Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 20:31   #931
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: World
Posts: 772
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I suddenly noticed, there is a small gap in the bottom of my Lumia 720. Is this normal ? The gap is between glass and white pannel.
What should I do?
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 21:09   #932
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,218
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default

There is no gap anywherre in the 720. Did you drop it anywhere?
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 21:12   #933
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: World
Posts: 772
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

No. I use it pretty carefully ! What should be the course of action for me now ?
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 21:54   #934
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,218
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default

First I suggest you to compare your phone with some online image of the 720 and see if they look the same. Else take it to the nokia care center to get it refitted back. I think a part of the panel has come off its locks.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 22:00   #935
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,218
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default

Here are some images for your reference. Mods sorry for the back to back posts as I am posting using the Android app.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130526_220021.png
Views: 392
Size:  376.4 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20130526_220030.png
Views: 393
Size:  386.9 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20130526_220044.png
Views: 390
Size:  392.2 KB
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 12:27   #936
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: World
Posts: 772
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I can't really make out of the pics. You have to see the phone at certain angle, and hold it really close. Then only I found out the defect. I just hope there isn't any defect on your one.
BTW i checked online, some of the indian customers had similar defect, couple of persons got a replacement too ! Need to take the phone to care center.
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 17:44   #937
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Is there a way to download the Drive maps via PC and load it onto the phone?
I don't have a wi-fi nearby and I cannot use the phone data plan to download MBs of data (too unreliable).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 18:02   #938
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is there a way to download the Drive maps via PC and load it onto the phone?
I don't have a wi-fi nearby and I cannot use the phone data plan to download MBs of data (too unreliable).
You could try sending the file to your phone via Bluetooth though I doubt if that will work.

Edit: Oh I completely forgot about this. If your PC has an internet connection, then just connect your phone to the PC and start download on the phone. It will use the PC's internet connection.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 18:37   #939
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You could try sending the file to your phone via Bluetooth though I doubt if that will work.

Edit: Oh I completely forgot about this. If your PC has an internet connection, then just connect your phone to the PC and start download on the phone. It will use the PC's internet connection.
Are you sure this Internet pass through (HTC android terminology) or Reverse tethering (generic android terminology) happens on Windows Phone?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 19:08   #940
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are you sure this Internet pass through (HTC android terminology) or Reverse tethering (generic android terminology) happens on Windows Phone?
Holy cow. I just discovered that this thing doesn't work on WP8, where as it did on WP 7/7.5. MS is really going backwards with their OS, aren't they?

Edit: Does your PC have a wireless networking card in it? If it does then there is a work around to share your PC's internet connection with the wireless adaptor and use that network to create a mini wireless connection for your phone.

Edit 2: I just tried the above work around and it works.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th May 2013 at 19:22.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:54   #941
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Holy cow. I just discovered that this thing doesn't work on WP8, where as it did on WP 7/7.5. MS is really going backwards with their OS, aren't they?

Edit: Does your PC have a wireless networking card in it? If it does then there is a work around to share your PC's internet connection with the wireless adaptor and use that network to create a mini wireless connection for your phone.

Edit 2: I just tried the above work around and it works.
To a certain extent they are indeed!
Perhaps some smarty pants in their team probably rolled his/her eyes and said something like: "gah! does anyone actually use wired internet on their desktop these days?"

I don't have any wireless networking card :'(
Looks like I will have to thieve some innocent wi-fi connection in my vicinity.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:02   #942
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Looks like I will have to thieve some innocent wi-fi connection in my vicinity.
It's easier to get an inexpensive Wi-Fi USB adaptor.

Take you pick.

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...6-823b1403e150
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:08   #943
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
It's easier to get an inexpensive Wi-Fi USB adaptor.

Take you pick.

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...6-823b1403e150
You mean using this I can broadcast a wi-fi signal from my PC, and utilize the wired internet connected to PC for use over the wi-fi?
Kind of wifi hotspot?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:26   #944
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You mean using this I can broadcast a wi-fi signal from my PC, and utilize the wired internet connected to PC for use over the wi-fi?
Kind of wifi hotspot?
Yes. This will be like a reverse WiFi hotspot for your phone from your PC.

Edit: This WiFi hot spot can be used by other devices also and not only your phone.

Last edited by vikram_d : 29th May 2013 at 14:49.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 15:20   #945
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,344
Thanked: 14,177 Times
Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You mean using this I can broadcast a wi-fi signal from my PC, and utilize the wired internet connected to PC for use over the wi-fi?
Kind of wifi hotspot?
Yeah, this is very common. Your PC or laptop needs to have wifi ability. Connectify is one of the most popular utility for this purpose. My kid's iPad (wifi only) and my phone gets Internet through my PC using this method.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Care App for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone users PCS The Indian Car Scene 53 4th May 2016 11:49
Copying large number of folders from windows XP to windows 7 laptop tsk1979 Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 18th June 2010 22:47
new lease of life to my windows mobile 2003 phone androdev Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 7th March 2008 14:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks