Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th June 2017, 20:58   #2326
BHPian

Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Oh, no problem brother.

I have now short listed 3 phones, all of which are Androids, and are launched in May 2017.

1. Blackberry Aurora (18,000/-).
2. LG KG-10 (2017) (14,000/-).
3. Nokia 6 (~ 13,000/-).

I tried purchasing these phones, but they aren't available for sale yet, pending for 30-06-2017 to pass as per the dealers.

I know only about the Nokia 6. It will release on June 13th in India, and I think they will most probably take the online route and tie up with Amazon or Flipkart. I don't think the phone will come less than Rs. 15000/-.

Source
On the Above website, it is written the price as about 230 Euros, which is approximately Rs.16500/-.

In addition to the above, might I add the Lenovo K6 power? The battery on the K6 power goes for a full day with heavy use.
themonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 08:21   #2327
BHPian

Hey guys,

I've been a windows phone user for the past three years. (I have a Lumia 625) Recently, when I tried downloading an app, it said to change 'My Family settings' in order to do so.

Hence, I log on to my Microsoft account and tried changing all the child settings (I am a child user) but there was no improvement. It said I needed to update my phone to use 'My Family'. I even tried to change my settings from my dad's account (Of course, He's also a part of the family) but once again nothing happened.

Later, I realized that Microsoft has discontinued support for phones with Windows 8.1, which meant that these phones won't be getting any further updates from Microsoft.

Does this mean I can't download apps any more? And do I need to change my phone?

Regards,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:48   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Wink Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
And do I need to change my phone?
Theoretically yes and practically no.

Yes, Microsoft had stopped supporting Windows Phone 8.1 long time back. You will not get any official update anymore. But don't worry. There is a registry hack by which you can fool the update server as L950 and get the latest Windows 10 Mobile update. Just Google it.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 15:35   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've been a windows phone user for the past three years. (I have a Lumia 625)........
Does this mean I can't download apps any more? And do I need to change my phone?

Regards,
Karthi.stark
If you're intent on continuing with Windows Phone and don't mind me offering this, I have a spare Lumia 730 in pristine condition that I don't use anymore. It's updated to Windows Phone 10 so it may help you get around your issue.

You can have it if you want it. PM me.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 06:48   #2330
BHPian

Quote:

Later, I realized that Microsoft has discontinued support for phones with Windows 8.1, which meant that these phones won't be getting any further updates from Microsoft.

Yes, it is really sad that MS stopped 8.1. In my opinion, it is one of the best and simple UI on any of the smartphones I have come across. Especially for older people.
I still wish someone (android or iPhone) can buy the patent/rights to use the keyboard.

There are ways to port WinPho 10 (not officially though). Check XDA Forum.
500ContyCruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 07:11   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also have a cheap Lumia (8000Rs) which I have been using for more than 3 years. It's practically indestructible & I used to love it (I am still using it).

But I will never buy a phone sold by Microsoft again. For more than a year back, the phone and the OS (8.1) have been abandoned by MS. The same MS apps get better support on Android than on the Lumia. Never again.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote