Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd January 2009, 14:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Like Other said Reliance first entered in GSM almost 10 years back. But that was in some pockets here & there. This time they have announced to launch the GSM service on the same level as CDMA.

Quote:
watch out!! Tatas too may jump into the GSM foray
Well Tata's left the GSM arena when they left Idea but you never know they may re-renter
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If they make....? Reliance came out with an offer 4 years ago which made calls between all reliance phones free :P
I dont think that was for their GSM network?? The "free" calling between inter-circle Reliance CDMA phones was initially enabled by their Rs. 440 recharge card. (I believe that the value of that card has been changed). Initially it included free calling to their FWPs also... but this was also subsequently removed.
Raccoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 17:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Reliance GSM offers Rs 900 free talk-time
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lesson to be learnt - over protection of "intellectual property", especially through patents in technology can backfire.

This has happened even for FM radio. The "inventor" of FM radio was very protective of his "technology", and the existing "vested" interests in AM boradcasting did their part too, and it took a looooong, loooooong time for FM to find its feet. It took sooooo long that patents had expired by then.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:13   #20
BHPian

Wink Trivia

Did you know that Mukesh Ambani Reliance Group is no longer on Reliance CDMA network at least for 1 year. Partly due to their fear of phone-tapping, but they have wholesale-ly moved to Airtel and other operators wherever possible.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Did you know that Mukesh Ambani Reliance Group is no longer on Reliance CDMA network at least for 1 year. Partly due to their fear of phone-tapping, but they have wholesale-ly moved to Airtel and other operators wherever possible.
Its called cutting your own nose off to spite someone else - in this case, his brother.

I thought that move was rather un-becoming of the head of one of the largest business houses, but hey it takes all sorts!

I know the auditors of Reliance (one of the group companies, anyway) gladly dumped their Reliance numbers once this move became official - else they HAD to carry a Reliance phone because the (R) Company wouldnt accept calls from or make calls to any other number. Hence all suppliers, contractors, consultants and business associates were stuck with Reliance phones that they really didnt rely on.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
watch out!! Tatas too may jump into the GSM foray,though I doubt if it is under the same brand as indicom.
Japan's NTT DoCoMo now holds a stake in their mobile communications business - DoCoMo have their OWN standard which is independent of GSM or CDMA.

It makes sense for them to move to GSM - no point in sticking on as the lone CDMA operator, but who knows what their business model is? Its been pretty muddled so far - they exited from Idea a couple of years after Tata Telecommunications merged with Birla AT&T, then they pushed Indicom hard, tried their hand with Virgin and yet they are not a formidable player in the retail scene though they are a huge force worldwide as a carrier and undersea cable operator.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 17:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its called cutting your own nose off to spite someone else - in this case, his brother.

I thought that move was rather un-becoming of the head of one of the largest business houses, but hey it takes all sorts
Nope not really. Whispers on the street indicated all kind of skulduggery to the extent of RCom cutting access to their treasury servers and major level IT nonsense before this happened.

Thereafter, it seems like a fitting and the only response.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 13:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Japan's NTT DoCoMo now holds a stake in their mobile communications business - DoCoMo have their OWN standard which is independent of GSM or CDMA.

It makes sense for them to move to GSM - no point in sticking on as the lone CDMA operator, but who knows what their business model is? Its been pretty muddled so far
Joined this thread late , DoCoMo is desperate to get in to new markets way
Softbank ( Earlier Vodafone KK) is eating in japan market they need to move out but DoCoMo investment is may not be actually best thing for Tata tel.
DCM is squeezes out the partners , In fact no world wide handset vendor
(Nokia and Samsung Included) wants to serve DocoMo market as it would mean becoming another NEC and PMC.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 13:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Even if your language option is "English" everything is in Hindi and the way the Call Center personnel speak is absolutely rubbish. I have never heard any customer care professional on call asking me - Haan bolo or kaam ho gaya kya? or worse! To be honest, the quality of the people they hire is very bad.
What's wrong in talking the local language?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 18:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Look at poor me. I read devanagari. I write devanagari. I even can touch type - at a fairly fast pace - devanagari.

I cannot not speak Hindi. I understand it - but, no, I cannot speak. I cannot write. I can read.

I am proud to be Indian. But...

If you say that not knowing Hindi is anti-national, I prefer to be known as a non-Indian.

So, I perfectly empathise with somebody who says that all communication from a particular organisation is in Hindi.
Old 7th February 2009, 18:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If you say that not knowing Hindi is anti-national, I prefer to be known as a non-Indian.
Don't put words into my mouth. I didn't say anything about national or anti-national.

Other than that, Amtak is a Bombayite(as per his profile).
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 18:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

carboy is assuming that amtak being mumbaikar should be okay with chalta hai types language - definitely not for you.

Its stupid to have ONE language for *customer support* in a country as ours.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 21:08   #29
BHPian

The problem is not with knowing or not knowing the language. The problem is with attitude of particular CC. If CC offering the customer a choice to choose a particular language, then its their bare courtesy to stick to that language.

Even though i can communicate in Hindi, I wouldn't be happy if I choose English and the CC speaks to me in HINDI.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 21:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Carboy, I will summarise my reply to your following quote in just one sentence.

Quote:
Which local language?

Hope you get it.

And about your later post - I did not intend to put words into your mouth; it is just that I got a bet defensive. I should admit I get a bit defensive when North Indians stare at me for not speaking fluent Hindi. Nowadays, in course of my job, I need to deal with people who speak ony Hindi - here, in Kerala. Sometimes, I wonder, what version of Hindi they are speaking.

Edit:- What I am driving at it, after excluding Hindi, there are several languages in India, each spoken by more English speaking people in the US of A and UK put together.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 7th February 2009 at 21:18.