Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th June 2013, 15:24   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
People having issues with the Airtel network should try changing the phones network from 3G to 2G and check if that helps. I have a suspicion that this is a problem with Airtel's 3G network.
I specifically selected 2G ever since I bought the phone, I don't intend to use Airtel 3G ever ...

I can see a lot of people do indeed face the same problem.
Looks like Windows has goofed once again on basic telephone features! (reconnect to the provider when signal comes back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Same problem I've faced, when using Vodafone. Though the phone is a samsung focus with windows 7.5. Also, apart from the network disappearing the phone kept loosing the data connection.
In either case, restarting the phone didn't help had to manually search for the network and choose vodafone, and that worked 2/5 times. Replaced the sim card with a new one as the old hutch one was 9 years old but the problem persisted. Saw a similar problem with my cousins Lumia running windows 8, so I switched to android.

Have been using the phone with idea sim since, and surprisingly haven't faced any problem either with the network or data.

Edit: have faced the network problem with data switched off too.
IF you/anyone else come across this problem, can you also try with airplane mode trick?

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th June 2013 at 15:29.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 15:47   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Looks like Windows has goofed once again on basic telephone features! (reconnect to the provider when signal comes back)
I don't think that this is a Windows problem, because if it was we would have the whole world screaming about it.

My wife's HTC 8X had this problem and we isolated this problem to the SIM card. For her phone the shop guy said that her full size SIM card could be cut to a micro-SIM. After she started facing this problem, I got her a proper new Micro-SIM from Airtel and she hasn't had any problems till date.

So a question to people who are facing network issues. Did you get the full size SIM card cut or did you get a new micro-SIM?
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 15:55   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that this is a Windows problem, because if it was we would have the whole world screaming about it.

My wife's HTC 8X had this problem and we isolated this problem to the SIM card. For her phone the shop guy said that her full size SIM card could be cut to a micro-SIM. After she started facing this problem, I got her a proper new Micro-SIM from Airtel and she hasn't had any problems till date.

So a question to people who are facing network issues. Did you get the full size SIM card cut or did you get a new micro-SIM?
I applied for a new micro SIM.
The airtel idiots issued a new macro SIM and chopped it to micro SIM proportion.
There is an entertaining read about this here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3163084 (Is Airtel Nationalised?)

So are you sure it was a proper Micro SIM?

The reason I generalized it being a Windows problem is because even earlier versions of Windows phone have this problem (as reported on this thread)
Old 28th June 2013, 15:57   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So are you sure it was a proper Micro SIM?
Yes I'm sure it was a proper Micro-SIM because it came with the complete plastic backing card (or what ever that thing is called).
Old 1st July 2013, 17:53   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I have solved the problem.
Settings>Mobile Network>Network selection = Automatic

Problem solved.
On a trip to Delhi about a month ago, I was playing around with the phone, and trying to select a non Airtel roaming network. I came back to Pune, and selected Airtel manually.
Forgot about this until this weekend, when it struck me that I had basically told the phone to try to connect to a specified network. Perhaps if it doesn't get the signal it doesn't make any effort to reconnect (unless prompted manually again).

Changed this back to automatic - and I have not faced the problem again.
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:54   #1042
BHPian

Guys,
How is the Nokia Lumia 900? In Us there is an offer for A T& T unlocked phone . It is available for $ 160 , ie about Rs 10k. Current price here is Rs30k.
And will the phone work in India.
Thanks in advance
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:01   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Guys,
How is the Nokia Lumia 900? In Us there is an offer for A T& T unlocked phone . It is available for $ 160 , ie about Rs 10k. Current price here is Rs30k.
And will the phone work in India.
Thanks in advance
att in US works on GSM, so you check the bands supported. If quad band should work.

However 160$ does sound fishy. Are you sure there is no contract to be signed?
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 09:51   #1044
BHPian

Hi guys,
There's a question for the Lumia 520 owners. Does the phone heat a lot due to internet use or while using maps? Say in comparison other to the other lumias such as the 620?
shreyan_k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:18   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When I got 710 last year, the shop owner cut my SIM. He used a special cutter, and I have the outer part still (to be used on my old phone if this one goes bad). No problems till date.

I think that unless you use a specialized cutter, the micro SIM may be cut to a smaller size, hence the contact will be shifting creating problems.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:57   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
When I got 710 last year, the shop owner cut my SIM. He used a special cutter, and I have the outer part still (to be used on my old phone if this one goes bad). No problems till date.

I think that unless you use a specialized cutter, the micro SIM may be cut to a smaller size, hence the contact will be shifting creating problems.
They used a specialized cutter itself, but they still botched up the SIM card. They didn't align it properly in the cutter.
Old 9th July 2013, 19:13   #1047
BHPian

Guys, Temple Run is now available for Windows phones. Go, grab them. I am a bit contended now getting a Windows phone.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 19:17   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Hi guys,
There's a question for the Lumia 520 owners. Does the phone heat a lot due to internet use or while using maps? Say in comparison other to the other lumias such as the 620?
It heats up a bit,but not much to cause any discomfort to the device or the user.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:57   #1049
Team-BHP Support

Nokia Flagship phone 1020 announced finally

http://www.gsmarena.com/official_nok...-news-6364.php
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 22:11   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Hi guys,
Slightly. When bought it used to heat a lot but now it has reduced substantially on its own.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote