Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 15:30   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default advice for shopping in Hong Kong

Will be going to HongKong and China for a few days next week. I want to get some electronics - maybe a Digital SLR (Nikon D40), an LCD or Plasma 42" TV, and some crockery from China. Are prices in HK significantly lower than India?

Any inputs, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, everything welcome.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:51   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 102
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hong Kong is a great place to shop for electronics. prices are significantly lower than the organised market in India and you will get good bargains there and deals. Check out Canon EOS and the Alfa range from Sony - good deals on them when i went in Oct. I was in Causway, but the city was full of shopping malls where you can pick up stuff.

China is crazy - you will be amazed at how real the fake stuff looks - so be careful.

Bargain as much as 70-80% of what they quote on crockery and even electronics, would suggest you keep the electronic shopping for HK.

Language is a big problem in China.
wanderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,965
Thanked: 264 Times
Default

Any LCD TV thats over 26" is apparently being dutied here. Just a headsup .
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 00:45   #4
BHPian
 
zerocritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Any more tips for shopping in HK guys.. I am planning to go in 1st week of March..
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 02:53   #5
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Will be going to HongKong and China for a few days next week. I want to get some electronics - maybe a Digital SLR (Nikon D40), an LCD or Plasma 42" TV, and some crockery from China. Are prices in HK significantly lower than India?

Any inputs, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, everything welcome.
If you land at Mumbai its easy, (read between the words) If you land at Delhi,
Jugaad kar liyo.

42" inch screen LCD wont go unnoticed by any one.

Oh ! Am I presuming a lot ?

Cheers
M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 15:19   #6
BHPian
 
zerocritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Any suggestions on DSLRs?
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 10:15   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

I went to Shenzen and HK last month. After an exhausting week, I am firmly of the opinion that prices in India are fairly comparable for almost anything, ranging from clothes to cameras and electronics. At Shenzen one has to bargain prices for the smallest thing, so that from a quoted 100 Rnb you will finally get it for 35 Rnb. The whole process is very tiring, and after two or three purchases you soon realize it's not worth the trouble. When I came back to Mumbai, I found clothes at the same prices, and without the hassle of haggling, since there were sales at most of the big malls.
Camera prices at JJmehta.com are perhaps five per cent higher than in Hong Kong, and again, I found it not worth the trouble to buy there. The only thing one can pick up is exquisite Chinese crockery and figurines, but again heavy bargaining almost takes the charm off the shopping.

Last edited by filcord : 17th February 2009 at 10:16.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 10:47   #8
BHPian
 
zerocritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I went to Shenzen and HK last month. After an exhausting week, I am firmly of the opinion that prices in India are fairly comparable for almost anything, ranging from clothes to cameras and electronics. At Shenzen one has to bargain prices for the smallest thing, so that from a quoted 100 Rnb you will finally get it for 35 Rnb. The whole process is very tiring, and after two or three purchases you soon realize it's not worth the trouble. When I came back to Mumbai, I found clothes at the same prices, and without the hassle of haggling, since there were sales at most of the big malls.
Camera prices at JJmehta.com are perhaps five per cent higher than in Hong Kong, and again, I found it not worth the trouble to buy there. The only thing one can pick up is exquisite Chinese crockery and figurines, but again heavy bargaining almost takes the charm off the shopping.
Hey thanks for the info.. amd Bargaining!!! my dad loves it.. typical delhite :P !! hope he will have a good time there!!!
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 10:56   #9
BHPian
 
woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I went to HK in Oct, and found the prices of various items - be it electronics, apparel, toys, perfumes, cosmetics etc - were comparable to the prices in India.

Anyways, IMO, in HK, Mongkok market in Kowloon is the best place to buy electronics. Lots of shops. Good deals. Open till late in the night. And is connected by MRT to other parts of the city.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 11:05   #10
BHPian
 
zerocritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I went to HK in Oct, and found the prices of various items - be it electronics, apparel, toys, perfumes, cosmetics etc - were comparable to the prices in India.

Anyways, IMO, in HK, Mongkok market in Kowloon is the best place to buy electronics. Lots of shops. Good deals. Open till late in the night. And is connected by MRT to other parts of the city.
Points noted.. thanks.. apart from shopping what are the places that are "Must Visit". I have plans of going to Macau too. How's the palce? Any suggestions on Hotels too? Both in HK and Macau.

Last edited by zerocritical : 17th February 2009 at 11:06.
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 15:44   #11
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

What is the best way to exchange INR into HK$?

Do we exchange INR to USD here and exchange USD to HK$ there? or do we directly do INR to HK$ here?

My mom is traveling to HK for a couple of days and she will not be able to hunt around for exchanging USD to HK$ there. Are exchange services available at the HK airport? Or should she go somewhere out and exchange it? She needs to take a taxi to the hotel, so she needs HK$ at the airport itself to pay the taxi guy, unless the taxi guy accepts USD.

Please suggest the best and easiest way out. Im really confused, it seems quite tough to source HK$ here and the exchange guys here recommend carrying USD and doing the exchange there.

Advice is much appreciated as she is travelling in less than a week.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 16:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
What is the best way to exchange INR into HK$?

Do we exchange INR to USD here and exchange USD to HK$ there? or do we directly do INR to HK$ here?

My mom is traveling to HK for a couple of days and she will not be able to hunt around for exchanging USD to HK$ there.
Carrying INR and trying to buy HK$ is a lossy proposition.
  • Not many official exchanges accept INR.
  • Those that do, offer a ridiculous rate.
  • Indian businessmen in Hong Kong accept Indian money for exchange, but many make a fuss for 500 rupee notes and such.
The best is to buy USD or Euro from India and carry it to HK. Your mama will be able to find currency exchange booths everywhere, shopping areas, commercial areas, banks and also at the Airport. The rates will be clearly displayed.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 16:30   #13
BHPian
 
zerocritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Carrying INR and trying to buy HK$ is a lossy proposition.
  • Indian businessmen in Hong Kong accept Indian money for exchange, but many make a fuss for 500 rupee notes and such.
The best is to buy USD or Euro from India and carry it to HK. Your mama will be able to find currency exchange booths everywhere, shopping areas, commercial areas, banks and also at the Airport. The rates will be clearly displayed.

USDs can be converted to HK$ easily as many Money Exchange booths are available in almost all the places.

In an emergency, if you need to exchange INR to HK$, best place at Hong Kong would be TSIM TSHA SUI, Nathan road, Kowloon. Thats the place for Indian market there and even shopkeepers accept INRs.

Quote:
[*]Not many official exchanges accept INR.
About this, I have seen almost all Money Exchange booths accept INR but works out a bit expensive..

Last edited by zerocritical : 14th May 2009 at 16:34.
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 16:35   #14
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks a on for the quick response Sam and Zerocritical. So she will carry USD and change it to HK$ as and when it is required.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:31   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,190 Times
Default

Hmmm. Even in recession the USD still rules. Is it not the case for majority countries that you buy the USD and then transfer to local currency?

I see this transfer also as a lose proposition if your buying the dollar if it's at a peak. And, then change to local currency where they keep a cut for change. So essentially 2 cuts
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hong Kong advice? tsk1979 Shifting gears 42 19th July 2016 15:24
Cars in Hong Kong krazyking The International Automotive Scene 17 30th March 2012 08:20
Karan from Hong Kong krazyking Introduce yourself 10 3rd April 2009 18:19
Greetings from Hong Kong chromodoris Introduce yourself 10 12th February 2007 00:41
Sera meet in HONG KONG!! a4_attitude The International Automotive Scene 0 29th October 2005 17:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks