Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 20:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,194
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default Vintage Spool Players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hey, JayD, those are bluewalls!!

And is that period open reel tape deck going into your Landmaster?!
Yeah! i got them custom made to match the colour of my car! But sadly, it'll become white after a wash!

Yepp! that's an Akai spool player. Vintage electronics(Valve radios, spool players, LP's, microphones and even fans!) is another major hobby, and sadly the only place it can go into the landy is the boot!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 21:10   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yepp! that's an Akai spool player. Vintage electronics(Valve radios, spool players, LP's, microphones and even fans!) is another major hobby, and sadly the only place it can go into the landy is the boot!
Next time I'm in Shornur, let me search around for something that might interest you - a Telefunken Spool Player.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 22:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,300
Thanked: 1,494 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Next time I'm in Shornur, let me search around for something that might interest you - a Telefunken Spool Player.
And while you're at it, could you search around for something that might interest me as well - ANY old radio, esp. the ones that came in wooden casings with chrome knobs, "magic eye" lights......
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 22:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,194
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Next time I'm in Shornur, let me search around for something that might interest you - a Telefunken Spool Player.
Wow wow wow!!! That sounds awesome! Lookin forward to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And while you're at it, could you search around for something that might interest me as well - ANY old radio, esp. the ones that came in wooden casings with chrome knobs, "magic eye" lights......
You mean something like THIS:
Vintage Spool Players!-dscn4367.jpg


Vintage Spool Players!-dscn4371.jpg


Or THIS??

Vintage Spool Players!-dscn4373.jpg





The first one is a bush valve from the 40's(?) Zoom into the first pic and u can see the names of all the stations available internationally at that time. Funny thing is that, most f them still work!!

Last edited by JayD : 14th January 2009 at 22:37.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 22:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,300
Thanked: 1,494 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
You mean something like THIS:
The first one is a bush valve from the 40's(?) Zoom into the first pic and u can see the names of all the stations available internationally at that time. Funny thing is that, most f them still work!!
My first preference would be something like the 2nd one (philips) although I'm open to anything that's available! Even if it doesn't work!

I think my grandpa had a radio like the first one (BUSH), from the way I remember my dad describing it. Unfortunately, it remained among some of his furniture in grandpa's house that he had to sell in a haste!

And we had a "TELERAD" ('never seen any others like this..rare?) radio my dad bought in 1971-72. It was long, and the top was a smooth, polished decolum-like surface and had a chrome strip along the edge- it looked simply amazing! 'stopped working almost 20 years ago (in the sense didn't play anything but did turn on when you switched it on) and my parents lost interest in it.
They did have it lying around at home for ages (I used to dust it every now and then!) before my mom gave it away around 5 years ago to some electrician I think, obviously without my knowledge! :(

Oh well, I seem to've got too carried away....!
Enough of the OT I guess!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,194
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
My first preference would be something like the 2nd one (philips) although I'm open to anything that's available! Even if it doesn't work!

I think my grandpa had a radio like the first one (BUSH), from the way I remember my dad describing it. Unfortunately, it remained among some of his furniture in grandpa's house that he had to sell in a haste!

And we had a "TELERAD" ('never seen any others like this..rare?) radio my dad bought in 1971-72. It was long, and the top was a smooth, polished decolum-like surface and had a chrome strip along the edge- it looked simply amazing! 'stopped working almost 20 years ago (in the sense didn't play anything but did turn on when you switched it on) and my parents lost interest in it.
They did have it lying around at home for ages (I used to dust it every now and then!) before my mom gave it away around 5 years ago to some electrician I think, obviously without my knowledge! :(

Oh well, I seem to've got too carried away....!
Enough of the OT I guess!
never heard of Telerad! Must be something rare. Btw, i think i should start a thread for other vintage hobbies. Anybody like antique furniture??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,300
Thanked: 1,494 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Anybody like antique furniture??
OK, this is my LAST go at hijacking your thread, sorry chettAn!

YES, I do! Count me in!! Although I'm more fond of 60s/70s furniture, viz. those that came with the legs slanted outwards (get me?)....I love those decolum-top dining tables that came in the 70s. 'been scouting for one since ages!!

Last edited by Stanher : 15th January 2009 at 10:27.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 20:57   #8
BHPian
 
boeuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blr
Posts: 176
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
My first preference would be something like the 2nd one (philips) although I'm open to anything that's available! Even if it doesn't work!

I think my grandpa had a radio like the first one (BUSH), from the way I remember my dad describing it. Unfortunately, it remained among some of his furniture in grandpa's house that he had to sell in a haste!

And we had a "TELERAD" ('never seen any others like this..rare?) radio my dad bought in 1971-72. It was long, and the top was a smooth, polished decolum-like surface and had a chrome strip along the edge- it looked simply amazing! 'stopped working almost 20 years ago (in the sense didn't play anything but did turn on when you switched it on) and my parents lost interest in it.
They did have it lying around at home for ages (I used to dust it every now and then!) before my mom gave it away around 5 years ago to some electrician I think, obviously without my knowledge! :(

Oh well, I seem to've got too carried away....!
Enough of the OT I guess!
Here are a few pictures of my Telefunken Shankara radio. It still works and infact I have my PC audio output connected to the pickup socket on the radio.

If you guys like old radios, you may want to read this.

Homo ludens radiohistoricus

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Spool Players!-img_0189.jpg  

Vintage Spool Players!-img_01871.jpg  

boeuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 21:05   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
never heard of Telerad! Must be something rare. Btw, i think i should start a thread for other vintage hobbies.
The first TV in our home was a Telerad, sometime in the early sixties! 29" B&W.
Back then Telerad was a MAJOR company!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 23:31   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OK, this is my LAST go at hijacking your thread, sorry chettAn!

YES, I do! Count me in!! Although I'm more fond of 60s/70s furniture, viz. those that came with the legs slanted outwards (get me?)....I love those decolum-top dining tables that came in the 70s. 'been scouting for one since ages!!
Seventies furniture is quite in vogue now Shyam. So that makes you quite a "with it" sort of a guy !
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Here are a few pictures of my Telefunken Shankara radio. It still works and infact I have my PC audio output connected to the pickup socket on the radio.

If you guys like old radios, you may want to read this.

Homo ludens radiohistoricus

Cheers,
Boeuff, can we have a close up picture of that blue model car placed atop the radio ? Looks very interesting..
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 03:41   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

I lost those ancient valve radio's we had in our ancestoral houses.today ,I got a old Philips Transistor -1950's with me -ofcourse ,dead in condition.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 23:12   #12
BHPian
 
boeuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blr
Posts: 176
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Boeuff, can we have a close up picture of that blue model car placed atop the radio ? Looks very interesting..
That is a model of a Trabant
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Spool Players!-img_0190.jpg  

Vintage Spool Players!-img_0191.jpg  

Vintage Spool Players!-img_0192.jpg  

Vintage Spool Players!-img_0193.jpg  

Vintage Spool Players!-img_0194.jpg  

boeuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 23:25   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Wow, what a beautiful model of the good ol' Trabi ! Deserves to be in the "scale model thread". What manufacturer / scale ?
Jay, really sorry to take your thread on a tangent like this !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:22   #14
Newbie
 
ideasingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Vintage Spool Players!

I also laid my hands on a Telerad Symphony recently - valve type radio - looking for a repair guy in Bangalore !

Check the image, though not very clear. Will post again..
Attached Images
 
ideasingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:27   #15
Newbie
 
ideasingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 3 Times
Smile Re: Vintage Spool Players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wow wow wow!!! That sounds awesome! Lookin forward to that!



You mean something like THIS:
Attachment 89612


Attachment 89613


Or THIS??

Attachment 89614





The first one is a bush valve from the 40's(?) Zoom into the first pic and u can see the names of all the stations available internationally at that time. Funny thing is that, most f them still work!!
----------
Can someone help me in identifying a good mechanic for these kind of radios in Bangalore, I laid my hands on an old Telerad - symphony valve type radio, Now looking for an expert to mend it for me.
ideasingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MP3 players, ipod or samsung or creative and repairs amit1101 Gadgets, Computers & Software 60 28th April 2016 18:02
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
Any Counterstrike Source players in here zaphod Shifting gears 1 20th September 2006 21:24
Do people actually buy cassette players anymore? Rtech In-Car Entertainment 39 3rd February 2006 15:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks