Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th March 2009, 16:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy How to block my stolen cellphone from being used ?

My Nokia phone was stolen when I was travelling on BMTC bus. Now I want to block the phone from being used by anyone forever.
How can I do that ? Please provide the step-by-step procedures.

I was using a prepaid Airtel SIM and I know that I can block the SIM by submitting an application to Airtel. I've heard that the phone can be blocked forever by using the IMEI number.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:25   #2
BHPian

I don't think you can do much apart from blocking the SIM, mobiles can't be locked to the best of my knowledge.

My wife lost her phone 2 days back, and the best we could do was, block the SIM.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:32   #3
A.R
BHPian

Call Airtel & request to bar the IMEI (the unique identificication number for your phone) This will ensure that regardless of the SIM put into your phone, it will not work.
A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Nokia phone was stolen when I was travelling on BMTC bus. Now I want to block the phone from being used by anyone forever.
How can I do that ? Please provide the step-by-step procedures.
  1. Buy a mobile phone, preferably same model.
  2. Get onto same BMTC bus, same time.
  3. Buy ticket.
  4. Keep a part of your mind focussed on the phone as you wait for it to be stolen again.
  5. Once you are aware that phone is being stolen, hold perpetrators hand and yell loudly for the bus to stop.
  6. Search perpetrator for previously stolen phone.
  7. Take previously stolen phone and place under BMTC bus tyres as it moves forward.
  8. Phone cannot be used by anyone ever again, therefore can be considered as blocked forever.
In case nothing happens after item 4, please start from point 1 again the next day till success is achieved. Good Luck and let us all know how it went.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th March 2009 at 16:47.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
  1. Take previously stolen phone and place under BMTC bus tyres as it moves forward.
  2. Phone is cannot be used by anyone ever again, therefore can be considered as blocked forever.
In case nothing happens after item 4, please start from point 1 again the next day till success is achieved.
LOL.
Look around for a building under construction.
Drop previous phone in wet cement (preferably in a column).
Consider phone literally blocked.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:50   #6
BHPian

Is there is IMEI blacklist database being maintained and used for Indian cellular operators.

I doubt it. Can someone confirm???
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

Call up your mobile operator and they will guide you, kinda sure you need to walk into the nearest cop station and file a complain.

Doable though.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Call up your mobile operator and they will guide you,.
It is yet not proven that thieves only use Airtel though some people can prove that Airtel are thieves.

Even if an IMEI blocking exists, you will have to call every mobile operator active in your city and hope that the thief does not use the mobile in another city.
Or even another country, if he is an important member of an international gang of mobile thieves.

My way is far more effective. lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
  1. Buy a mobile phone, preferably same model.
  2. Get onto same BMTC bus, same time.
  3. Buy ticket.
  4. Keep a part of your mind focussed on the phone as you wait for it to be stolen again.
  5. Once you are aware that phone is being stolen, hold perpetrators hand and yell loudly for the bus to stop.
  6. Search perpetrator for previously stolen phone.
  7. Take previously stolen phone and place under BMTC bus tyres as it moves forward.
  8. Phone cannot be used by anyone ever again, therefore can be considered as blocked forever.
In case nothing happens after item 4, please start from point 1 again the next day till success is achieved. Good Luck and let us all know how it went.

LOL sam too good.
Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting in bangalore now. I seriously want your job. This looks like fun even when you have important meetings.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 17:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Call Airtel & request to bar the IMEI (the unique identificication number for your phone) This will ensure that regardless of the SIM put into your phone, it will not work.
IMEI cannot be blocked by any telecom operator. They can, however, tell you which new number is using your phone now, where that phone is located (geographic presence) and the number of the user. Couple of conditions, though.
1. The thief should be using the same service provider SIM (if your phone was on Airtel, then the new SIM inserted by the thief should also be Airtel)
2. YOu have to get a police permission to put your phone on tracking mechanism or you should have a close friend working in the company.

In case the thief is using a different service provider, you can still trace it but it becomes overly difficult coordinating with multiple operators. You have to give them the IMEI number and they will then place that on track. All this is applicable if your phone is GSM and not CDMA.

Do two things definitely.
a. Get the SIM blocked by the service provider
b. File a complaint with the police and keep the FIR safe. Nowadays, the phone can be used for anything anti-social.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 17:29   #11
BHPian

Lodge a police complaint, mention the IMIE number of your phone in it. The cops are supposed to forward the IMIE number to most of the major mobile operator in your area, who in turn blocks the phone, if your phone is used with some other SIM. This will also help the cops in getting your phone back from the person who would use your phone in future.

I had lost my iphone and had to go through this process, however I have still not received my phone back. The chances of you getting your phone back is directly proportional to the efficiency of the investigating officer.

All the best.
major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 18:46   #12
BHPian

In most cases, cell operators do not co-operate although they can block the phone being used on their networks using the IMEI number. Reason is they do not want to be bothered by any activity which does not make money for them !! More seriously, they do not know which requests are genuine and which are not. For example, I can sell my cellphone to somebody and then claim that it is stolen and get it blocked ! Why on earth I would want to do that ? Hmmm, it takes all kinds, dosent it ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 18:48   #13
BHPian

Dont get your hopes up too high for IMEI blocking. IMEI number can be changed using software, though doing so is illegal.
Get your SIM card blocked, or if possible traced using the mobile company and the Police.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 01:21   #14
BHPian

My phone was stolen some months back and faced a lot of issues that time. So, I know the agony of loosing a phone. Well I tried everything from lodging the FIR with police to complaining to Airtel for blocking the IMEI number etc etc etc. And nothing really happened. Infact the constable who took down the report told to forget about it. Anyway, there's a way to atleast save your private and personal data on the mobile.

There's a new website called Wave Secure. https://www.wavesecure.com is their website. It's part of the bundled software with Nokia E-71. You need to install their software and register and put a phone number of someone else whom you trust and can contact easily. In case your phone gets stolen you can sms from "that" other number to your own phone and get the data deleted. Also you can do that from the website AND whenever a new SIM is inserted into your phone (Without the guy first formatting the entire O.S) the software sends the cell location/operator ID/phone number etc etc to the buddy's phone number which you had prefed into the software. I think this is just a precaution which we all can impliment. Right now Wavesecure is supporting almost these Nokia, Dopod, O2, Samsung, Palm, Sony Ericsson, HP, Motorola, Panasonic, HTC, Asus, Eten. And I'm guessing it supports both Symbian and Windows Mobile O.S. I've used only Nokia till now so no idea about Windows Mobile personally. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anirban.
NomadVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 02:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Blocking IMEI number is almost impossible in India, unless you have someone high up in the police department. The operators will not play ball, the customer executives will tell you there is no such possibility. Why, they will even tell you that you have to contact the manufacturer for disabling IMEI.

IMO, IMEI tracking is only used to by POLICE to crack terrorists, important cases etc. In Bangalore, you are shooed away from the police station if you go to file an FIR for a mobile theft, maybe you have better chance if it is an iphone or its ilk.

Last heard - A guy in Bangalore lost a mobile phone, along with other things. On filing an FIR, the Police swung into action and traced the SIM and gave it(only the SIM, mind you - No phone). HOW???
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote