Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th January 2009, 11:27   #196
Senior - BHPian

@fountainheader:-

Quote:
“We have asked our recruitment staff not to poach anybody from Satyam. The company is in the middle of a crisis and people will jump ship,” Infosys Technologies HR, education & research and administration director TV Mohandas Pai told ET. On Wednesday, Infosys had ruled out any possibility of taking over Satyam. “We will not touch such a tainted company,” Infosys founder and non-executive chairman N R Narayana Murthy had said.

A person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named, said that Infosys would refrain from even hiring domain experts or project managers from Satyam. Infosys has even advised staff against entertaining calls from Satyam employees. This development comes as Satyam employees flood search firms and job portals with their resumes.
Translation:-

1. Satyam employees are rats deserting a sinking ship.
2. The company is tainted because the employes had a part.

@bblost:- Phaneesh was dismissed, and now runs his own firm, right? And that is much more famous than infy themselves, right?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:30   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@bblost:- Phaneesh was dismissed, and now runs his own firm, right? And that is much more famous than infy themselves, right?
Are they more famous than Infy? I doubt.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:30   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@fountainheader:-

Translation:-

1. Satyam employees are rats deserting a sinking ship.
2. The company is tainted because the employes had a part.

Company is tainted doesnt really transform to employees being tainted and vice versa. Think Cronje, Azhar, Jadeja for simple examples!

And taking over Satyam because its tainted and recruiting Satyam employees is completely different. Infy fears of a customer-backlash if they takeover Satyam. But what's the point of singling out 53k employees ? Who have something more valuable than money - Knowledge & talent.

EDIT: Phaneesh is now CEO of iGate. Does anyone hear about the name of this company ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:31   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This can also be viewed as a great time for employees to also breakaway and start their own company offering services to clients they are already working for.

Why wait for your account to be lost to Wipro or Infy or TCS and be rendered jobless. If you have the talent and the ability to execute, finding an investor to fund some aspects of your business is not very difficult. Go for it yourself and start new companies to continue the services.

I would think many a team have strong working relationships with their clients and this should be a smooth transition for both clients and service providers.
+53,000 to that.
I hope guys from Satyam read this. Actually everyone reads this.

If life throws you a lemon. make juice.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:35   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+53,000 to that.

Why juice when you can have it with Tequila ?

But think of this scenario.. A & B both are at the same designation, working for the same client and are equally talented. A immediately jumps off into another IT company, while B is fighting hard using DKG's funda. By the time B realises that it might not work, it might be too late. A bachelor guy can afford such risks. Think of guys with car loans/kids and all that. It isnt that simple.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:35   #201
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+53,000 to that.

If I were in Satyam today I wouldn't waste a minute crying over spilt milk. I'd summon a team and go hammer and tongs and retain the business already at hand.

After all there was basic core competence that enabled the company to grow. The fraud does not marginalise the basic strengths of the company. So why waste time. Let there be a hundred companies formed if need be, but all those accounts must be retained.

Fight hard guys. You are talented and you have already delivered. Why not for yourself now.

I can think of many examples of employees in the ad world and IT world setting off and making it big. Why not now?

Last edited by DKG : 9th January 2009 at 11:40.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:42   #202
BHPian

The loquacious Mr.Pai of Infy at work again !

I strongly feel Infy in general & Pai in particular talk / comment much more than what is necessary or relavant.

Mr.Pai has a comment on every subject under the sun & talks as if he has a solution to ever problem of the world.

There is an old proverb , which says it is not right to kick even your adversary , when he is already down.

Infy will certainly not be making friends by rubbing it in to satyam & its employees now.

Disclaimer - Purely my personal opinion based on series of free gyan dispensed by Mr.Pai regularly in the media.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:44   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And infy will not hire people from Satyam - not because they do not want to poach from the company, but because they think the people would be "tainted".
Quote:
I read that article. Nowhere is a mention that employees maybe tainted.
I still think NRN's comments about not touching Satyam employees was totally uncalled for.
Please do not add your own meaning.
The press release or NRN's statement does not suggest employees being tainted.

NRN's statement "...We will not touch such a tainted company..." is in response to whether Infy is considering acquiring Satyam.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:46   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Please do not add your own meaning.
The press release or NRN's statement does not suggest employees being tainted.

NRN's statement "...We will not touch such a tainted company..." is in response to whether Infy is considering acquiring Satyam.
Yes yes! Thats what I meant. "NRN's comments about Satyam being tainted..."
Old 9th January 2009, 11:54   #205
Senior - BHPian

I agree with DKG. The attitude should be that, that Satyamites are not to be blamed and should strengthen thier approach and relationships with clients.
Spinning off as to what best they can do is the call of the hour!!
ROCK ON!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:55   #206
BANNED

Thats why, Infy's CFO Pai took over as HR chief.
That is very smart move. Infosys killed 2 birds with one stone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Mr.Pai has a comment on every subject under the sun & talks as if he has a solution to ever problem of the world.
What about people who have already moved from Satyam to Infosys ? What is Infosys's stand? Are the employees tained only after the fiasco? Or Infosys's holy water purified them?
Quote:
A person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named, said that Infosys would refrain from even hiring domain experts or project managers from Satyam. Infosys has even advised staff against entertaining calls from Satyam employees.

Last edited by diabloo : 9th January 2009 at 12:08.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 12:18   #207
Senior - BHPian

Lets not give credence to people who ask not to be named. People start unwanted rumours by this method.

Saying Satyam is tainted is stating the obvious. I didn't see where NRN said the employees are tainted.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 12:19   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Skimmed from today's newspapers ---

--The "confession" may be nonsense, and any missing cash has gone missing recently.

--Raju disappeared

--Not even a warrant against him, local police saying that no complaint has been made so there is nothing for them.

An comment article in today's Hindu says that India's law is framed to be soft on corporate crime, that this is a legacy from colonial days, and that it is quite likely that nobody will spend any time in prison as a result of this incident.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 12:19   #209
Senior - BHPian

@st7677, thanks for pointing context of NRN's statement out. I missed the context. I do not, in any way, support infy's approach; but remember than even (ex) enron officials had difficulties finding new jobs.

The discussion now going on - about employees taking things into their own hands and floating own firms is certainly a move I would recommend.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 12:41   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess N R Narayana Murthy forgot about his pal Phaneesh Murthy who settled a sexual harassment case out of court! What Mr TV Mohandas Pai (Infosys Technologies HR, education & research and administration director) also needs to realize that at least Satyam did not employee people who are involved in sexual harassment cases!
Guys, I think that went a long way in setting an example in the whole industry. Phaneesh was Infosys director at that point and was one key person responsible in Infosys's meteoric rise.
While hiring NRN didn;t know what Phaneesh would end up doing (no one could have), but once it was known, by immediately firing him he did communicate to all that Infy will not tolerate any compromise on it's values & ethics, even at the top most level, or even by the person who is next most powerful (to him at that point).

Today world market will not judge India by the scam that Satyam did, but it would judge it more by how India reacts to it and what it does to ensure it does not repeat!

Last edited by ST7677 : 9th January 2009 at 12:47.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote