Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th April 2009, 09:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Connection between laptop and desktop

My laptop's dvd drive conked off (it wont burn dvds any more). So i have to use my desktop to burn my dvds. My laptop is my main computer, all my music and videos are in the laptop. Whenever i need to burn a dvd i have to transfer files over wifi from laptop to desktop (both my laptop and desktop use wifi to connect to the internet).
The cheapest way to transfer files between the two comps is a crossover ethernet cable. How do i get this to work ? Just connect the cable into both lan ports ?
Can i connect my desktop dvd drive to the laptop ? Do i need a usb enclosure for this ?
I do not feel the need to replace my laptop dvd drive as it can still read both cds and dvds and write cds, it has a problem with writing dvds only.

Although wireless transfer works, the transfer speed is only 1MBps. To copy about 4gb data, it takes over an hour.
my laptop uses vista and desktop uses xp.
how much would a crossover cable cost and can i get it at any computer store ?
How much is a dvd enclosure ?
What transfer speed can one expect with the ethernet cable ? Around 10MBps ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th April 2009 at 10:12.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:12   #2
BHPian

Your idea works good. And I prefer wired conn for data transfer for DVD ripping etc. Simple windows home networking - get a cross-over cable and connect desktop and laptop. Assign two private class IPs, say 192.168.10.1 (MASK 255.255.255.0) to laptop network adapter and 192.168.10.2 (same mask) to desktop. Add both of them in same work group (right click my computer, computer name tab, Change button and workgroup). Share the folders you need to access, go to my network places and copy to and fro.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Your idea works good. And I prefer wired conn for data transfer for DVD ripping etc. Simple windows home networking - get a cross-over cable and connect desktop and laptop. Assign two private class IPs, say 192.168.10.1 (MASK 255.255.255.0) to laptop network adapter and 192.168.10.2 (same mask) to desktop. Add both of them in same work group (right click my computer, computer name tab, Change button and workgroup). Share the folders you need to access, go to my network places and copy to and fro.
This looks fairly straight forward. I guess all i need to do is buy the cable now.
What are the expected transfer speeds ?
Old 14th April 2009, 10:44   #4
BHPian

You don't even need a 'cross' cable.

Just buy an ordinary ethernet cable and it will work. I've used the method described above by redfire with a simple cable several times, and it works great.

Yes, you can expect 10 MBPS speed easily, peaking to just over 11MBPS.
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:59   #5
BHPian

@d3mon - To connect two computers diectly (without a switch/router/a network device in between) you need a cross ethernet cable. In appearence, both straight and cross cables looks identical, its also a ordinary ethernet cable, same cable with same RJ45 connectors at both ends, but the crimping order of strands inside is different. So ask for cross cable/get it crimped for cross cable when you go to buy one. If it is for connecting to a switch/router/modem/network device ask for straight cable. But many new gen switches/routers identify the cable and do an auto negotiation, so, in networking field, croos cable is almost not necessary now.

Refer this for help How to wire Ethernet Cables
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 13:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
You don't even need a 'cross' cable.

Just buy an ordinary ethernet cable and it will work. I've used the method described above by redfire with a simple cable several times, and it works great.

Yes, you can expect 10 MBPS speed easily, peaking to just over 11MBPS.
Already tried with regular ethernet cable. It doesn't work, you need to have a giga ethernet card or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
@d3mon - To connect two computers diectly (without a switch/router/a network device in between) you need a cross ethernet cable.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:17   #7
BHPian

Get a cross cable as mentioned in the previous posts. Simply connect & give an ip & U are connected.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 18:15   #8
BHPian

Cool Dude,

My 2c worth:
You could try PC-Anywhere s/w for transferring files and/or using resources from one to another.

For connecting your desktop and laptop, you could use a parallel port cable.

I have used this in the past and this works easily.

PS: My suggestion may be dated as I used these set-up some 12-13 years ago.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 18:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Whould a usb cable would work ?
Old 14th April 2009, 18:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Whould a usb cable would work ?
Dude you are trying to be more Cool

it will never work or u get a external drive and use it with a USB cable
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 01:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

i guess you are already using a a router somewhere. just plug both the laptop and desktop to the router's ethernet port with normal straight (two needed in this case) patch cable. Router will take care of Ip with DHCP. just enable file sharing (i guess you already did this).
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 01:18   #12
BHPian

Hi

Please avoid the USB route as the cable (male to male) is generally not available most of the times. (read as manufacturers do not make it enough as there's no market)
A regular pc assembler (dime a dozen on yellow pages or online yellow pages of your city) can make the cross cable for you - its a regular job by any one who has a crimper and a couple of feet of lan wire.

just provide two seperate ips to each pc. say for a home network the actual ips would be 192.168.0.10 for one and 192.168.0.11 for the desktop.
keep the subnet masks the default ones.
do not change anything else, enable file and printer sharing on the network properties window., possibly come on the same network and disable the firewall in XP for this ip only (i donno about vista) you can then share the desktop's drive so that the laptop will be able to see the dvd drive on its network neighbourhood or equivalent explorer window.

cheers if you need anything else do PM or post here.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 08:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i guess you are already using a a router somewhere. just plug both the laptop and desktop to the router's ethernet port with normal straight (two needed in this case) patch cable. Router will take care of Ip with DHCP. just enable file sharing (i guess you already did this).
I thought of this but this means i have to relocate my desktop to another room (my router is in a different room). I had initially thought of this. I guess the crossover cable is the easier choice for me.

@mmmjgm:Will pick up the cable today. Thanks.

Also can i put my desktop's dvd drive in an external usb case.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 15th April 2009 at 08:08.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post

Also can i put my desktop's dvd drive in an external usb case.
The best way is to get a wireless router and put both pcs on the network (you will need a Wifi wireless adaptor for your desktop if it does not have a wifi antennae on the motherboard).

The external USB case is of extremely substandard quality - i've gone thru 2 wasted hard discs using an external USB case. Avoid as far as possible.
The issues with an external casing are Heat management is very very poor.
the electronics are super substandard with poor quality connectors - its made in China, won't say more. Mainly the heat ruins the hdd electronics.

Aparently a DVD drive burning data will emit more heat during the burn process.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

He is already transferring by WiFi and its giving him atrocious transfer rates.

You can get external ventilated USB boxes for DVD drives. When your DVD drives, HDDs, graphics cards, motherboards and just about every ancillary part is made in China anyway, what have you really got to say? You have absolutely no choice but to buy these things and trust that it has been through good QC. Admit it, the world's electronics manufacturing hub is China and Taiwan to a lesser extent.

You can use the crossover cable method for maximum wired speed (100Mbps provided both NICs are that fast).

You should NEVER connect USB ports from one computer to another computer straight up unless you want to see sparks, flames and explosions from both computers. Trust me, they. will. blow. up. You need a device with a dongle in the middle and specialized software if you are going that route.

If your card network cards supports MDI/MDIX, then you can use any kind of cable and have a connection. But most el-cheapo ones don't.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote