Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 17:56   #781
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Seems like a boot loader image bug. You can try doing a hard reset once. If that doesn't solve the problem, contact Nokia customer care. Normally those 5 seconds show a Nokia image.
If it's just the logo then, I'm not missing much. Phone is just a few weeks old, I don't want it visiting the doctor when it's not sick.
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 21:46   #782
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
If it's just the logo then, I'm not missing much. Phone is just a few weeks old, I don't want it visiting the doctor when it's not sick.
I agree. If everything else is working ok, then ignore it.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 18:03   #783
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 1,764 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Having used the new Nokia Lumia 820 for almost a month now, I thought I need to share the experience with everybody.
- The phone has a very large foot print, making it a bit cubersome when I am eating / holding a cup of tea / holding my laptop, and I have to use my mobile. Single handed usage is very tricky.
- The screen looks way better than what the reviews had made it seem like ( too much influenced by the 920? ) and I just love the screen.
- The Internal storage keeps rapidly decreasing after each update the Apps / the phone undergoes! Disappointing
- The Nokia specific Apps make me feel like a Rock Star whenever I show them off to my friends and colleagues.
- I just love the 'Voice guided operation' ( or whatever that is called ) I downloaded the Indian English pack (23 mb IIRC ) and it is well adapted to our dialect! It really helps when I am walking and I have to call someone up, as searching the contacts is not that easy!
- The battery life with 3G always on is very disappointing, lasts 11 hours in that case, so I use only 2G while at office. With only 2G, the battery lasts more than 30 hours, which is very practical.

How do I feel now? Great! Everyone around me is curious to know about the WP8 UI and keep asking for my phone and have very positive words to say about it. They all seem to be bored with the now omni present Android OS!

I feel like a Jaguar owner in a sea of BMWs, Audis and Mercs! - Cant put it down in a better way while writing at T-BHP
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 20:10   #784
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Having used the new Nokia Lumia 820 for almost a month now, I thought I need to share the experience with everybody.
- The phone has a very large foot print, making it a bit cubersome when I am eating / holding a cup of tea / holding my laptop, and I have to use my mobile. Single handed usage is very tricky.
- The screen looks way better than what the reviews had made it seem like ( too much influenced by the 920? ) and I just love the screen.
- The Internal storage keeps rapidly decreasing after each update the Apps / the phone undergoes! Disappointing
- The Nokia specific Apps make me feel like a Rock Star whenever I show them off to my friends and colleagues.
- I just love the 'Voice guided operation' ( or whatever that is called ) I downloaded the Indian English pack (23 mb IIRC ) and it is well adapted to our dialect! It really helps when I am walking and I have to call someone up, as searching the contacts is not that easy!
- The battery life with 3G always on is very disappointing, lasts 11 hours in that case, so I use only 2G while at office. With only 2G, the battery lasts more than 30 hours, which is very practical.

How do I feel now? Great! Everyone around me is curious to know about the WP8 UI and keep asking for my phone and have very positive words to say about it. They all seem to be bored with the now omni present Android OS!

I feel like a Jaguar owner in a sea of BMWs, Audis and Mercs! - Cant put it down in a better way while writing at T-BHP
Ditto here Aravind.

Have been using Lumia 820 since the past two weeks & I'm very happy with my buy. I was an Android user but hated it to the core. WP8 has a very fluid interface.

The only thing that I didn't like about this phone was the battery life with 3G ON. Very disappointing :-(. With 2G it is not bad.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 07:59   #785
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

While not user replaceable, it still is a bit disappointing to know that Nokia blessed the 720 over the 82x and 920 in the battery area.

520 --> 4" --> 1430mAh(Li-ion)
521 --> 4" -->
620 --> 3.8" --> 1300mAh(Li-ion)
720 --> 4.3" --> 2000mAh (Li-ion, not user replaceable)
820 --> 4.3" --> 1650mAh (Li-ion)
822 --> 4.3" --> 1800mAh (Li-po)
920 --> 4.5" --> 2000mAh (Li-ion. not user replaceable)

I wonder what the thinking behind this was.
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 11:50   #786
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I wonder what the thinking behind this was.
The only reason I can think of is an acceptable size.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:19   #787
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Nokia Lumia 620 up for Preorder on Flipkart for Rs 15199/-

http://www.mobigyaan.com/nokia-lumia...t-for-rs-15199
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:53   #788
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Question Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I have a peculiar problem with WhatsApp on my Lumia 820. I get notifications for received messages on the home screen but when i enter the app the message isn't there Then after sometime messages get delivered/received. It was seamless in my android device, it isn't so in WP8. I'm having the latest version of WhatsApp. Any solutions?
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 15:33   #789
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I'm looking for an alternative to the in-built SMS app of my 822; perhaps a 3rd party app. The in-built one is no good and I'm willing to pay to have this service.

Anyone with a Lumia 822 here ?
vinu_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:48   #790
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,680
Thanked: 2,722 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I have a peculiar problem with WhatsApp on my Lumia 820. I get notifications for received messages on the home screen but when i enter the app the message isn't there Then after sometime messages get delivered/received. It was seamless in my android device, it isn't so in WP8. I'm having the latest version of WhatsApp. Any solutions?
It's a common problem. If you look up the FAQs on Whatsapp; it says that specific to WP, the way Whatsapp works is.. you get a message when Whatsapp initiates a send/receive request to your phone. But, when open Whatsapp, it depends on the WP-initiated transfer request, which may be slower.

That aside, I think each time they update Whatsapp, something or the other gets screwed up. With the latest update, I can't see older messages if I scroll up on a particular chat.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 20:05   #791
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,339
Thanked: 14,172 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

If the Lumia 720 is released around 20K, it will be my next phone. I was considering 620, but lack of Gorilla glass is a deal breaker for me.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 20:34   #792
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If the Lumia 720 is released around 20K, it will be my next phone. I was considering 620, but lack of Gorilla glass is a deal breaker for me.
I doubt if the Lumia 720 would come with the gorilla glass. Even my Lumia 820 doesn't have it.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 21:12   #793
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,339
Thanked: 14,172 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I doubt if the Lumia 720 would come with the gorilla glass. Even my Lumia 820 doesn't have it.
Why do you doubt it when official specs on Nokia site and gsmarena confirms the presence of Gorilla glass 2?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 22:01   #794
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I doubt if the Lumia 720 would come with the gorilla glass. Even my Lumia 820 doesn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why do you doubt it when official specs on Nokia site and gsmarena confirms the presence of Gorilla glass 2?
Interesting. May be Nokia realized the necessity of Gorilla glass after hearing numerous issues of broken screen on 820. And it costs around 8k to replace the 820's screen!
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 23:27   #795
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why do you doubt it when official specs on Nokia site and gsmarena confirms the presence of Gorilla glass 2?
Oops! My bad. I thought only the Lumia 920 had it.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Care App for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone users PCS The Indian Car Scene 53 4th May 2016 11:49
Copying large number of folders from windows XP to windows 7 laptop tsk1979 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 18th June 2010 22:47
new lease of life to my windows mobile 2003 phone androdev Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 7th March 2008 14:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks