Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th February 2009, 00:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
@Zappo: How do we get a new BSNL broadband connection, I dont have a BSNL landline? I went to the BSNl site, I couldn't find much info.
Its actually very simple. You go to BSNL office. Find out under which exchange your residence rolls up. Go there. Take a simple form. Fill it up with some small proofs. Pay them 500 bucks. Thats it. Within 2-4 days they will provide you a connection. Then you apply for a broadband connection for that telephone number. For this you can just call up 1800-424-1600. Its a toll free number and they accept applications for broadband. You do not sign any forms or do anything else. All the initial payments will be adjusted in the first bill.

Now, to begin with, for the 500 bucks they provided me an absolutely sufi phone. It is laden with features like address book, handsfree, CLI, programmable keys, call register and what not.

My experience with BSNL from the day I applied for the phone till today has been extremely satisfying. Its better than what I have seen with many private ops. Yes, if the line man lands up at your doorstep he will dabaao some money form you. But that is again at your discretion. But otherwise also the service is great.

Recently when the Net outage occured across India after a sea cable broke my connection speed also went down. It just never improved for a month. Then I started lodging complains with 1500. Although they apparently solved it every time I lodged a complain I never saw an improvement. So I relodged the complain everytime. After this happened a few times I guess some SLA triggered somewhere for repeat complains. One fine morning I got a call from a gentleman, presumably a very senior guy from BSNL. He spoke in chaste english and asked me what the problem exactly is. To my surprise he understood all the technical aspects that I told him about (latency in the pings, missing packets etc.). I also told him about how futile it is call them up as nothing seems to move. He apologized to me and said... hold your breathe... "I agree sir. Our guys are a little thick skinned. But let me see, I will talk to the JTO about your problem". Voila! Within the same afternoon everything got sorted out magically. In between I got a volley of calls from linemen, technicians, JTO's office and god knows from where else. At 4pm the JTO's office finally called and said that they had to replace 500 meters of underground cabling near my colony to rectify the problem but now its all ok. Sure enough since that day my net is once again flying. And I did not pull any strings anywhere. I am charmed.

By the way, I opted for 500 C+ connection under which BSNL gives me 2.5 gb free per month at 2 mbps speed. At nights it is unmetered. And it is better than unlimited plan with 256 kbps speed. Believe me. I and my wife use VPN to connect to our respective office networks and many a times work from home. Besides my wife listens to streaming music etc. And at nights its heavy downloads time. Still I manage easily with this plan.

And the final icing on the cake is the cost. The actual charge is 600 per month for this plan. But BSNL gives me 20% discount under some scheme and hence I end up paying a paltry 500 odd rupees for such a high speed net connection. For me this is THE Plan.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 04:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Its actually very simple. You go to BSNL office. Find out under which exchange your residence rolls up. Go there. Take a simple form. Fill it up with some small proofs. Pay them 500 bucks. Thats it. Within 2-4 days they will provide you a connection. Then you apply for a broadband connection for that telephone number. For this you can just call up 1800-424-1600. Its a toll free number and they accept applications for broadband. You do not sign any forms or do anything else. All the initial payments will be adjusted in the first bill.
Clear as crystal, thanks a lot for the indepth write up. I have to find where Madhapur exchange is located.
romyeo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 08:39   #63
Team-BHP Support

You are lucky zappo. In Noida when my phone line went dead, I went to exchange every day to log complaint. Then after 5 days line was working but no internet. Then I called 1500 every day and 1 out of 50 times somebody would answer my call. Finally I had to go to exchange, find out a lineman, pay 100rs and get the net fixed.
When airtel came, I switched in a jiffy!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 17:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

@Zappo- Nice write up. Crystal clear. But am not able to dial that 1800 number. any code before that or something? Moment i dial 1800 it gives engaged tone.
@tsk- Same story as mine. Airtel has not given any such problem till date. Been 5 years and more.

Am still searching for a 1mbps or 2mbps night unlimited plan for any provider. Guys help!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 18:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are lucky zappo. In Noida when my phone line went dead, I went to exchange every day to log complaint. Then after 5 days line was working but no internet. Then I called 1500 every day and 1 out of 50 times somebody would answer my call. Finally I had to go to exchange, find out a lineman, pay 100rs and get the net fixed.
When airtel came, I switched in a jiffy!
similar experience, that too recently. BSNL Broadband went down. Called 1500 and registered a complaint. Called up every day, no use. Got an Engineer's number and when i call up, somebody picks up and says, the guy has gone on leave, call up after 3 days. Decided on canceling conneciton

Next Day, call up airtel at 9.30 in the morning. The guy turns up at 10.30 at home and finishes formality. 2 days later i have a new connection up and running.
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 02:56   #66
BHPian

Arrow Protest Airtel's 'Fair' Usage Policy!!!

A few of us are trying to get a petition going to protest Airtel's new Fair Usage Policy, vide which all unlimited plans would be halved once they reach a particular cap (e.g. if you have a 512kbps UL connection, after 40GB, your connection will become 256kbps!!)

Do sign the petition at:
Airtel Broadband “Fair Usage Policy” Protest Petition

And of course there is more to read there in case you want more info first.

Please do spread the word!!!

(Mods, I would appreciate it if you could put an announcement on the main page / make this thread a sticky).

p.s. important - some people seem to not be getting confirmation e-mails... this 99% means that it is going in your spam folder. Please check there. It will come from: "Airtel Fair Usage Policy Petition" with the subject tag: Petition: Confirm your signing of the petition 'Airtel Fair Usage Policy'
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Already signed it. Good luck to all fellow Airtel users.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:54   #68
BHPian

Signed it, and it appears that Airtel is not going to change it's policy, ask them for the reasons, you will laugh like anything by their lame excuses.
romyeo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

I had a horrifying time with BSNL! i had it for couple of months and through out i had issues which never got fixed...i have no count on how many times i complained.
then talking to this guy..that lady man was painful!

Then finally our phone went dead fora month and never came back to life. luckily got Airtel on time

I wont want to go back to BSNL until its the last option on earth
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:40   #70

I'm completely outraged about this stupid FUP. To show my anger, this is what I've done.

I've sent a mail to the following,
sbm@bharti.com (Sunil Mittal, Chairman), ceo.direct@bharti.com, manoj.kohli@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Airtel), atul.bindal@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Telemedia, the subsidiary that offers broadband services)

The content of the mail is here - I blogged about it, so that others may know too.
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive Airtel’s Speed Rationalization - Facebook-ToS-style goof-up!

If someone asks you how this FUP is really affecting anyone, use this example to clear all doubts.
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive Airtel’s ‘Fair Usage’, Speed Rationalization explained!

And, here's what Airtel's Speed Rationalization *really* means!
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive The real meaning of Airtel’s letter on Speed Rationalization!

Spread the word - Airtel better not get their success to their heads. Collectively we can bring them down to a level they deserve.
inetk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 09:29   #71
BHPian

Default Tata Indicom launches Fair Usage Policy

Now Tata Indicom aswell!

Tata Indicom launches Fair Policy
After Airtel Broadband, it is the turn of Tata Indicom to launch its own fair usage policy.
The company states that if the user goes beyond a set limit, the company would suggest him to move to a higher bandwidth plan.
If the customer continues to remain in violation of the fair usage policy, the company reserves the right to suspend or terminate the customer’s account immediately.
We have to admit that the limits set by Tata Indicom are somewhat generous compared to Airtel Broadband… but they still are unfair.
The limits set by the company are:
64kbps: 5GB
128kbps: 20GB
256kbps: 45GB
384kbps: 70GB
512kbps: 80GB
1mbps: 90GB
2mbps: 105GB
4mbps: 125GB

Source: Tata Indicom launches Fair Usage Policy
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 18:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

@Raja- Atleast download limit is more than Airtel but this is really getting worse. Cant understand which service provider to opt for now.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 19:17   #73
BHPian

Mods, the way the market is changing, can we have the title changed to reflect Tata Indicom's change?
What are the chances of BSNL follwoing as well? (I am thinking of switching to them)
Old 7th March 2009, 08:49   #74
BHPian

Default Airtel Revises Fair Usage Policy

Airtel now has slightly more generous under Fair Usage Policy.
Airtel seems to have taken on Tata Indicom by offering somewhat generous limits under their Fair Usage Policy.
Both Airtel and Tata have applied their own Fair Usage Policy on the users of their unlimited plans.
Airtel however has these limits in certain areas. Tata seems to have applied it all over India.
Airtel seems to have updated the data transfer limits on their unlimited plans…
New limits are as under as per their website:
1 mbps till 100GB, 512 kbps beyond 100GB
512 kbps till 100GB, 256 kbps beyond 100GB
384 kbps till 75GB, 256 kbps beyond 75GB
256 kbps till 50GB, 128 kbps beyond 50GB

Source: Airtel now has slightly more generous limits under Fair Usage Policy
Old 7th May 2009, 19:54   #75
Team-BHP Support

This FUP is happening everywhere in the world. And for a valid reason.

The Internet sky really is falling - Network World
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote