Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th April 2010, 11:28   #196
BHPian

Default W7 for 50$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I got and installed Windows 7 from a pal working in Microsoft for $ 50 approx. I am happy with it---it is as fast as XP that was installed on my desktop earlier.
Is this fantastic deal available for fellow BHPians ?
The market rates are 199$
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:01   #197
Senior - BHPian

I just love the employee store of MS! Had got myself Vista Ultimate & Office 2007 Ultimate, when they were released, for a princely sum of $120 from the store!

Each MS employee has a yearly quota for buying from the store, so you will need to know someone who is willing.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:46   #198
BHPian

Got a HP net-book with Windows starter 7. The only con noticed so far is that you cannot change the desktop wallpaper. Rest is smooth. The regulars like Firefox, Acrobat, Media player, IE, Office 2007, Picasaa etc work fine without any hiccups. Wi-Fi is a breeze to set up and I absolutely prefer it to the XP which required slightly more work. So far so good.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 21:55   #199
BHPian

Just installed windows 7. It is pretty fast. I thought it was a bulky os, but it is pretty light. there are so many functions. Will take some time to become accustomed to it though. So far so good, Let us see what it holds in the future.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 23:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The only con noticed so far is that you cannot change the desktop wallpaper.
If you look around, you would figure out how to change that too
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 20:25   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Just installed windows 7. It is pretty fast. I thought it was a bulky os, but it is pretty light. there are so many functions. Will take some time to become accustomed to it though. So far so good, Let us see what it holds in the future.
Do check out this Windows 7 forums for lots of Tips, Tricks and Tutorials.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 00:15   #202
BHPian

Thanks Ponmayilal, definitely needed some tutorial and tricks. I had to install the old xp, since I was having trouble doing my usual work in windows 7. Will take some time to get accustomed to
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 10:24   #203
Senior - BHPian

I have a peculiar problem with my Windows 7. I have it on my Toshiba Dynabook. I have windows 2000, Vista & recently windows 7 too.

If I use battery power everything is perfect in Win7. But the moment I connect the power adapter, it hangs in less than few minutes. Took me long time to isolate this issue.

Now. I have no issues in other OS. But ONLY in win7. Tried all nonsense in the power settings. But no help.

Any help?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 11:18   #204
BHPian

Default Windows 7 for free (legally)

I got my copy of Windows 7 for free and this is the second time in a row, I was part of the technical beta testing program at Microsoft Technet and I was given a complementary copy of Windows Vista in 2007 and Windows 7 in 2009.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

One of the very disappointing things I am finding with Windows 7 is the "Search" option. The search option in Windows 7 is so badly designed - I fail to understand how they came up with such a design. If you want to find a file containing a word "xyz" there simply seems to be no option to do that. I am now looking for a third party "search" software.

Last edited by pjbiju : 3rd May 2010 at 10:22.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 03:25   #206
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. Now that you say it, I remember the number of times I have sweared after running a search!
Old 26th June 2010, 01:34   #207
BHPian

Default Windows 7 unable to boot - logical drives missing !!

Hi,

Something totally wierd and shocking happened with my machine running on Windows 7 today (25-06-10).

This is what happened, everything was working fine till the evening. I was back home from a hard day, started my machine and i saw a message that windows has updates that needs to be downloaded. I check the required updates, there were couple of .net framework and few windows kb series. i assumed them to be normal critical updates and as usual i updated my windows 7.

After successful update windows rebooted and something weird happened. i have 4 drives, 1 primary C: and 3 logical (D,E,F). All of a sudden drives D,E,F were unaccessible. It gave Data Error: Cyclic redundancy <<something>> . And when i tried to right-click and open it, it asked me to format the drive. i thought it could have been something with the update. So i restored backed to my restore point created before the update. After restore the drives were still unaccessible, except the C: i was able to access the C:

I started disk management to see the state of the drives. Surprisingly all the 3 drives showed RAW healthy state. I was shocked as i had all my critical data in those drives. i tried running chkdsk from command prompt on these drives, but it gave the same error.

I then tried putting in the startup disk to boot from cd and check if my data was still there, i rebooted by booting from the startup disk. The screen freezed on a black screen. i removed the cd and rebooted my machine. This time it gave me an options stating start windows normally or repair. I tried to start windows normally, but it failed and just rebooted again. This continued several times. I then went on the option to repair. The repair process just stucked on attempting repair. I rebooted and tried to install windows again. But it said windows cannot be installed on the drive and showed me an unsed 239 GB drive which is my HDD (250GB). Where did my logical drives and the data in it go

i quickly googled around and found this link

i tried the mentioned options from recovery disk i.e running the following commands from the prompt.:
BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
BOOTREC /SCANOS

but all the commands gave a same error "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

i just dont know what to do now ?? All my 12 years career data is in that drive !!

To add to the pain, my external backup drive has been sent to the vendor for RMA, since it had accidentally fallen from my hand and drive was thus unaccessible.

Please help me start my system and retrieve my data
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 02:35   #208
Senior - BHPian

As you have critical data, I suggest that you do not try anything further with the HDD. Remove it, attach it to another, known-to-be-clean computer and see if you are able to access the partitions and recover the data.

If you are not getting anywhere even then, again do not attempt anything but head for a professional data recovery solution - I am suggesting this (and not any DIY steps) only because you have 12 years' work in the drive. Please be aware that professional data recovery services are charged pretty steeply!

On a side note: I do not think this has anything to do with the Windows Updates, I too got 5 or 6 updates last Tuesday / Wednesday and have not had a problem after installing them - I have both x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:15   #209
BHPian

I am not sure but looks like you had a HDD crash. ph03n!x's solution is the best approach.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 12:37   #210
Senior - BHPian

If it is a Seagate HDD indeed it should be a crash; I've experienced three Seagate crashes in 2009; all of them were 250GB's and in three different winXP PCs.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote