Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default My Lenovo Lemon. Edit: Now Replaced Free

Due to MAJOR issues being faced with my Lenovo Laptop and the fact that folk at the Company simply aren’t helping me, I am penning my experience here. Even if it doesn't help me, I hope this thread will give people on this Forum an idea about Lenovo Product Quality, and the Customer Support that they offer.

I bought a Lenovo Y410 Laptop on 15th December 2007 (15 months ago). Till August 08, I was working in an IT Services firm that had provided me with an HP Laptop, because of which the Lenovo was hardly used – say about 2-3 hrs a week.

After I quit this IT Company in August to join the family Business, the Lenovo became my primary Laptop and has given me the following problems since then:

25th July : Optical Disk Drive (ODD) malfunctioning.

2nd August : Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Crashes
ODD replaced (1).
HDD replaced.

22nd October : ODD malfunctioning
ODD replaced (2).
I purchase Extended Warranty

3rd December : Keyboard Malfunctions
Keys removed and re-fixed.

6th January :
ODD malfunctioning.
ODD replaced (3).

9th February : ODD malfunctioning.
ODD replaced (4).

15th February
: Microphone not working
22nd February : Touchpad Not working
Touchpad Replaced. Still not working.
Microphone replaced. Still not working.
Touchpad Replaced again, now OS also reinstalled. Touchpad working.
Microphone replaced, still NOT working.

6th March : ODD malfunctioning.
ODD replaced (5). Problem Solved.

So, basically my ODD has been replaced 5 times in the past 8 months, and 3 times in the past 3 months. My microphone is STILL not working.

Apart from this my Laptop hangs every other day, there is a blue screen with the following message, which forces me to do a hard reboot.

Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  101.9 KB

The case has been escalated to Lenovo Care, and they have now stopped responding to my emails. I got a Feedback Form in my email from their Senior-VP, Customer Support – in which I gave VERY strong negative Feedback, but still nothing is happening.

I am asking for the Laptop to be replaced as problems were taking place in August itself, well within the warranty period. I bought the Onsite Extended Warranty BECAUSE I was facing problems in the first place. It is extremely inconvenient to call the Engineer every month for replacing the ODD. They just formatted my machine to get the Touchpad to work and now they want to format not only the OS, but other drives as well, so that they can get the Microphone to work !!!

I have now stopped using the Laptop for professional work due to its unpredictability and instability. I have purchased a Desktop for official use and the Lenovo Laptop is mostly lying at home.

What can I do so that someone from Lenovo listens to me and I get fairly compensated for the pain and inconvenience their Product Quality is causing me?

Last edited by manveet : 22nd March 2009 at 18:14.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:36   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

this time sadly its your ram.

Buy a transcend ram. which is quite cheaper now.

I did warned before about hp and lenovo. didn't i.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,599
Thanked: 6,684 Times
Default

Sorry to hear about your laptop woes. I was going to look at Lenovo when our Compaq died recently.

The compaq has a new lease of life, thanks to an independent repair company (Compaq's own agency said it was irreparable and a new motherboard would cost more than a new laptop) but once something starts to fail...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:43   #4
BHPian
 
motorheadinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: University of Bath
Posts: 282
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

This is what I had always feared when IBM sold their consumer PC division to Lenovo.
Consumer Online Resources & Empowerment Centre Register a complaint. I have heard that the consumer forum is doing a good job. Remember "Jago Grahak Jago" adverts on TV
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

The 3000 series laptops can never live up to the reputation of the thikpads. My friend's laptop also had problems from day 1.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:09   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
The 3000 series laptops can never live up to the reputation of the thikpads. My friend's laptop also had problems from day 1.
You can say that again. Those Thinkpads were workhorses, not a single problem - and I never felt the need for an extended warranty.

Between my Dad and I, we have used 3 Thinkpads in the last 6-7 years. He moved to the Sony Vaio 12" Laptop 2 years ago and I moved to Lenovo.

In case of the Lenovo, I paid for the extended warranty because of the problems that started during warranty. Add to that, I've already bought a Desktop simply because I'm sick of the Lenovo within a year.

I've had 3 ODD replacements in 3 months, and I use the ODD like once in 20-25 days!!!
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:13   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
This is what I had always feared when IBM sold their consumer PC division to Lenovo.
Consumer Online Resources & Empowerment Centre Register a complaint. I have heard that the consumer forum is doing a good job. Remember "Jago Grahak Jago" adverts on TV
Thanks, I just had a preliminary look at this. I'll definitely register a complaint there tomorrow itself.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:16   #8
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
You can say that again. Those Thinkpads were workhorses, not a single problem - and I never felt the need for an extended warranty.

Between my Dad and I, we have used 3 Thinkpads in the last 6-7 years. He moved to the Sony Vaio 12" Laptop 2 years ago and I moved to Lenovo.
I am surprised. Any reason why you dint choose a "Lenovo" Thinkpad when u planned for a lenovo?

I am using a Lenovo T61 since a year and zilch issues till now!
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Thats the most troubles I've ever seen anyone have with a 15 month old notebook. I used to think Lenovo is reliable too. A friend has a 4 year old Thinkpad thats still going strong.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:31   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,508
Thanked: 80,144 Times
Default

Quote:
I am using a Lenovo T61 since a year and zilch issues till now!
Ditto. I have a T61, R61 and about 30 Lenovo desktops in the office. I can vouch for their robustness; they really can take a lot of abuse and yet perform flawlessly. However, official Lenovo support is terrible (not a patch on Dell).

Manveet : Sorry to hear about your experience. Seems to be you got a lemon. Better you find an after-market specialist.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:43   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
A friend has a 4 year old Thinkpad thats still going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ditto. I have a T61, R61 and about 30 Lenovo desktops in the office.
I use a T41p and a X61 with 2GB of RAM. The T41p is about 4 years old and the X61 almost 2. no trouble expect for the fact that they do get slower as time goes on.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:50   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,278
Thanked: 18,770 Times
Default

You guys are using the Thinkpad versions I think. Manveet is using the Y-410 which is a non-thinkpad one and are nowhere near as good.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,378 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ditto. I have a T61, R61 and about 30 Lenovo desktops in the office.
In our office we have 6 or 7 Lenovo laptops and about 3 Lenovo Desktops. Honestly, we've never needed service or repair until a few weeks ago when one of them had a failed optical drive.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience - but I have always believed Lenovo computer products are fairly robust.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:37   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ditto. I have a T61, R61 and about 30 Lenovo desktops in the office. I can vouch for their robustness; they really can take a lot of abuse and yet perform flawlessly. (not a patch on Dell).
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I use a T41p and a X61 with 2GB of RAM. The T41p is about 4 years old and the X61 almost 2. no trouble expect for the fact that they do get slower as time goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
In our office we have 6 or 7 Lenovo laptops and about 3 Lenovo Desktops. Honestly, we've never needed service or repair until a few weeks ago when one of them had a failed optical drive.
Are you guys using the Thinkpad's or non-Thinkpads?

Even I am kind of shocked, one never expects these things to happen with a reputed brand like Lenovo. I mean, if they got so big they must be having a good product at the very least. But what is exasperating is the sheer callousness with which they are ignoring my emails and feedback forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manveet : Sorry to hear about your experience. Seems to be you got a lemon. Better you find an after-market specialist.
After-market specialists are not a problem, especially since my office is in Nehru Place. But the point is that why should I spend on extended warranty AND still have to bear the brunt - there is a huge opportunity cost attached to the time it takes to log complaints, entertain the service engineer, send my laptop for formatting, etc. This used to be my primary Laptop, not just another desktop in the office!

Heck, I went in for Onsite warranty (instead of Carry-in) despite the fact that my office is a 2 min walk, and home a 7 minute walk from their service centre!!

And what do you say to the fact that my Microphone is STILL not working and the Customer Service guys refuse to respond.

By evening, I'll post my emails to them along with their reply's, and a picture of the Service Order's that I have filed with me - the sheer no. is crazy.

Last edited by manveet : 23rd March 2009 at 14:39.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:42   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I am surprised. Any reason why you dint choose a "Lenovo" Thinkpad when u planned for a lenovo?
I had used 3 ThinkPads prior to this and gotten slightly bored with the black color and plain design. At the time I went i for the Y410, I really didn't think that there was much difference in a Lenovo "Thinkpad" and "regular" Lenovo.

I mean, now that they were both Lenovo's, I expected the same reliability that I was used to with my IBM Thinkpad. Guess I was wrong afterall.

:(
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: What to do if you are stuck with a lemon (Defective car) GTO On owning a car 42 31st August 2016 13:12
A lemon, my defective Maruti Kizashi. EDIT: Fed up & SOLD rockporiom Technical Stuff 180 17th August 2014 14:40
A Competent experience: Do 3 free services, get 4th free - Now honored! phamilyman Indian Car Dealerships 17 18th July 2009 19:27
1995 Cielo AT - Lemon or Project? determinus Modifications & Accessories 27 12th August 2008 20:50
Paid 32 lakh and got a lemon (320d) zakaaaaasss The Indian Car Scene 53 24th December 2007 10:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks