Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd August 2010, 11:34   #226
BHPian

To make things easier for you all, I am attaching a preview of what I see when I go to the folders.

Name:  Thumbnail.png
Views: 356
Size:  30.5 KB
Repsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 11:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

I got a new Office laptop with windows 7 installed in it, but it seems it doesn't have any updates installed.

When I try to update, it fails to check for updates. I searched Microsoft downland center and could not find any relevant updates for Windows 7 apart from the security updates for the earlier beta version.

Is it that win7 don't have any important updates so far or Microsoft is not listing them for some reason in their website?

Can any of you win7 users put a screenshot of your update history so far? Thanks in advance!

The update screen shows that my updates are managed by the system administrator but they are not doing anything for Win7 clients at the moment!

Windows 7 anyone?-update.png

Last edited by clevermax : 11th August 2010 at 11:03.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 11:19   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I got a new Office laptop with windows 7 installed in it, but it seems it doesn't have any updates installed.

When I try to update, it fails to check for updates. I searched Microsoft downland center and could not find any relevant updates for Windows 7 apart from the security updates for the earlier beta version.

Is it that win7 don't have any important updates so far or Microsoft is not listing them for some reason in their website?

Can any of you win7 users put a screenshot of your update history so far? Thanks in advance!

The update screen shows that my updates are managed by the system administrator but they are not doing anything for Win7 clients at the moment!

Attachment 403737
Looks like your update settings are not configured properly. Check Change settings, and make Install updates automatically selected. I have more than 50 updates installed in my laptop and desktop (Both running win 7 pro).
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:02   #229
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Looks like your update settings are not configured properly. Check Change settings, and make Install updates automatically selected. I have more than 50 updates installed in my laptop and desktop (Both running win 7 pro).
+1 to that. Me too have more than 50 updates installed.

Go to Control Panel > Windows Update > Change Setting and change according to your requirement. Attaching some screen shots for better understanding.

#1. Click on change settings
Name:  UpdScr01.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  102.4 KB

#2. Choose whatever your preference.
Name:  UpdScr02.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  126.1 KB

Enjoy.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 20:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 403737
Your laptop is configured to receive updates from your corporate's internal update server (read up on WSUS if you want to know more). Click on that link below that that says "Check online for updates" and you should see the updates the rest of us have pointed out. BUT check with your office IT folks if you are allowed to do that, as an internal WSUS server is deployed for your IT folks to test all the updates MS releases and ensure they do not break anything (like a custom software) before rolling it out to all users.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 11:21   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Your laptop is configured to receive updates from your corporate's internal update server (read up on WSUS if you want to know more). Click on that link below that that says "Check online for updates" and you should see the updates the rest of us have pointed out. BUT check with your office IT folks if you are allowed to do that, as an internal WSUS server is deployed for your IT folks to test all the updates MS releases and ensure they do not break anything (like a custom software) before rolling it out to all users.
Thanks ph03n!x. This information was very useful. Yes, I was thinking in the same lines - to check with my system admin first before I update the system myself.

The update settings dialog has all the options disabled for me because the other policy is enforced. I need to either talk to admin or change those policy settings in my registry and update myself

Thanks to Joy & funda2max as well!

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2010 at 11:25.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 14:26   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The update settings dialog has all the options disabled for me because the other policy is enforced. I need to either talk to admin or change those policy settings in my registry and update myself
Not a good idea - you may be "guilty of circumventing IT rules and regulations" of your organization. And if they are doing it through group policies, it will get added to the registry the next time you restart the laptop
Old 14th August 2010, 01:58   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My thoughts all laptop owners- get rid of all non-essential stuff that comes pre-loaded. This includes almost all OEM/ Manufacturer software. They only duplicate something that the OS has (albeit make it a bit easier), and take a toll in terms of performance, and at times stability

Thinking about it, this applies to branded desktops too!
an old post phoenix, but so true. I bought a sony e series with i3 core 2.13 ghz, and 4 gb ram, and have yet to experience any great computing with win 7. Infact i think my xp pro was faster in a lot of things. But as I start disabling the sony bloatware (around 15 programs, some analysing continously), and disable the apple style dock, things are becoming better.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 16:10   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I am now looking for a third party "search" software.
My search ended up with 'Agent Ransack'. You may wanna give it a shot. Does the job quite good.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 08:41   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
an old post phoenix, but so true. I bought a sony e series with i3 core 2.13 ghz, and 4 gb ram, and have yet to experience any great computing with win 7. Infact i think my xp pro was faster in a lot of things. But as I start disabling the sony bloatware (around 15 programs, some analysing continously), and disable the apple style dock, things are becoming better.
Take it a step further- format your laptop, and reinstall just the OS. Install any drivers only if they add functionality (like the Fn keys), or if they do not get detected by the OS automatically (probably some Bluetooth).

And THEN see what Win 7 really is!

EDIT: You quoted a post of mine from about a year ago!!! Whoa, didn't know anyone would have the patience to go that far back in reading forums!!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 18th August 2010 at 08:42.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:23   #236
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday, Microsoft decided that the Win7 in my office laptop was not a original piece. This is, after it has been running for close to 4 months now.

Not sure what the deal was, but I just clicked on continue without activation. The support people were not able to figure out why it came or any issue with the activation.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 15:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Day before yesterday, Microsoft decided that the Win7 in my office laptop was not a original piece. This is, after it has been running for close to 4 months now.

Not sure what the deal was, but I just clicked on continue without activation. The support people were not able to figure out why it came or any issue with the activation.
@ HappyWheels - please do not take this issue lightly, have had the same issue and my Win7 installation became almost unusable right around the time I needed it the most

As you said yours was an office laptop so its quite probable that it has one of the OEM keys that have been blacklisted by MS. Some OEM keys/serials were cracked and made openly available as torrents or warez. I would suggest you to remedy the issue asap coz as per my experience a Win7 install that is detected by MS as not genuine slowly starts to exhibit wierd behavior (random freezes & application crashes) and might even refuse you to logon to the machine.

peace,
~kg
kapilvgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 16:06   #238
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the head-up, Kapil.

Since Infra Structure team (IS) was not able to figure out much, I am going to move all important doc's to my external drive. At least if the machine crashes, I can carry on with another machine and let the IS fight it out.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 20:32   #239
Senior - BHPian

Kind of late to the party. But i picked up Win 7 for the new laptop, and its amazing to say the least. This is seriously Microsoft's fastest and slickest OS yet.

A bootup under 40 seconds in a laptop is just amazing. I know an SSD helps - but still...

cheers M$
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 08:50   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Kind of late to the party. But i picked up Win 7 for the new laptop, and its amazing to say the least. This is seriously Microsoft's fastest and slickest OS yet.

A bootup under 40 seconds in a laptop is just amazing. I know an SSD helps - but still...

cheers M$
Which version (Home/Professional/Ultimate) of Win 7 did you pick?
How much did it cost and where did you pick it up from?

I am looking to get Win 7 Ultimate. Its about Rs. 10,500/-

Any ideas where I can get a better price than Rs. 10,500/-
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote