Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 21:01   #46
BHPian
 
vinayvtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Wow, Dell has delivered an excellent customer experience again
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 21:05   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I own XPS M1330 Laptop, XPS Desktop 420, Dimension All-in-One Desktop, and 30 Dell Vostro Systems. Must say their service is extremely good. Have a couple of issues with the laptop & desktop plus the speaker systems. No questions asked. Part couriered at home address..engineer arrives and does the installation/fitting.

In contrast, at HP, I had an issue with the keyboard with my HP Pavilion laptop (some keys not working)...had to get in a queue and wait for 1 hour. Finally, when my token number came, showed the issue to the engineer, upon which it was agreed that the keyboard will be replaced. I insisted on taking back the HDD with me, since it has confidential data but the tech guys there said that is not possible..they needed the system to boot up and test the new keyboard. Though I pointed out to them that the keyboard can be tested by entering the bios but they refused. I had to take back the laptop, change the HDD to a older one, and then again queue to an hour. Finally they gave me a delivery date of some 1 week, but it took 10 days to get back the laptop.

With Dell, the biggest plus is that everything is done at home and one need not waste time for drop/pickup.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 10:05   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Hi Dell users,
Me too have a dell Note book as well as a dell desk top. So far no problem with both. Now My desk top is not working. I put the service tag number in dell support it tells that it is an invalid number. It is true that it was bought from Malaysia. In this case what can be done. Can any one express your experiences here.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 10:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,748
Thanked: 6,752 Times
Default

If your laptop is after the warranty period, Dell treats you like an untouchable.
I have indeed convinced them that if I had to pay for their expensive mobo, I will, but then too they were like you be on your on kinds.

So the pattern seems to be have the warranty, take extended warranty as much as they offer.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 14:33   #50
BHPian
 
thirst4torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mysore,BLR
Posts: 93
Thanked: Once
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If your laptop is after the warranty period, Dell treats you like an untouchable.
Well, my laptop(studio 14) was 20 days old when the LCD gave up. Since then I have had a horrid time with the dell support guys. First they send a novice to replace the LCD who rips apart the smallest of components of a 20 day old laptop and still is not able to make the LCD work. I ask them for a replacement laptop as there is no way I am going to accept the current one which has been butchered infront of me. I could see the wire routing and all cannot be redone factory like once it is opened. Due to the stupid design of Studio 14, to replace the LCD the complete chassis had be emptied. Not one part was left inside the lappy when the LCD finally came out.

They had agreed to replace the laptop under warranty after an hour of convincing but since then (more than a month now) it has been a different story. Till now the faulty laptop has not been even picked up forget about replacement. Yesterday when I called the customer support the lady there tells me that she is sorry about the situation but it will take another 7 days to pick up the laptop and from there on another month to replace it. That means that the entire process would have taken 2.5 months when I was promised a month.
I seached on the net to get some email ids of dell where I could escalate this but couldn't find any.

If anyone of you have any such contact where I can escalate this please PM me.
Right now I repent buying dell and will have to take legal opinion if they do not respond in a week.

Last edited by thirst4torque : 29th December 2009 at 14:37.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:00   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

^^^
dell is based in bangalore, sad to hear that you are having trouble there. Unlike where i live, its a small two plus the lappy i bought is a 2nd hand and from a fellow tbhp member. Not even in my name.

If you were in north I would have helped you. as i have a direct number of the dell lady from delhi.

Plus when a novice guy comes, you could have filled the remark on the service sheet. They do screen that very seriously.

Oh! on second thought you can email manmeet bhatia regarding your complaint Manmeet underscore Bhatia at Dell dot com.

Even after the problem is sorted out i am getting calls from bangalore, delhi jaipur if i was satisfied. Look who is the lucky one!
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:02   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

to add to that, all your service history are listed on your page at dell.com Just type the service tag number. After every repair they have to update your page about the action taken, time date of repair etc.

I think yours is an exceptional case.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:10   #53
BHPian
 
thirst4torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mysore,BLR
Posts: 93
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^
dell is based in bangalore, sad to hear that you are having trouble there. Unlike where i live, its a small two plus the lappy i bought is a 2nd hand and from a fellow tbhp member. Not even in my name.

If you were in north I would have helped you. as i have a direct number of the dell lady from delhi.

Plus when a novice guy comes, you could have filled the remark on the service sheet. They do screen that very seriously.

Oh! on second thought you can email manmeet bhatia regarding your complaint Manmeet underscore Bhatia at Dell dot com.

Even after the problem is sorted out i am getting calls from bangalore, delhi jaipur if i was satisfied. Look who is the lucky one!
Thanks SirAlec. Well, I have another dell laptop (XPS 13). This one seems to be working fine. As for the remark the guy himself insisted that I fill dissatisfied in the designated place on the service sheet, which I did.
They have not updated the records on the srvice history sheet, I checked that. Although I received an email from them about 20 days back stating to sign some documents and send back as they were required in order to collect the faulty lappy, which was done. Since then, no communication :(

Last edited by thirst4torque : 29th December 2009 at 16:13.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:24   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 502 Times
Default my experience with dell support-US

I have a dell vostro 1500 and vostro 1510.

Bought 1500 2 years back and 1510 a year back.

Experience of 1500 while in warranty:

Within 7 days of receiving the 1500, it won't start at all. no bios, nothing. called dell customer care, told the guy about the problem. he was confused as he didn't had much experience with it. kept me on hold for 2 mins, on returning, told me a new laptop is on the way with free overnight shipping. the next day i got the replacement laptop. send the non working laptop back. no questions asked. hats off once.

8 months down the lane, battery charger won't work, asked for replacement, send without any questions. returned the non working charger. also told him about HOME and DELETE key not pressing properly. send a new keyboard. told me to call once i get it so he can guide me to replace the keyboard. done without any hassles. hats off twice.

Experience with 1500 OUT OF warranty

upgraded from 1 gb to 4gb RAM. asked the dell representative to guide for replacement of RAM. she checked for valid warranty, said its out of warranty. i politely asked her if she could help and she guided me without any further questions. hats off thrice.

Experience of 1510. still in warranty:

a fortnight back, battery life started decreasing as observed by me. previously it use to go easily 3 or 4 hours. but after 10 months use it started diminishing after 1.30 hrs. did a chat with tech representative agreed to send a new battery. on opening the box found battery and new charger. i still have no idea why he sent the new charger. returned the battery. just extended the warranty for 1510 another year. paid $150.
hats off quadraple.

one of the best experiences i have with any customer service. even my friends have similar experience. truly deserves 10 on 10.

sorry for the long post. just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th December 2009 at 16:27.
chevelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:29   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
Thanks SirAlec. Well, I have another dell laptop (XPS 13). This one seems to be working fine. As for the remark the guy himself insisted that I fill dissatisfied in the designated place on the service sheet, which I did.
They have not updated the records on the srvice history sheet, I checked that. Although I received an email from them about 20 days back stating to sign some documents and send back as they were required in order to collect the faulty lappy, which was done. Since then, no communication :(
See if you go through my case. Its a faulty motherboard. Its an extreme case.
He not only bought the motherbiard but also all the parts, pcix socket, power plate, wifi part plus all the cables. So its the lcd, dvd and casing is only old.

Your lappy cannot be that bad than me.

Dell never takes the laptop to its service centre. As there is none except one in bangalore.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:50   #56
BHPian
 
thirst4torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mysore,BLR
Posts: 93
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
See if you go through my case. Its a faulty motherboard. Its an extreme case.
Your lappy cannot be that bad than me.
Well, I am not comparing. Nobody would have accepted to get a 20 day old lappy undergo that much of operation. Believe me each and every part including motherborad was taken out. Studio 14 has a wierd design. To add to it while trying to open the laptop, the bezel (the one that covers the speakers and surrounds the keyboard) broke and there were numerous screw driver marks on the keyboard. Why the hell will anyone accept such things on a brand new laptop. In my case the service was shoddy to say the least.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:58   #57
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Had 3 dells till date ,inlcuding a recent Xps.i always find that it getting way too hot and the parts seems and feel pasticky. so went with a higher end Z series Vaio this time no regrets. while the Xps went dead, service was prompt and maybe better than the sony as it was onsite service. but i think in the first place the laptop should not have gone dead. i belive the 1330 series of xps has overheating problems. Overall stopped recommending dell i'd go with Vaio now any day
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 18:10   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Had 3 dells till date ,inlcuding a recent Xps.i always find that it getting way too hot and the parts seems and feel pasticky. so went with a higher end Z series Vaio this time no regrets. while the Xps went dead, service was prompt and maybe better than the sony as it was onsite service. but i think in the first place the laptop should not have gone dead. i belive the 1330 series of xps has overheating problems. Overall stopped recommending dell i'd go with Vaio now any day
XPS 1330 did have overheating problem due to some fault in the nVidia video card. After around 8 months, the lcd screen will sometimes dim and go blank. Was replaced for me with a new video card. No questions asked.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 00:23   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
XPS 1330 did have overheating problem due to some fault in the nVidia video card. After around 8 months, the lcd screen will sometimes dim and go blank. Was replaced for me with a new video card. No questions asked.
you mean mobo right. as nvidia is etched on mobo.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 01:13   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Dell users,
Me too have a dell Note book as well as a dell desk top. So far no problem with both. Now My desk top is not working. I put the service tag number in dell support it tells that it is an invalid number. It is true that it was bought from Malaysia. In this case what can be done. Can any one express your experiences here.
Hi friends,

There was some mistake in service tag number which I typed, I did putting up the service tag number. It has recognized and it is of 2005 DT. Optiplex 280. Finally they told that they will give an estimate and an engineer will come and suggest the hardware to be bought then I have to order them.They told out of warranty visit the charge is Rs.1500. No matter if it is done it is a wonderful desk top which will serve my grand daughters in Class I and V. After the service I will post the feed back.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Thinkpad charger with Dell laptop carboy Gadgets, Computers & Software 68 2nd October 2013 14:09
How is DELL support in India Samurai Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 15th October 2011 22:49
Help me in pairing my Motorala S9 with Dell studio laptop Fordmanchau Gadgets, Computers & Software 12 14th August 2009 12:24
Dell rumoured to buy Alienware!!!!! devarshi84 Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 6th October 2006 09:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks