Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th May 2009, 23:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

I installed W7 today, am happy with it. Seems the guys have picked the best of Vista and plugged it into XP.

Anyhow, what does one do after 1st August?
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 00:05   #62
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I installed W7 today, am happy with it. Seems the guys have picked the best of Vista and plugged it into XP.

Anyhow, what does one do after 1st August?
Yeah, or rather I'd say, simply removed the overheads from vista.

And what about 1st August? If you are talking about the validity of the evaluation version - its March 2010. [provided you activate it using a free key from Microsoft!]
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 00:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Yeah, or rather I'd say, simply removed the overheads from vista.

And what about 1st August? If you are talking about the validity of the evaluation version - its March 2010. [provided you activate it using a free key from Microsoft!]
I thought I read somewhere that it was free till June 2010?

I installed Windows 7 yesterday. Had some minor glitches with my touchpad drivers. The auto scroll feature wouldn't work by default so I had to download the drivers again. Vista drivers seem to work fine here.

I am amazed at the quality of wallpapers here. The desktop didn't look half as good on Vista. Here, it looks superb.

Haven't tried gaming yet. Too lazy to install the games all over again.

Browsing seems to have improved. The pages seem to load faster.

Overall, the package seems good. It's Vista minus the problems and headaches of Vista.

PS: Using the word "seems" since I haven't actually compared exact times between the two.

Last edited by wheeler : 19th May 2009 at 00:37.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 00:58   #64
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
I thought I read somewhere that it was free till June 2010?
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/evalcenter/dd353205(en-us).aspx?ITPID=mscomsl
Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows).
@Manveet - The Beta was to expire on 1st August I think, this is the RC we are talking about here.

Last edited by SLK : 19th May 2009 at 01:00.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:30   #65
BHPian

Hi Guys,
After reading your reviews,I am also tempted to give it a shot. I have started downloading the RC1.

Currently I am using XP on partition C:.
Can I install 7 on another drive ?. I dont want to take chances !!!
I have Acer Laptop, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Core 2 Duo, 1.87 Ghz processor.
Please advice..
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 13:22   #66
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Hi Guys,
Can I install 7 on another drive ?. I dont want to take chances !!!
Of course, I have also put in on some other drive. The primary drive runs the main OS, why would you want to overwrite your main OS with a RC.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Of course, I have also put in on some other drive. The primary drive runs the main OS,
Quote:
Thanks, I will do the same as soon as download the RC
why would you want to overwrite your main OS with a RC.
No No, I also dont want to do it, thats why I asked.

Also tell me I have drivers for my laptop which are compatible with XP, will I face any issues with 7 ? Has anyone tried with Acer Laptop ?
So should I go ahead with XP driver ir should I download drivers which are compatible with Vista ?

Last edited by saurabh159 : 19th May 2009 at 13:34.
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 13:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

The beta expires on June 1. Got a mail from M$ stating the same. What do we do now ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 16:34   #69
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
The beta expires on June 1. Got a mail from M$ stating the same. What do we do now ?
Get hold of Release Candidate

Quote:
No No, I also dont want to do it, thats why I asked.

Also tell me I have drivers for my laptop which are compatible with XP, will I face any issues with 7 ? Has anyone tried with Acer Laptop ?
So should I go ahead with XP driver ir should I download drivers which are compatible with Vista ?
Get Vista drivers, XP might work, but vista drivers are a better option.

Last edited by SLK : 25th May 2009 at 16:43.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all the drivers will be picked up by Windows 7 during setup. And any drivers that got left out get installed with Windows Update - Configure it to let you "choose whether to install" / let you "choose whether to download & install", and look for optional updates.

I got all my drivers by default / through windows update, and i used Vista's drivers for the bluetooth - on a Toshiba laptop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
The same mail gives you option to install the RC
Quote:
IMPORTANT REMINDER ABOUT BETA EXPIRATION DATE

Thanks again for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta.

We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On June 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will send you a notice a couple of weeks in advance, and that’d be the ideal time to rebuild your test PC with a non-expired version of Windows, such as the RC or Windows Vista. This will be a clean installation, so be ready to reinstall your programs and data. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

So, if you haven’t already done so, we highly recommend that you download and install the RC from one of the following sites today:
-
Developers
-
IT Pros/Microsoft Partners
-
Tech Enthusiasts/Consumers

IMPORTANT: If you are running Windows 7 Beta you’ll need to back up your data (preferably on an external device) and then do a clean install of the Windows 7 Release Candidate. After installing Windows 7, you will need to reinstall applications and restore your files. If you need help with the installation process, please see the Installation Instructions.

If you have questions or need help installing the RC, you can get help with your Windows 7 questions at Windows 7 Category

There’s another expiration date you need to keep in mind: Windows 7 RC will expire on June 1, 2010, and you’ll need to either upgrade to the final release of Windows 7 or a prior version of Windows before then. (We‘ll send you another reminder as this date approaches.)

Thanks again for your interest in Windows 7 and for your help in finishing this product!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 25th May 2009 at 16:55.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 05:10   #71
BHPian

Gaming is much better in Win7 than it was in Vista.

In vista, even with all the latest drivers and stuff installed, I never used to get more than 2/3rds of the framerate that I got in XP.

In Win 7, the frame rates are back to normal
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 08:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

I am using Windows 7 on my new set up that was did not digest Vista.
Windows 7 is less memory hungry it seems and uses the resources in more productive manner. One of my pc is on Vista and other is on Windows 7, so I know this for sure.
Windows 7 is something Vista must have been, but its good that right now we have a Windows OS that we can consider genuine replacement for XP.

However, I wish they come up with some facility to disable the stuff I dont want. For example right now we have several themes and wall papers to choose from, which I dont want. Themes is something I never like to install, as I want my PC to be simple and fast. I hope in the final version made commercially available, they come up with this facility of disabling features.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 08:46   #73
BHPian

I no longer install any OS directly (linux, MS etc) - I install it over Virtual Box VirtualBox

Please check it out sometime (if you haven't already)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 08:58   #74
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
However, I wish they come up with some facility to disable the stuff I dont want. For example right now we have several themes and wall papers to choose from, which I dont want. Themes is something I never like to install, as I want my PC to be simple and fast. I hope in the final version made commercially available, they come up with this facility of disabling features.
Oh!, you can do that in all versions of windows. you can disable any thing you want, that has been never a problem with windows.

to get rid of themes completely, try going to administrative tools and then services and disable/stop the themes service.

There are a lot other ways to disable individual features as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I no longer install any OS directly (linux, MS etc) - I install it over Virtual Box VirtualBox

Please check it out sometime (if you haven't already)
How well do the visual effects work on the box?

I use virtual PC 2007 at times, but that is only to experiment with stuff, which would blow the OS off at times

Last edited by SLK : 26th May 2009 at 09:02.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

Windows 7 being released to the public on 22nd October 2009!

Still no news of a free upgrade for Vista shrink packed users! :(
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote