Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th April 2009, 23:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Sony e-Book...

one of my uncle is a book-worm & he is very interested in purchasing this e-book.though it is not avil.in india he is ready to source it from abroad.

Gurus pls let me know wether it is feasible to use in india.did any one from our T-bhp purchased?do pm me,have lot of douts.

For guys who are not aware what it is.pls go through this link:
PRS-505/LC | Reader Digital Book - Dark Blue | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 00:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll be watching this thread closely. Jenny is dying for one of those. Especially since you cannot buy German books in India.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ramsagar, I'm an avid reader, and I switched over to ebooks almost completely a few years ago. I've never used an ebook reader myself -- I use my phone to read the ebooks. I used to use a Windows Mobile phone (O2 XDA IIi, 3.5" screen, 320x240px res) earlier, and now I use my Nokia E90 (4" widescreen, 800x352px res).

Ebooks are generally available in .lit (MS Reader format), .PDF, .txt, .doc or .rtf, .pdb (can be read by Mobipocket Reader SW), .mobi (Mobipocket Reader SW), .htm or .opf (open package format, which will hopefully be the future standard). Then there are the proprietary formats like Amazon Kindle, which can be read only with the devices provided by the owner of the format (in this example, Amazon)

What I'm coming to is this: The ebook reader that you choose must be able to read the formats that are the most popular and the most available. Two of the most common formats are .lit (microsoft reader) and .PDF. The next most popular are .txt, .htm, .doc and .rtf. The Sony Reader seems to do most of these, with the exception of .lit.

To be totally future proof, and to take full advantage of the huge library of "freely" available ebooks out there on the Internet, I'd go for a PDA or a Phone that runs on Windows Mobile with the biggest screen possible in your budget. Software is available free of cost to read all the above formats. Of course, proprietary formats such as Amazon Kindle or Sony's proprietary format will not be supported.

As far as I know, there are no Ebook readers which support MS Lit, which is a very bad thing, and a huge loss for somebody who wants the widest possible library available to him/her.

For $300, the available screen size (in Windows Mobile & Symbian) will only be 2.8", but it is not that bad a size considering the pocketability. A 3.2" to 3.5" screen is quite good enough for a comfortable ebook reading experience.

If the size of the screen is a big concern, a bigger ebook reader maybe a good idea, but it will be a big additional device (ok, paperback size) to carry around.

In my case, portability is of the maximum importance. I do read for about an hour or so before I go to bed, but I read about as much daily while waiting in a queue, waiting to pick up my wife/mom after their purchases at the supermarket, or waiting to meet somebody.

I've mostly rambled on, but If you would like suggestions on a phone within a specific budget to read ebooks, I can make suggestions about options, considering screen size, ebook format compatibility, software needed and workarounds to some issues. I'm afraid I have no experience as such with ebook readers.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th April 2009 at 10:33.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 10:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Isnt it cheaper to buy a PDA GPS device in 100 USD - keep it charged in car, and read off it than buy a $300 device?

/sorry - ebook noob here
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 11:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@ramsagar, I'm an avid reader, and I switched over to ebooks almost completely a few years ago. I've never used an ebook reader myself -- I use my phone to read the ebooks. I used to use a Windows Mobile phone (O2 XDA IIi, 3.5" screen, 320x240px res) earlier, and now I use my Nokia E90 (4" widescreen, 800x352px res)...................
+1
I too use my mobireader software on my SE M600i and it works for me..
kunaldhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 11:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

I just bought my Asus P527 mobile as a replacement for my Kyocera 7135.

Reading e-books was the prime concern.

The problem with this new phone is that the key pad lights up when ever I use the wheel or mouse stick to go down the page. Auto Scroll is too fast.
Since I read in the night and the light is off this keypad lighting up is a big irritant.
So I simply keep half the phone inside the cover and then read.

IMHO the Kyocera Clam Shell design was very comfortable to read from.

Also, why don't they give an option to disable that flashing light that indicates the phone is ON.

Since my phone usage is very low, I simply switch it off in the night.
By low I mean that I am yet to exhaust the Rs 10 talktime that came with the new SIM .

Ask your uncle to buy a phone based e-book reader only after trying and reading from it, while in his most common reading position.
Since he cannot do that at the store, see if you can get someone who has the phone to lend it to him for a day.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 12:22   #7
BHPian

Why not asus/acer laptop 10.1" laptop for $300
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:36   #8
BHPian

I have the older Amazon Kindle model. See picture below.

Have been using it mostly while traveling. Good enough for most purpose. Now they have a newer version which seems to be much thinner and has more features. I may upgrade during my next trip to US. Meanwhile I can sell my current one for a bargain, if anybody is interested.

New one looks much better. See image below.

Last edited by appuchan : 6th April 2009 at 20:39.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

only problem is amazon doesn't yet have a model for delivering books on air outside US. in US it's nice to have your newspaper delivered every morning wirelessly.

oh well, I am not an avid book reader.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 00:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

this amazon thingy. does this read .pdf. and how much does the battery lasts. and cost?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 00:12   #11
BHPian

@Hydrashok,is it possible to convert some ebooks i have in compiled HTML format to pdf format?
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 09:07   #12
BHPian

I use the iPhone to read ebooks. Stanza is an amazing ebook reader.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 10:36   #13
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Like Hydra said, get a good phone with a large screen, istall your preferred reader in it, and you're set.
I use Mobipocket on the N73,N80 and Palm Tungsten T5.
The desktop software for Mobipocket is easy to use,and converts most formats to mobipocket file format(i forget the name)
The Ebook from sony is expensive, and does nothing else. I didnt think it was VFM.
There are plenty of sources for ebooks free of cost if you're willing to turn a blind eye on copyright issues
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 14:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
@Hydrashok,is it possible to convert some ebooks i have in compiled HTML format to pdf format?
Yep, possible.: Free download ABC Amber CHM Convertor, convert CHM documents to PDF, HTML, HLP, RTF, DOC, TXT

I use a discontinued tool from the same people for converting .lit to .html, and then use Mobipocket Creator to convert the .html to .mobi format which I can read on my E90. Too bad an MS Reader for Symbian does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I use the iPhone to read ebooks. Stanza is an amazing ebook reader.
This is nice, I didn't know there were Ebook readers available for the iPhone. Which formats do Stanza support? The iPhone has a free Kindle reader SW. If Stanza supports a lot of formats, the iPhone will be a really nice ebook reader (nice, bright, BIG screen).

EDIT: Here's a list of formats supported by Stanza: Supported Formats | Lexcycle .LIT is supported!!!! If Stanza works well, the iPhone just became a better eBook reader than the typical Symbian smartphone in my books.

Last edited by hydrashok : 7th April 2009 at 14:56.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 15:05   #15
BHPian

anupji, you should really give Stanza a try, if you have the iPhone. The software is free and the utility is mind-blowing. From personal experience, I have used TXT, PDF, LIT and PDB using Stanza on the iPhone.
Some problems with PDF were there in the old version, namely with images in the file. I dont know if that has been resolved.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote