Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 13:00   #2311
BHPian
 
RiGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 150
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Official Windows 10 update for Lumia devices available. Updating my Lumia 730 now.
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 13:27   #2312
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 626
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Bye bye Windows Phone

Gifed myself a new Motorola G4 Plus. Bye Lumia 720, Lumia 640 and MS!

Onedrive: This was the last nail in the coffin for my Windows Phone. They gave me 15GB of free storage and additional 2GB when I signed up for auto upload from my wife's phone. So was happy with 17GB and nicely uploading the photos and videos, until one fine day MS said that I have only 5GB and need to delete all the excess data. Holy crap! I had excess of 10GB and my account is read only and with important backups at stake. Got the message loud and clear from MS - get lost from Windows Phone!

Here's how the transition went.
  1. Contact transfer - Went to outlook.com and exported the contacts to csv file. Imported the contacts to the Google account. (under Gmail/Contacts). Realized that it does not import the Nickname, which I had a lot of entries. I did a lot of manual updates in the csv file before importing to Gmail and got everything in. Another option is to install Outlook app for Andriod and connect the outlook account, which will sync all the contacts.
  2. SMS transfer - Exported the SMS to SD card using Settings-contacts+messages backup (install app from MS store). Converted the file to an xml file using a python scrit. More details here: https://medium.com/@matteocontrini/h...362#.yi0ef6y5u Got everything intact, that even MS could not do properly when doing a hard rest and restore.
  3. WhatsApp messages: Realized that there is no way to transfer the messages from one platform to another. WhatsApp don't support it. I had no option but to start fresh. From the WP, sent all the chats via email, for the records as a saving grace.
  4. WhatsApp media: The good thing in WP is that the WhatsApp media is saved in the SD card. I made a backup in the PC of all the SD card data and will organize it later.
  5. Music: I had a vast collection that I downloaded form Nokia MixRadio that was still in the SD card. MS Groove Music could never read those music files properly and made a mess of it in the library (classified everything as unknown album/unknown artist). I just copied these music files to the Moto SD card and the Google Music immediately made a nice library with all the ID3 tags and album art pics. How neat!!! (Cursing MS again...)
  6. I had a lot of waypoints/POIs saved from my Nokia e71 days, which eventually got transferred to Here maps and finally to Maps in Windows 10. Got the Here maps installed in Moto and was pleasantly surprised and revealed to get all those collections in my Phone finally.
  7. All the other data is in the SD card and I could directly use it in the Moto.

It was a very had decision to move out of WP and I am already missing the UI much.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 10:18   #2313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 313 Times
Default BookMyShow App controlling my phone?

I have the Book My Show app installed on my Windows Phone. I have disabled notifications for all of the apps including this one. However time and again I have found that the sound notification on Book My Show app are switched on again!

This surely mean that the app is doing it by itself, right? Anyone else experiencing the same with the same app or any other? Ways to prevent such apps from controlling your phone?

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks,
Trek
trek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 14:20   #2314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Bumping up an old thread up.

Is it advisable to buy a Windows Phone in 2017? I'm not much of an app-savvy person, and my needs are fairly simple.

The following tasks / apps, and in that order of priority must work well.

1. Gmail (all of its features).
2. Torque pro / connecting the phone with car.
3. Team BHP app, Whatsapp.
4. MapMyIndia app.
5. Sound quality must be good.
6. Tethering.
7. Calling / Texting.

I have a query with respect to the RAM size of a Windows phone and an Android. Why are the RAM sizes of Windows phones smaller than that of Androids?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 14:28   #2315
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Bumping up an old thread up.

Is it advisable to buy a Windows Phone in 2017? I'm not much of an app-savvy person, and my needs are fairly simple.

The following tasks / apps, and in that order of priority must work well.

1. Gmail (all of its features).
2. Torque pro / connecting the phone with car.
3. Team BHP app, Whatsapp.
4. MapMyIndia app.
5. Sound quality must be good.
6. Tethering.
7. Calling / Texting.

I have a query with respect to the RAM size of a Windows phone and an Android. Why are the RAM sizes of Windows phones smaller than that of Androids?
I left from WP platform in December last year. And till the time I was there, there was no proper T-BHP app available, even Instagram was a beta app which kept crashing.

MapMyIndia - not too sure, but the native Here maps by Nokia used to work flawlessly.

Calling, texting and other phone features are phone dependent, and generally not much of an issue on WP...

WP phones mostly come with smaller RAM sizes, as the OS is inherently lighter and doesn't require a huge hardware to work smoothly.
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:02   #2316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I left from WP platform in December last year. And till the time I was there, there was no proper T-BHP app available, even Instagram was a beta app which kept crashing.

MapMyIndia - not too sure, but the native Here maps by Nokia used to work flawlessly.

Calling, texting and other phone features are phone dependent, and generally not much of an issue on WP...

WP phones mostly come with smaller RAM sizes, as the OS is inherently lighter and doesn't require a huge hardware to work smoothly.
Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm in a dilemma. I have a Samsung Tablet, which, because it fell in water, is dead right now. The service center has advised to replace its motherboard with a new one. The cost is estimated at Re 9000/-

I am considering buying a new phone instead of repairing the Tablet, and hence considering the Windows Phone for a change. I am not into much of gaming or watching movies on the phone or downloading things on the phone. Just for working on excel, word files, emailing and Whatsapp. I had Torque pro installed on my Tablet, so would like to install and use the same too. Which particular model would you suggest for this?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:27   #2317
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 661
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Don't. Just buy any android phone with a 5.5-6 inch screen. You wouldn't need a tablet after that.

Stay away from WP. Microsoft will discontinue WP very soon.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:32   #2318
BHPian
 
themonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 54
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm in a dilemma. I have a Samsung Tablet, which, because it fell in water, is dead right now. The service center has advised to replace its motherboard with a new one. The cost is estimated at Re 9000/-

I am considering buying a new phone instead of repairing the Tablet, and hence considering the Windows Phone for a change. I am not into much of gaming or watching movies on the phone or downloading things on the phone. Just for working on excel, word files, emailing and Whatsapp. I had Torque pro installed on my Tablet, so would like to install and use the same too. Which particular model would you suggest for this?
Hello Swapnil4585,

I was a big fan of the Windows Phone operating system, mostly cause the platform had everything which was needed, but nothing extra, and of course the camera quality is amazing.

As my present phone is a Nokia Lumia 830 (The last Nokia before Microsoft's takeover), and we are in the year 2017, where even Nokia (under HMD, after the Mobile division of Microsoft was sold to them) has shifted to Android operating system; I can only tell you one thing, Windows Phone is ALMOST out of the market. No App support since a while now, and no apps other than WhatsApp receives regular updates. Even Microsoft doesn't make the phones anymore, let alone regular operating system updates. And there are only a handful of devices left in the market, and that too very old stocks (around a year).

My advice to you, Buy an Android phone (Like Redmi Note 4, Note 4A, Mi Max, Moto G5 plus, Lenovo K6 power etc) depending on your budget and screen size requirement. Most of the Apps you have listed (from your earlier post) are easily available in the Android App store.

I hope my post could be of some use to you.
themonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 16:44   #2319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Hello Swapnil4585,

I was a big fan of the Windows Phone operating system, mostly cause the platform had everything which was needed, but nothing extra, and of course the camera quality is amazing.

As my present phone is a Nokia Lumia 830 (The last Nokia before Microsoft's takeover), and we are in the year 2017, where even Nokia (under HMD, after the Mobile division of Microsoft was sold to them) has shifted to Android operating system; I can only tell you one thing, Windows Phone is ALMOST out of the market. No App support since a while now, and no apps other than WhatsApp receives regular updates. Even Microsoft doesn't make the phones anymore, let alone regular operating system updates. And there are only a handful of devices left in the market, and that too very old stocks (around a year).

My advice to you, Buy an Android phone (Like Redmi Note 4, Note 4A, Mi Max, Moto G5 plus, Lenovo K6 power etc) depending on your budget and screen size requirement. Most of the Apps you have listed (from your earlier post) are easily available in the Android App store.

I hope my post could be of some use to you.
+1 to the above.

I own a Lumia 730 and most of the apps do not perform to full functionality. A lot of useful apps are not on the Windows platform and the existing ones are hardly updated.

I have frequent issues in getting apps like Uber, Instagram and Twitter to work properly. You are better off with an Android or an iPhone. Windows never truly arrived and it would be a bad investment to get a new phone on this platform.

Last edited by trek : 5th May 2017 at 16:46.
trek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 19:14   #2320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
My advice to you, Buy an Android phone (Like Redmi Note 4, Note 4A, Mi Max, Moto G5 plus, Lenovo K6 power etc) depending on your budget and screen size requirement. Most of the Apps you have listed (from your earlier post) are easily available in the Android App store.

I hope my post could be of some use to you.
Thanks for that. So now, I've dropped the idea of a WP.

How do you find the new Android phones from Nokia? D1C and the likes?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 21:28   #2321
BHPian
 
themonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 54
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Thanks for that. So now, I've dropped the idea of a WP.

How do you find the new Android phones from Nokia? D1C and the likes?
Hello Swapnil,

Terribly sorry for the late reply. I missed the notification and didn't realize about your post.

I have been checking into the market since January 2017 to replace my aging Nokia Lumia 830. But I will be replacing it soon, as the capacitative touch buttons of 'back', 'home' and 'search' work intermittently, whenever they feel like.

Options I considered:

1. Nokia 6
Estimated Cost on arrival Rs.15000-20000
Pros:
- Solid Build quality. (teardown videos and drop tests videos on youtube show the proof)
- Latest Android updates.
- 3.5mm Audio jack with Dolby Audio
Cons:
- Poor camera quality
- Hybrid Slot for SIM2 (either SIM or memory card)
- It's already been 6 months since the Nokia 6 launched in China, and it will only be coming to India next week (speculated)

2. Xiaomi Mi 6
Estimated Cost on arrival Rs. 25000-32000
Speculated arrival date: End June 2017
Pros:
- Processor: Snapdragon 830
- Dual Camera (one with OIS and the other 2x zoom lens)
- USB-C port with fast charging
- Premium Glass finish
Cons:
- Full HD 1080p screen
- No 3.5mm Audio Jack
- Not Waterproof
- Video quality isn't impressive
- No Memory Card

3. OnePlus 5
Estimated Cost on arrival Rs. 30000-35000
Speculated arrival: End June 2017 or July 2017
Pros:
- Processor: Snapdragon 830
- Dual Camera
- USB-C with dash charge
- 3.5mm jack (confirmed)
Cons:
- None yet

4. Moto G5 Plus
Price: around Rs. 15000-17000
Availablity: www.flipkart.com
Pros:
- Premium build for the price, all metal body
- Fingerprint scanner (front mounted) has a couple of swipe functions
- Good camera for the price with a f/1.7 aperture
- 3.5mm Jack
- Memory Card slot with Dual Sim (total 3 slots)
Cons:
- Already 6 months since launch, Lenovo is planning for a Moto G5S in the coming months (possibly an October-November Release)
Overall a VFM product

6. Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Price: Rs. 10000-13000
Availability: Mi store and Sangeetha outlets (Bangalore)
For This phone, I cannot think of any pros, as it ticks all the boxes, but at an average level. Definity the most VFM phone in the market right now. (Rs.13000 for Snapdragon 625, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera, fingerprint scanner on the rear, 3.5mm audio jack is a steal)
Available with accident protection if bought from Mi store.
Cons:
- Availability. You either have to wait patiently for every Thursday at 12 pm for the flash sale (in which the phone gets sold out in 30seconds to a minute flat) or pre-order it the next day with delivery within 5-7 days or buy from Sangeetha for Rs.500 extra (as that is the MRP price)
- Apart from black, the other 2 colors look and feel grainy.

These are the Android phones I am currently looking at.
I did buy a Lenovo Vibe Shot about a year back, but I wasn't very comfortable with the phone and use it as a secondary device, mostly for internet apps. The only selling point for the Lenovo Vibe Shot is the premium build (2 glass panels with a metal filling) and camera (16MP with OIS and several camera modes out of the box with a dedicated camera button and a switch to change between 'Auto' and 'Pro' modes).

If you are looking for something indestructible, the Moto X Force is available on Amazon.in for Rs.21000 for 32GB variant and Rs. 23000 for the 64GB variant. I had gotten it for my sister last year when the price was Rs.30000. It's very solid, and the screen comes with a 4-year warranty and will be replaced if you manage to shatter it. The only drawback is the phone is about 2 years old already and phased out in markets like the US (and replaced with the Moto Z Force).

Hope I could help with your phone hunt.
themonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 12:02   #2322
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,057
Thanked: 515 Times
Arrow Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
- Processor: Snapdragon 830
Current flagship from Qualcomm is Snapdragon 835

Cheers!
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 12:41   #2323
BHPian
 
themonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 54
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Current flagship from Qualcomm is Snapdragon 835

Cheers!
Hello myavu,

Yes, my mistake while typing.
Thank you for pointing it out.


From my Above post, with the corrections in bold for the benefit of others when they bump into this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Hello Swapnil,

2. Xiaomi Mi 6

- Processor: Snapdragon 835


3. OnePlus 5

- Processor: Snapdragon 835

themonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 13:34   #2324
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 287
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
3. OnePlus 5
Estimated Cost on arrival Rs. 30000-35000
Speculated arrival: End June 2017 or July 2017
Pros:
- Processor: Snapdragon 830
- Dual Camera
- USB-C with dash charge
- 3.5mm jack (confirmed)
Cons:
- None yet
June 22nd and around 32k or 33k.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 16:54   #2325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Hello Swapnil,

Terribly sorry for the late reply. I missed the notification and didn't realize about your post.

Hope I could help with your phone hunt.

Oh, no problem brother.

I have now short listed 3 phones, all of which are Androids, and are launched in May 2017.

1. Blackberry Aurora (18,000/-).
2. LG KG-10 (2017) (14,000/-).
3. Nokia 6 (~ 13,000/-).

I tried purchasing these phones, but they aren't available for sale yet, pending for 30-06-2017 to pass as per the dealers.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Care App for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone users PCS The Indian Car Scene 53 4th May 2016 11:49
Copying large number of folders from windows XP to windows 7 laptop tsk1979 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 18th June 2010 22:47
new lease of life to my windows mobile 2003 phone androdev Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 7th March 2008 14:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks