Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 12th February 2009, 18:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Going back to the original subject of this thread.
Mavneet, you need to check these from Onkyo - I loved the sound.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA
CS325

In my opinion, Onkyo is really value for money.
For the price these sell at, you can do a lot better. For under 15 grand, the system that does duty in my bedroom - A pair of Jamo E700 bookshelves and a Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amp (purchased used) will absolutely murder them.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 18:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

A humble suggestion about speakers.

@Manveet, would these work size-wise? Although bigger than sats, they are pretty small bookshelves. Not much snob value, I guess. 2 spkrs are sub would cost around 30K.

Avant 902i / Avant 900i / Products / Mordaunt Short

Avant 309i Subwoofer / Avant 900i / Products / Mordaunt Short

OR
Avant Architect home cinema / Mordaunt Short
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 18:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

^^These are good speakers for the price one pays though a bit bass shy.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For the price these sell at, you can do a lot better. For under 15 grand, the system that does duty in my bedroom - A pair of Jamo E700 bookshelves and a Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amp (purchased used) will absolutely murder them.
You can't compare new prices with used prices :-)
Onkyo recievers are really VFM - it's their speakers which aren't really up to the mark.

Changing topics a little, I think it's always better to go for bookshelves or floor stuff, rather than the tiny speakers.
You don't neccessarily need to keep the bookshelf speakers on a bookshelf.

Last edited by carboy : 12th February 2009 at 19:02.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 19:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
  • My Dad is an IIT'ian, I'd need more than hearsay to convince him that Bose isn't the best thing out there at that price point.
Also being of the same alumnus, and having used KEFs, Celestions, Wharfedales, Scotts, Cerwin Vegas and some more, I finally stayed with Bose 901s.
My main system has been the 901s for the last three decades! Started with Series III and now with Series VI.
Second system is the Bose AM5s. The KEFs and the Cerwin Vegas stand retired from service. I do still have the drivers with me somewhere!

As for convincing, LOL, no one should have to be 'convinced' by external force or manipulation! Let the ears decide. Buy whatever your ears ask of you!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 20:47   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Also being of the same alumnus, and having used KEFs, Celestions, Wharfedales, Scotts, Cerwin Vegas and some more, I finally stayed with Bose 901s.
My main system has been the 901s for the last three decades! Started with Series III and now with Series VI.
Second system is the Bose AM5s. The KEFs and the Cerwin Vegas stand retired from service. I do still have the drivers with me somewhere!

As for convincing, LOL, no one should have to be 'convinced' by external force or manipulation! Let the ears decide. Buy whatever your ears ask of you!
I think it is partly brand value and partly the product's quality. I auditioned by uncle's Bose CD player (small boom box type) and it did sound really good. No settings (bass/EQ etc) whatsoever.

I think Bose markets itself very well, like Sony does. I feel Panasonic is better than the equivalent Sony mostly but still Indians buy only a Sony.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 10:04   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Marantz CD6002, Marantz PM7001, Quad 12L2 or Epos M5.
Is that all a lac will buy. I thought a Quad sub, Quad 11L, and NAD/Rotel would fit that budget.

35-45K for the amp
30-35K for the 11L
30-40K for the sub.

Quote:
Makes sense, but then a 7" bookshelf would be our last option.
If you cannot fit a 7" bookshelf (about 20 liters) then a 5" bookshelf (about 10 liters) and a sub is an option. Let the sub manage everything under 80Hz or so and with some experimentation you will find a location for the sub where localizing it is not obvious.

Quote:
just in case I decide to listen to some AC/DC )
My wife had a pair of Monitor Audio Silver something bookshelves. When my son inherited them he need a sub to cater to his needs (MTV stuff like black eyed peas etc..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
You WANT cubes fine. go to polk audio and get yourself cubes.
Gallo or Monitor Audio cubes sound better.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 10:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is that all a lac will buy. I thought a Quad sub, Quad 11L, and NAD/Rotel would fit that budget.

35-45K for the amp
30-35K for the 11L
30-40K for the sub.
You forgot the source . That is easily another 30 grand.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You forgot the source . That is easily another 30 grand.

I was thinking 5-10k for this. Dad will use his CD's and I will connect my iPod to the Line-in. What brands do you suggest for the Source? Pioneer, Onkyo, others ?

As I am in office today, will make a detailed post on this thread tonight wherein will summarize what I have understood thus far. I intend to visit Khan Market etc. tomorrow with a summary sheet from this thread, collating all the information you guys have been kind to share, including Model Names, Nos., Dealers, etc. If all goes well with auditioning etc., Dad and I will make the purchase on Sunday.

In case somebody from Delhi wants to give me company tomorrow, and help guide me, it will be my pleasure. And please PM me your Cell Nos., SK456, Navin ji, ReignOfChaos, Thad, and others .. in case I have some quick queries, hope I can give you a Buzz.

p.s.
Random thought: Mum is returning from London on Tuesday/Wednesday, I can ask her to get something in case it is not available here in India.

Last edited by manveet : 13th February 2009 at 10:55.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 11:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

^^Don't bother with UK. It is as expensive as India or maybe even more. You'll get entry level cd players from 15k. But then they are just that - entry level. PM'ing you my cellphone number though I may not be able to help with where you can buy the stuff in Delhi.

For source, your options are pretty much Marantz/Cambridge Audio/NAD.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th February 2009 at 11:16.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:52   #86
BHPian

I heard the monitor audio cubes at a friends place sometime ago he's moved out now. they are nice and crisp but will they fit his budget?
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:02   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^Don't bother with UK. It is as expensive as India or maybe even more. You'll get entry level cd players from 15k. But then they are just that - entry level. PM'ing you my cellphone number though I may not be able to help with where you can buy the stuff in Delhi.

For source, your options are pretty much Marantz/Cambridge Audio/NAD.
UK is much cheaper than India especially with the current 70RS:1 exchange rate if you know where to look. If you are going to trawl around Selfridges, John Lewis, Currys, Comet etc then you will pay silly prices. Go to Richer Sounds, Superfi etc and you can get amps, cd players and speakers for decent prices.

A Marantz CD6002 can be had for the equivalent of less than RS16K in the UK. The CD5003 can be had for under the equivalent of RS11K. For peace of mind make sure they come with a world wide warranty.

Take a look yourself :

www.richersounds.com

Superfi Online

There are plenty of Richer Sounds branches in and around London as well.

Last edited by bigman : 13th February 2009 at 16:20.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 17:31   #88
BHPian

Quote:

In case somebody from Delhi wants to give me company tomorrow, and help guide me, it will be my pleasure. And please PM me your Cell Nos., SK456, Navin ji, ReignOfChaos, Thad, and others .. in case I have some quick queries, hope I can give you a Buzz.

Would love to go audio hunting but I am abroad at the moment so cant help you there now. P.S- there really are not many outlets in Delhi. Audio in delhi realy sucks. You could pay a visit to A2V at city selct just to get a feel of what high end should sound like.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 18:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
UK is much cheaper than India especially with the current 70RS:1 exchange rate if you know where to look. If you are going to trawl around Selfridges, John Lewis, Currys, Comet etc then you will pay silly prices. Go to Richer Sounds, Superfi etc and you can get amps, cd players and speakers for decent prices.

A Marantz CD6002 can be had for the equivalent of less than RS16K in the UK. The CD5003 can be had for under the equivalent of RS11K. For peace of mind make sure they come with a world wide warranty.

Take a look yourself :

www.richersounds.com

Superfi Online

There are plenty of Richer Sounds branches in and around London as well.

Carrying a CD player is fine. But carrying the rest would really be a pain won't it because of the weight and customs hassles? This seems like really good deal

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR-740C-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

CA 740C for 299 pounds is damn nice.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Carrying a CD player is fine. But carrying the rest would really be a pain won't it because of the weight and customs hassles? This seems like really good deal

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR-740C-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

CA 740C for 299 pounds is damn nice.
Yes true about carrying everything but a CD player is easy enough to carry and they are not too heavy. Using the Feb 2009 customs exchange rates you can carry about 360 of items duty free (RS25,000). So I guess thats 1 decent amp or 1 decent cd player.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote