Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2014, 10:55   #1651
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Are you guys installing developer preview or is the official 8.1 released?
This is the developer preview and the not the general release.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:00   #1652
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 632
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Are you guys installing developer preview or is the official 8.1 released?
Yes, I am on the developer preview from Microsoft. Hope Nokia rolls out the Cyan update soon.

Last edited by bejoy : 17th April 2014 at 11:01.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:10   #1653
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
New volume settings.
That is probably the most useful feature for me. There have been numerous occasions where I turned down the volume while playing games and missed many calls since I forgot to increase the volume afterwards.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:10   #1654
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 522
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

Typing this using the swift keyboard (Word Flow?), which I missed badly in Windows.
Its called Shape Writing keyboard.
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 13:25   #1655
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 738
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I have a lumia 525 and is it impossible to change the whatsapp ringtone?

Also how do I mute whatsapp notifications while keeping ringtones and email alerts switched on?
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 15:29   #1656
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I have a lumia 525 and is it impossible to change the whatsapp ringtone?

Also how do I mute whatsapp notifications while keeping ringtones and email alerts switched on?

Click on the whatsapp group name and then there is an option for mute. Keep it to ON and the msg sound won't come
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 15:33   #1657
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 738
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Click on the whatsapp group name and then there is an option for mute. Keep it to ON and the msg sound won't come
I am aware that we can mute group chats, but what about personal chats ?
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 00:05   #1658
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dehra Dun
Posts: 71
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I am aware that we can mute group chats, but what about personal chats ?
It depends. If you're on 8.1, simply go to settings>notifications+actions>scroll down>tap on WhatsApp>notification sound>none. As of now, there is no way to do this on windows phone 8. If you want to get 8.1 go to this link:http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-wi...iew-developers. Hope this helps!

Last edited by thebfg : 19th April 2014 at 00:07.
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 10:30   #1659
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Anyone facing FB app issues on Lumia? In am on win 8 on my lumia 720 and unable to open FB app. Freezes on the blue opening screen. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

No luck
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 10:52   #1660
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,654
Thanked: 3,773 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Anyone facing FB app issues on Lumia? In am on win 8 on my lumia 720 and unable to open FB app. Freezes on the blue opening screen. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

No luck
No issues with FB app. Are you trying on wifi or via 3G?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 11:11   #1661
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
No issues with FB app. Are you trying on wifi or via 3G?
hi,

tried with wifi & 3G both. It refuses to open. Just freezes at the start screen.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:36   #1662
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 56
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Did anyone try Cortana? Been playing with it since the last couple days. You've to change the phone region to U.S to install it. Does most of the things as advertised. The sad part is it replaces the default Bing search screen(which has those awesome wallpapers everyday) when you hit the search button.
deoelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:01   #1663
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 632
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
hi,

tried with wifi & 3G both. It refuses to open. Just freezes at the start screen.
Hope you tried a restart. Is the phone low on memory?

As a last resort, you could try 'Facebook Beta' app (similar to the non-beta one), from Microsoft which is updated more frequently.

Last edited by bejoy : 22nd April 2014 at 12:02.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:34   #1664
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 585
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Did anyone try Cortana? Been playing with it since the last couple days. You've to change the phone region to U.S to install it. Does most of the things as advertised. The sad part is it replaces the default Bing search screen(which has those awesome wallpapers everyday) when you hit the search button.
Yup! And Cortana is super. Having used Siri and Google, I think Cortana is better at recognizing my English. Well, and this is the US version - not even the Indian version of speech recognition.

You can still type your query on the Search box and get the same results as bing. The best part is it can also search your phone - which was missing earlier.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:08   #1665
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 56
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
You can still type your query on the Search box and get the same results as bing. The best part is it can also search your phone - which was missing earlier.
Yes that's correct. I was talking about the bing wallpaper that used to show up when we hit the search button. It also had a little icon on the lower left side detailing the image and source. Now the wallpaper is replaced by Cortana asking me whats on my mind
deoelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Care App for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone users PCS The Indian Car Scene 53 4th May 2016 11:49
Copying large number of folders from windows XP to windows 7 laptop tsk1979 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 18th June 2010 22:47
new lease of life to my windows mobile 2003 phone androdev Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 7th March 2008 14:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks