Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th February 2009, 08:25   #16
BHPian

Eh. I am confused.
Once u say "I've bought a Sony ..."
And then you say "Thanx for saving my 20K bucks."
So was the LT bought during your 1st post or you were going to buy?

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th February 2009 at 16:00. Reason: gng = going. Please type in full words.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 15:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

He probably won the auction and then suspected a scam.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 01:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Not always true. eBay is very particular that items should be bought only off their site. As a thumb rule, it is better never to buy expensive items through eBay unless the seller is a Power Seller and has excellent (995 and above) feedback.
I agree that one should avoid buying expensive items from ebay in the first place but there are times when you may find something good at a tempting price. If you pay the person cash and do it offline, this would save the seller his fees and its really a no-brainer why the seller would not accept it (except for loss of feedback). If he does say no, you should walk away.

Ebay would obviously want all transactions to take place on ebay so they can get their fees. They don't really give a damn if a buyer/seller gets scammed. I've bought a few things by seeing them on ebay and then paying the seller cash offline.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 07:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

aankhein khol di? That dude's shut shop - this is a lucky break for you. It says:
"No longer a registered user

phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 09:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I demand a treat! Or a gift!
Old 8th February 2009, 18:34   #21
BHPian

Hi Guys,
A bit off topic but similar !
Is this look a genuine seller ?
Suppersinc Electronics Shopping Plaza - Home

I have not traded anything but just asking your views.
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 13:25   #22
BHPian

Supposedly another fraud website

Some tips to check the website:
  1. They dont use PayPal / PaisaPay
  2. Mostly money transfer will be in these ways
    • Western Union - Money Transfer
    • Money Gram
    • Email asking you to send bank details, Credit Card no. etc.
      Never send sensitive personal or financial information through email.
    • Unsecured Forms to put Credit Card no.(Usually non fraud websites have SSL security that is HTTPS,a lock sign can be seen on the bottom right of the browser window when filling the form and should always be checked)
  3. The items on their websites/ listings are usually very cheap , sometimes half of their market value like you will see a ad of brand new 42 inch branded Plasma TV for Rs. 10k~15K!. which is not possible in any sense
  4. Incase of Ebay,
    check the seller, his feedback (but this may not be true in some ..well many cases where they build up their feedback by selling CD's etc)
    Also always use PaisaPay/ Paypal for transactions in Ebay
  5. Don't follow links in an email asking for sensitive personal or account information, even if it looks like the source is one you know.
  6. Ask questions. If you're suspicious, call the company that the email appears to be from and ask if it's legitimate.
  7. Install anti-virus software on your computer and keep it up-to-date. Anti-virus programs help protect your computer against most viruses, worms, and Trojans that can infect your computer and sell your senstive information
  8. Download and use a pop-up blocker from a legitimate source. Some pop-up ads could contain viruses or other harmful software that can record your keystrokes or relay other information to another source.
  9. Equip your computer with either a software firewall or a hardware firewall. A firewall will allow you to limit unauthorized access to your computer.
  10. Scan your computer for spyware regularly. Spyware is a computer program which can be installed on personal computers, usually without your permission, which may collect information about your website activity and send it back to another source.
  11. Only keep your internet connection active when you are using it.
  12. Never share your PIN, account number, or password.
  13. Do not open email attachments unless you can trust the source.
  14. Never access sensitive information from Internet cafes, public libraries, etc.

A fraud website will always have some loopholes and you will have you need to find the odd thing out,and always use common sense while buying no matter how hard people/ companies try to tell you but you can never get a brand new Sony PSP for 2k

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 16th February 2009 at 13:32. Reason: Addition of new Pointers
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 15:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007
Unsecured Forms to put Credit Card no.(Usually non fraud websites have SSL security that is HTTPS,a lock sign can be seen on the bottom right of the browser window when filling the form and should always be checked)
Doesn't make a difference. The SSL is to weed out man-in-the-middle attacks. It doesn't mean the site is trustworthy, just that the connection between you and the site is encrypted and nobody in between can snoop on the traffic.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Doesn't make a difference. The SSL is to weed out man-in-the-middle attacks. It doesn't mean the site is trustworthy, just that the connection between you and the site is encrypted and nobody in between can snoop on the traffic.
Yes, That is true, but mostly scammer's website forms do not have encryption, so it may be a factor that you do not fill forms until they are SSL encrypted
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 10:44   #25
BHPian

Default Can anyone authenticate this seller on craigslist?

Hi,

I came across a classified in craigslist offering to ship a 3G iphone at 250$. The seller is based in England. Here are his details. Is there anyone based in England or has friends in England who can who can verify the authenticity of the seller? Here are the details of the mail I received from him when I asked him how can I here in Bangalore India be sure that I will get the item from England after having made the payment?

The Apple iphone 3g 16gb is brand new,sealed and comes with 1 year warranty and also a 30 days return policy. We are a legit and registered company. You can verify us on (Company credit reports and Companies House accounts on all UK and International Ltd Companies with free company information, free company searches and director searches | UK Data Ltd)
:

GLOBAL ELECTRONICS LIMITED
35 ROBJOHNS ROAD
CHELMSFORD,
CM1 3AG
United Kingdom

Get back to me with your total units of purchase and your full delivery address so we can commence

Full Name ..................
Country ....................
State .......................
Address ....................
Postal code ..................
Phone Number .................

Place your order Now
Regards
Almond Scott
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 13:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

triedeverything,

Craigslist has one main rule that needs to be followed in order to avoid scams :
Quote:
DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
Read the rest here : craigslist | about > scams

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote