default option is GSM/WCDMA.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:55   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any specific reason why you want to know which tower the phone is hooked on to?
Well, to understand the charges applicable. For me, if I buy a Vodafone sim, for 3G, I'll be connecting to Airtel tower, and if the voice calls are routed through that tower, ideally I should be paying roaming charges for incoming / outgoing calls, even if I am in Karnataka circle with sim card of Vodafone Karnataka. I want to know if this is the case.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:59   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go:
3G Tariff Plans, Best 3G Plans, airtel Internet 3G Packs

WHAT?

i get 250MB (500MB for the first three months) for 200/-!! when did this change?

btw, the link is not working. here is the link.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st June 2012 at 16:02.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:04   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Similarly selecting only GSM will give you 2G only. Default option is GSM/WCDMA.
Don't see that option - so did this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2795558 (Atlast! 3G in India)

But when I select WCDMA only, there is no network. Even trying to manually select an operator does not work.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:12   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't see that option - so did this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2795558 (Atlast! 3G in India)

But when I select WCDMA only, there is no network. Even trying to manually select an operator does not work.
After selecting WCDMA, do a reboot of the phone.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:14   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
WHAT?

i get 250MB (500MB for the first three months) for 200/-!! when did this change?

btw, the link is not working. here is the link.
phew! called them up and upgraded to the 250/- 1GB 3G pack!

just last month they didn't have this plan!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:15   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
All I did was to uncheck the "Use only 2G networks" option. I guess now it will be in 3G wherever it is available, if not it will switch to EDGE automatically.
Name:  screenshot1338547197447.png
Views: 241
Size:  95.8 KB

I don't even have any option which shows WCDMA and such technical stuff. Though it is on high speed protocol, the speeds are limited as mentioned by me above.. ~20kB/s downlink but ~180kB/s uplink.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st June 2012 at 16:17.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:19   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Well, to understand the charges applicable. For me, if I buy a Vodafone sim, for 3G, I'll be connecting to Airtel tower, and if the voice calls are routed through that tower, ideally I should be paying roaming charges for incoming / outgoing calls, even if I am in Karnataka circle with sim card of Vodafone Karnataka. I want to know if this is the case.
3G is both voice and data (unlike 4G). So you will be served by the same tower.

For billing, the operator's will have their customized solution. If you want something specific about roaming ask them (it can be done any way they want).

There are lot of operators (like Virgin in some countries) who dont have their own infrastructure and depend on others.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote