Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th February 2016, 10:12   #2281
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

I'm using a Microsoft 640XL and I'm running Windows 10 using Windows Insider. I'm unable to download any further updates due to insufficient space. I've already moved all photos, videos etc to the SD card as well as most of the apps. Some apps cannot be moved (mostly the Microsoft Apps). 7.02 GB of the available 7.28 GB on the device memory is used up. What else can I delete to free up space?
The split up is:
System & Reserved: 6.22 GB
Apps & Games: 594 MB
Pictures: 288 MB (Don't know what this is as all the pics are on the SD Card)
Mail & Messaging: 184 MB
Temporary Files: 784 KB
Other: 256 KB
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 23:43   #2282
BHPian

Question Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Guys! Could you suggest some good clean up apps for windows mobile? Sister's Lumia 1320 clogs like anything, and i am lost for good apps in windows store.

Also, when is the scheduled win 10 update for 1320?

Please advise.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 23:32   #2283
BHPian

Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys! Could you suggest some good clean up apps for windows mobile? Sister's Lumia 1320 clogs like anything, and i am lost for good apps in windows store.

Also, when is the scheduled win 10 update for 1320?

Please advise.
Not sure if you still need help with this, but I personally never found the need to use one in my 4+ years of using Windows Phone. There are quite a few apps though. Try Storage Cleaner Pro, iCleaner or Clean Master Lite.

The Windows Phone 10 update has not been given a firm release date by Microsoft yet, but they say it's due this month. Waiting and watching since December. I'd rather they release with no bugs, so being patient
Joxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 18:10   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm using a Microsoft 640XL and I'm running Windows 10 using Windows Insider. I'm unable to download any further updates due to insufficient space. I've already moved all photos, videos etc to the SD card as well as most of the apps. Some apps cannot be moved (mostly the Microsoft Apps). 7.02 GB of the available 7.28 GB on the device memory is used up. What else can I delete to free up space?
The split up is:
System & Reserved: 6.22 GB
Apps & Games: 594 MB
Pictures: 288 MB (Don't know what this is as all the pics are on the SD Card)
Mail & Messaging: 184 MB
Temporary Files: 784 KB
Other: 256 KB
Are you using the "storage sense" app?
My phone shows the following breakdown for phone:
Other: 0
Temp: 0
System: 3.71 GB (this number has not changed much in spite of many updates, was almost the same in my earlier Lumia 520 too)
Maps: 1.59 GB
Emails+messaging: 255 MB
App+game: 601 MB
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 16:10   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
I'm using a Microsoft 640XL and I'm running Windows 10 using Windows Insider.
I have been using this phone for several months now and I am really disappointed. Initially I thought that upgrading to Windows 10 would solve the problems so I did that using Windows Insider and it became worse. Finally I got the full fledged Win 10 update and there's not much improvement. Phone hangs and needs to be restarted several times a day. Powering it up after switching off is a pain too. I have to keep the switch depressed for a long time to get it started. Frankly I'm just fed up. I think I'll finally take the plunge and go for an iPhone as a primary phone and Android as my secondary. Looking forward to a "Windows Mukt" life (I ditched Windows Laptops a while ago, first by switching to Linux and then buying a Macbook).
Old 15th March 2016, 11:50   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
I think I'll finally take the plunge and go for an iPhone as a primary phone
It is your decision. However, I think you are comparing low end Windows Phone with iPhone which probably costs three times of your Windows Phone. That is apple and orange comparison. Lumia 9xx range can be better compared with iPhone (though it costs much lesser than iPhone)
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 12:46   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
It is your decision. However, I think you are comparing low end Windows Phone with iPhone which probably costs three times of your Windows Phone. That is apple and orange comparison. Lumia 9xx range can be better compared with iPhone (though it costs much lesser than iPhone)
Even if you compare it to a low end Android phone, the performance is bad. I switched from Android to Windows as I expected something better from a phone where is Hardware and Software was from the same company.
Old 15th March 2016, 17:56   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if you compare it to a low end Android phone, the performance is bad. I switched from Android to Windows as I expected something better from a phone where is Hardware and Software was from the same company.
Windows 10 on phone HAS performance and reliability issues as of now.It is mentioned on countless reviews and blogs on the internet.

So was the Windows 10 update rolled out on your phone? Or did you kludge it on your own?
I have not seen any device except the Lumia 950 that comes with Windows 10 right now.

In concise, the following reasons should be the real reason why someone chooses to not select WP platform:
1) The email app is great, however it funnily restrict you from modifying the contents of email being forwarded
2) The email app may be great, but try to attach multiple types of documents
3) The OS suspends all apps while calling/receiving phone, presents certain unique "problems" like not being able to record conversations
4) Google's monopolistic behavior regarding the availability of their apps on WP platform - problem only because most of the people have now become google zombies
5) Colors have now become as mundane and boring as Androids and iPhones
6) Search button fixed (and not changeable) for Bing
7) Contacts/people app doesn't come with native T9 dialer. There are 3rd party apps though. [I remember even Android and iPhone don't have single unified app for this]
8) Call history doesn't show duration and only shows recent most instance, doesn't display the exact number if single contact has multiple phone numbers
9) If lockscreen is enabled, the Phone/SD storage is not recognized on Linux
10) Lack of apps, though curiously my Windows phone has the maximum count of app among my Android and iPhone friends But I will agree most of the companies introduce their app the last on Windows. Mostly it is Android and iPhone.

On the flip-side, a Windows phone with 1GB RAM and Snapdragon 2xx series will appear (maneuvering, general usage) to be equivalent to Android with 2GB RAM and Snapdragon 4xx, and also allows app storage on SD card for most of the apps. Android, surprisingly, doesn't offer SD card storage for most of the apps that I have encountered.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th March 2016 at 14:00. Reason: As requested
Old 16th March 2016, 14:09   #2289
BHPian

Looks like HERE maps is not going to be supported in Windows 10 from end of March 2016 :(

http://www.slashgear.com/here-ditche...test-15431775/
Seagull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 14:47   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
3) The OS suspends all apps while calling/receiving phone, presents certain unique "problems" like not being able to record conversations
Sure about this? Because if I had WhatsApp open and I attend a call that comes in between, I keep getting annoying vibrating alerts whenever a message comes. Too annoying that I disabled the notification for WhatsApp.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 10:41   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Looks like HERE maps is not going to be supported in Windows 10 from end of March 2016 :(

http://www.slashgear.com/here-ditche...test-15431775/
Well I am having vision of future of Windows phone being "relegated" to corporate device like Blackberry used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Sure about this? Because if I had WhatsApp open and I attend a call that comes in between, I keep getting annoying vibrating alerts whenever a message comes. Too annoying that I disabled the notification for WhatsApp.
http://m.windowscentral.com/enable-n...460.1447553321

Looks like I stand corrected.

[Mods, can you please remove my Point #3 in the post above?]
Old 17th March 2016, 12:28   #2292
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
8) Call history doesn't show duration and only shows recent most instance, doesn't display the exact number if single contact has multiple phone numbers
Long press the contact name in call history and tap on details it will show you call duration, incoming/outgoing, date and time of your previous calls with that contact.
And below the contact name in call history it is mentioned there whether the call was incoming or outgoing, from which no. of that contact and time.
For eg.
ABC (4)__________________
incoming, work, Mon 11.00a

Tap on and it will open ABC's contant details where you can find which particular no. you have saved as 'work' and other numbers.
( symbol is used just for representation purpose)
Hope it helps.
NPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 10:06   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
Long press the contact name in call history and tap on details it will show you call duration, incoming/outgoing, date and time of your previous calls with that contact.
And below the contact name in call history it is mentioned there whether the call was incoming or outgoing, from which no. of that contact and time.
For eg.
ABC (4)__________________
incoming, work, Mon 11.00a

Tap on and it will open ABC's contant details where you can find which particular no. you have saved as 'work' and other numbers.
( symbol is used just for representation purpose)
Hope it helps.
w00t!
Thanks, you method also tells me the "previous" instances of calls even though the main pages shows only the latest one.

So there goes away the point no. 8, though I still can't see which phone number has the caller called from. All I can do is call back on that number.
Old 19th March 2016, 10:00   #2294
BHPian

How can I copy all the pics I took on a Windows phone into an Android phone.

Windows phone stores pics on the device so I tried copying one at a time. Is there a better way to do this
SyncNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 11:53   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
How can I copy all the pics I took on a Windows phone into an Android phone.

Windows phone stores pics on the device so I tried copying one at a time. Is there a better way to do this
You could try connecting to a PC or laptop and transfer them en bloc .
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote